Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick, easy, tasty, cheap lunch

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

quick, easy, tasty, cheap lunch

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As I sit here eating my soup for lunch, I was wondering if people have good ideas for something that is quick to make, is cheap, relatively tasty, and is enough to satisfy a lunch-size appetite?

Eating out is not an option. I am trying to find a way to break up my lunch routine.

It is pretty much salad, lunch with wife, healthy choice soup, ramen, sandwich of sorts, wash, rinse repeat.

I have access to a small fridge and a microwave, but that's it.
    Last edited by yukonhorror; 04-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Make yourself some pocket pies. Very tasty and can be made ahead easily.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I usually just eat left over's from dinner the night before. Occasionally I do like to have some homemade pizza because regular pizza is not really on my diet anymore. I don't know if it would qualify as cheap enough, but it is relatively easy to make. Before becoming diabetic I was a big fan of cheap micro-wave burritos with chips and salsa.

The pizza is pretty easy to make.

Pita bread, a couple of spoonfuls of pizza / spaghetti sauce / tomato sauce (plus maybe a little Italian seasoning) spread on the pita. Then just add vegetables, meat and cheese. Bake at 420 for 12 minutes.

Usually the only two things that I buy specifically for pizza is the pita bread and cheese. Though sometimes I buy some pepperoni, which is usually about 3-4 bucks but lasts for a long time if you don't go overboard with them. The pita bread and cheese costs about 4.00 and is usually enough to make 6 pizza's, or 3 lunches for me. As for the vegetables and other toppings I just keep a zip lock bag to put a small amount of things in from when I make other meals, then use those to make the pizza with. I also use a lot of left-over chicken and sometimes meatloaf etc.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take an english muffin (store brands are cheaper than the brand names) and put a little butter or margarine on each half. Next place a slice of cheese on it. Optional (but I liked it), sprikle a little garlic powder on it. Heat them on a plate in a microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds, depending on wattage. Made for a quick breakfast too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PB&J.

I leave the PB and J at work in the fridge and bring a couple of slices of bread each day along with a banana and a handful of nuts.

I use the microwave to warm up the PB and make my sandwich.

My wife was making my sandwich at home but by the time I got to it it was a soggy mushy mess. This is so much better.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This guy at my work does this every day. He has a packet of fresh veg (usually brocoli), a pasta of some sort (rice or spaghetti most of the time) and a piece of meat he pre-cooked on sunday. He slaps the whole thing in the microwave and eats that for lunch every day. Figure if you buy a large enough pork loin or maybe cook up a meatloaf, that might feed you for a few days.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Totinos pepperoni pizza's. A buck a pizza cant be beat.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it. Or get a little chicken breast, cut it up and bread crumb it cook for a few minutres and make your own nuggets.

Or just go to McDonalds and get a couple McDoubles and bring one into work with you.

But the other two ideas taste better.
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [quote=Kaewin;70685]make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it.[quote]

A friend of mine calls this "cancer jello." Not that there's anything wrong with it, just thought I'd share.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We thats a great image for Thanksgiving dinner "Everyone leave room for a good bit of cancer jello!"
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaewin View Post
    We thats a great image for Thanksgiving dinner "Everyone leave room for a good bit of cancer jello!"
    If you're referring to the traditional green jello mold that most WASPs have around that time of year, my mom has another name for it ... but it's not good to say in polite company.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never heard the term "cancer jello" before.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite lunch when I remember or don't have a few leftovers in the fridge is a sandwich. Please don't mistake a slice of lunch meat between two slices of white bread. Nooooooo. One must use whole grain bread of some sort, veggies and meat. I also like to spread some stone ground mustard on the bread and a slice or two of cheese. Nothing like lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onion sprouts, what have you, on top of a sandwich you just made. But I find myself eating left overs more and more lately. Or forgetting to eat. Two meals a day is plenty for me.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another lunch i've been enjoying lately is yam fries. Basically, you chop yams up in the shape of french fries and bake them in the oven. Completely healthy and mmmm good.

When i was a kid, it was always leftovers, sandwiches, rice, and/or pot pies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maruchan Instant Lunch "Spicy Hot Beef"
    Saluti
    Carlos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast