Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How far from "canonical D&D" would you go?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • If it's not Forgotten Realms/Eberron (pick one) it's crap!

5 2.58%
  • I want everything in the PHB, or I'm out.

7 3.61%
  • Any game I play must have my favorite races/classes

8 4.12%
  • If I liked the setting enough, I'd try it.

93 47.94%
  • Just give me a d20, I'm good

81 41.75%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: would you play OGL rules that weren't D&D

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opinion: would you play OGL rules that weren't D&D

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My "Orc Lands" campaign is on the rocks. I only have two players currently, which means that if either one can't make it the game doesn't go on.

One solution I've considered is to convert systems from BRP to a D&D variant. Magic in this world is very subtle and indirect, mainly the influence of spirits on mortal minds, so the D&D spellcasting classes would be inappropriate. Borrowing from Omega World, I thought all orcs would be one class, based on the Fighter but with greater flexibility in skills and feats, including some abilities from other classes. (I've also thought of emulating how 4e skills work with additional feats, and a consolidated skill list, but that's not a given.)

So I ask the group: how many D&D 3.x players would want to play such a thing? Would you be willing to play without clerics and wizards (etc.)? Do you want a selection of classes, even if they have no spells? Would you want to play not-evil orcs, or would you miss being humans, elves, dwarves, and the rest?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My answer: YES!
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I choose "if I like they setting". However I haven't played D&D since the ol' advanced days. I have since progressed on to other systems that don't limit creativity.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll have to tread carefully and modify some of the rest / recuperation rules if you want to eliminate healing spells from the game altogether. Either that, or you cannot have as much combat as D&D assumes the typical adventure will contain.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    You'll have to tread carefully and modify some of the rest / recuperation rules if you want to eliminate healing spells from the game altogether. Either that, or you cannot have as much combat as D&D assumes the typical adventure will contain.
    Following in Omega World's footsteps, I was thinking of using Unearthed Arcana's Reserve Point mechanism. Also, in the world of the Orc Lands, there aren't a lot of big monsters: other orcs, humans, animals, mutants of the Wastelands. It's primarily an exploration/investigation/negotiation game.

One piece I still need to figure out, if I do a conversion, is how to translate the POW statistic, which is a direct measure of psychic force. It's important in Spirit Combat and in the ritual-based "spirit magic" system I designed.

EDIT: One tack is to synthesize POW from an average of WIS and CHA, and transplant the BRP rules. Maybe a better one is to use Incantations with an Occult skill, and come up with some Spirit Combat mechanic using multiple Will saves.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 04-12-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    I only have two players currently, which means that if either one can't make it the game doesn't go on.
    I'm sorry, but I take HUGE exception to this statement!!

As a DM for two years with only ONE player, I discovered SO much more about my world and the NPC's that live there than I EVER would have had there been a full party. With only one character, the player had to be much more cautious - and since he was so cautious, I had to provide MUCH more background and detail info than were he just headstrong and charged ahead.

And then he made my DM day. One day he sat down, set up his provisions and sold everything he couldn't carry - and said the words that made my DM heart swell with pride.

He said, "I'm heading west until I can't go west any more."

All I had was my central kingdom mapped and detailed.... and he knew that the kingdom was on the eastern coast.

The things he made me come up with to assist him in his westerly quest are still used in my campaign today.

So I just have to say, don't poo-poo the idea that one PC screws things up. It makes you think more - which is always a good thing!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ]I only have two players currently, which means that if either one can't make it the game doesn't go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    I'm sorry, but I take HUGE exception to this statement!!

As a DM for two years with only ONE player, I discovered SO much more about my world and the NPC's that live there than I EVER would have had there been a full party. With only one character, the player had to be much more cautious - and since he was so cautious, I had to provide MUCH more background and detail info than were he just headstrong and charged ahead.
    It's different when you have 2 PCs, and half of them don't show up. It's also different when you're running BRP, where combat is deadly enough, and neither of your PCs is a primary combatant. I simply can't think of enough non-combat challenges to keep people amused ... and it simply doesn't make sense to send one guy (or even two) out into the Wasteland alone. Of course, then I have the problem of NPCs fighting other NPCs.

I've thought about running a one-on-one game, though, even after seeing "Fear of Girls". I'd have to make sure the single PC could take care of himself in a fight, though ... especially since I prefer Conanesque swords-and-sorcery to high fantasy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I ask the group: how many D&D 3.x players would want to play such a thing? Would you be willing to play without clerics and wizards (etc.)? Do you want a selection of classes, even if they have no spells? Would you want to play not-evil orcs, or would you miss being humans, elves, dwarves, and the rest?
    I'd give it a try. But I like lots of magic, so no clerics and wizards would be tough for me. And since there wouldn't be clerics and wizard, you'd have to have some cool classes to choose from. i'd play a non-evil orc, though, no prob.
    Beaumont Sebos

Downloads
    Uploads
    i've DMed before in your situation of two players and only one showing. just make up npc's and allow the players to play them or give the players a chance to have more than one character in the game. it is your world and you can create any rules you want and run it as you see fit, just remember to make it fun for the players no matter whether you dont have spellcasters or not or whether you play other races like orcs or even minotaurs or goblins or whatever. the group im involved in played a homebrew game where wwe all played a bunch of hobgoblins or dragon like characters made up by the dm and it was actually a lot of fun playing something other than the standard type races. never give up. just do what is fun!!!!!!!!!!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i agree with cpljarhjead. I have run many a game with a single player. Truth be told, some of those were very memorable.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's different when you have 2 PCs, and half of them don't show up. It's also different when you're running BRP, where combat is deadly enough, and neither of your PCs is a primary combatant. I simply can't think of enough non-combat challenges to keep people amused ... and it simply doesn't make sense to send one guy (or even two) out into the Wasteland alone. Of course, then I have the problem of NPCs fighting other NPCs.
    An urban setting often works well in this situation. Sometimes Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser are together, and sometimes they're working on their own personal projects in different parts of the city.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just give me a dice, a setting, a character, and lets play something.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Just give me a dice, a setting, a character, and lets play something.
    Now thats the attitude i like to see. Youre welcome to sit in on my games, anytime, Soft Serve.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Now thats the attitude i like to see. Youre welcome to sit in on my games, anytime, Soft Serve.
    Alright pre-roll me a character. I'd like a goatee, and my lightsaber shall be orange.

...wait what game?

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Alright pre-roll me a character. I'd like a goatee, and my lightsaber shall be orange.

...wait what game?
    Your character would fit right in to one of my Traveller campaigns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast