Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's your job?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your job?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's your job?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A friend of mine posits that most gamers are in the tech industry. I'd like to know, what's your job?

Me, I'm an engineer so she's got me pegged. My boyfriend is a linux/unix system administrator, so he follows that pattern, too.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chemical engineer.

Normally I wouldn't say that is "tech", but I do molecular modeling on a computer all day, so yeah, tech.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Previous employment includes telephone tech support, and working database-side inventory for a uniform distribution warehouse.

Current position is student (physical anthropology, going to focus on osteology and forensics). Not sure if that's sufficiently techy, but it is sciencey.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a unit operator for a global oil company. If you consider turning a wrench and troubleshooting unit problems to prevent environmental incidents "technical" then I'm it.

However I was in Special Operations for eight years (and also during my initial love affair with D&D) and I was nowhere near technical in my profession.

Overall, no...I'm not in a technical field.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    addendum.

When I got into gaming (and played it addictively), I was a HS student and new nill about computers and techie stuff. Which is ironic considering that is all I do now, yet I still no nill about computers and techie stuff.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Previous employment includes telephone tech support, and working database-side inventory for a uniform distribution warehouse.

Current position is student (physical anthropology, going to focus on osteology and forensics). Not sure if that's sufficiently techy, but it is sciencey.
    In a similar type of profession. We use lots of tech. but I would not call it part of the tech industry.

I started out in Physical Anthropology but decided after a bit that I'm not so fond of dead people. It's an acquired thing. My friend Patrick could boil body parts in a crock pot with no problem. He always claimed the smell reminded him of Mooshu (Sp?)Pork, but he's always been a little off. Alas, it was not for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    <-- engineer of the software variety

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    In a similar type of profession. We use lots of tech. but I would not call it part of the tech industry.

I started out in Physical Anthropology but decided after a bit that I'm not so fond of dead people. It's an acquired thing. My friend Patrick could boil body parts in a crock pot with no problem. He always claimed the smell reminded him of Mooshu (Sp?)Pork, but he's always been a little off. Alas, it was not for me.
    Yeah, one of my professors said you can either handle it (the smell), or ya can't. For me, it's not so much the smell, but gooey stuff that sets off my ick. (Having a cat curbs most of that reaction, what with hairballs and such, but it's always there, heh.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    /guilty
    My company makes video games. Hard for me not to be techy.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my introduction:

...One good thing about gaming happened several years earlier after returning from Germany. I used computers to manage my games. I learned to program to create character generation and monitoring programs. I got a programming job after I got out of the military and then moved to LAN installation and administration. Novell, 3Com, Microsoft, Dos and OS/2. It's a big reason I moved into LAN parties. I already had a home network. I got into usenet and enjoyed using Mosaic to retrieve information from the new World Wide Web.

I downloaded Slackware Linux to floppy disks and mucked about with it. I changed jobs again from a Windows admin and became a Solaris Unix admin. Irix, AIX, HP-UX, Tru64, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Red Hat, Slackware, Mandrake, but mainly Solaris...
    So yea

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    /guilty
    My company makes video games. Hard for me not to be techy.
    My brother would be so jealous. He has two goals in life;

1. Get paid to watch TV
    2. Get paid to play or develop video games.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel alone, I am a stay at home dad. Not very techie but hey someone needs to keep the house and watch the brats. But I am not someone who lost their job and has to do this, its an dunderstaning by my wife the princess. She wants to live a certain set of standards and I am to make them for her.
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How did that get arranged? Mebbe I can work a similar setup

So I guess if the hypothesis were expanded from gamer=tech worker to gamer=science/tech worker that it would catch most people. My six players work:
    in a game store
    in a pet store (x2)
    as a social worker
    in various computer jobs

The last one I'm not sure of, as it hasn't come up.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Downloads
    Uploads
    Senior Web User Interface Developer.

When I first started working after college, beyond your typical non-career jobs, I worked in the film industry for a short period of time. Tried to make it a career, but didn't know enough people on the in the business.

So I switched career paths and started doing tech work.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Film industry? Sounds like a story there The only people I ever knew in the "film industry" made educational videos for the local school board.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast