Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: No Arcane Spell Failure for Divine Bard/Cleric?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    No Arcane Spell Failure for Divine Bard/Cleric?

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So, I have a multiclass Level 1 Divine Bard/Level 1 Cleric.

    I was a little bummed because I wouldn't be able to use heavy armor without a chance of arcane spell failure for the Bard spells. But I resigned myself to the fact.

    But then it occured to me... a Divine Bard casts divine spells, not arcane spells.

    Although not specifically stated in the rules for a Divine Bard, it would seem I can use heavy armor without incurring the penalty.

    Right?
    Beaumont Sebos

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    houston
    Age
    44
    Posts
    650
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    It's called "Arcane spell failure", not "Divine spell failure". Were I your DM, you'd be good.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,025
    Blog Entries
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I don't play 3.x but I'll throw me .02 cents in anyway. It's my understanding that Divine spells are granted by the God/s and not learned. Basically they are more like prayers for assistance than spells, or at least do not require knowledge, skill or anything else to cast, other than faith. The Gods may be fickle, but they do not fail. I would have to agree with you guys.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    20
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'd agree. If I were your DM I would also allow interpret it as Divine Magic without failure possibilities.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    694
    Blog Entries
    15
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Depends on what a divine bard is. If the bard is casting "divine" spells, but doing so in the same way an arcane bard does, then there's a spell failure chance since the bard still has to perform to cast the spell. Note that normal bards can already cast Cure spells, but that doesn't mean that they can ignore spell failure chances.

    You might petition to go full Cleric, and substitute turning undead for a bard music ability. Or go full bard, and take Armor Proficiency and Still Spell.
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.20
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdown...ownloadid=1068

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    722
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If the spell is Divine heavy armor is fine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    Depends on what a divine bard is. If the bard is casting "divine" spells, but doing so in the same way an arcane bard does, then there's a spell failure chance since the bard still has to perform to cast the spell. Note that normal bards can already cast Cure spells, but that doesn't mean that they can ignore spell failure chances.

    You might petition to go full Cleric, and substitute turning undead for a bard music ability. Or go full bard, and take Armor Proficiency and Still Spell.
    The variant states:

    "A divine bard learns and casts spells as a normal bard with some minor exceptions. A divine bard's spells are divine spells, not arcane spells. To learn to cast a spell, a divine bard must have a Wis score (not Cha score) equal to at least 10 + the spell level. All other spellcasting factors, including bonus spells and save DCs, are still determined using the divine bard's Cha score."

    It's a bit of both... but I'm leaning toward no arcane spell failure since the spells are specifically divine.

    It just seems to me to be too easy of a way to get around not being able to wear heavy armor.
    Beaumont Sebos

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Graham
    Age
    25
    Posts
    211
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Yeah, the divine bard variant is cool. The one thing about it that makes me sad though, is that alot of the cool bardic prestige classes (Sublime Chord, Virtuoso, etc) require arcane casting of a certain level to get in. On the plus side though, the divine bard can use any armor (by my reading of it at least), and can use divine metamagic (the errata of which states it only applies to divine spells)

    Speaking of which, that gives me a beautiful idea... Divine Bard + Druid + Green Ear (druid bard hybrid casting class from dragon magazine, 5 levels, interesting stuff) + evasion somehow + 1 level sacred exorcist for turn undead to use divine feats + the remaining levels in Fochlucan Lyrist. Should have a very high caster level on both sides, plenty of bardic musics, and come out a pretty strong build.

    Sorry for the rant, when I get going sometimes its hard to stop lol, but yeah, bard+cleric is hard because as far as I know there isn't a prestige class to tie them together. (aka you'll either lose out on your bard spells and music, or your turn undead level and clerical casting.) good luck man.
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucian-Sunaka View Post
    Yeah, the divine bard variant is cool. The one thing about it that makes me sad though, is that alot of the cool bardic prestige classes (Sublime Chord, Virtuoso, etc) require arcane casting of a certain level to get in. On the plus side though, the divine bard can use any armor (by my reading of it at least), and can use divine metamagic (the errata of which states it only applies to divine spells)

    Speaking of which, that gives me a beautiful idea... Divine Bard + Druid + Green Ear (druid bard hybrid casting class from dragon magazine, 5 levels, interesting stuff) + evasion somehow + 1 level sacred exorcist for turn undead to use divine feats + the remaining levels in Fochlucan Lyrist. Should have a very high caster level on both sides, plenty of bardic musics, and come out a pretty strong build.

    Sorry for the rant, when I get going sometimes its hard to stop lol, but yeah, bard+cleric is hard because as far as I know there isn't a prestige class to tie them together. (aka you'll either lose out on your bard spells and music, or your turn undead level and clerical casting.) good luck man.
    Wow! Thanks for the idea. I'm gonna hafta check into it.
    Beaumont Sebos

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,897
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    3
    I'd agree that the Divine Bard should probably not have spell casting failure penalties for casting his divine spells while wearing encumbering armor. Of course, he still needs to purchase the feats to wear it and some of the bard's other roguish skills are going to take a hit as a result.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    houston
    Age
    44
    Posts
    650
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I'd agree that the Divine Bard should probably not have spell casting failure penalties for casting his divine spells while wearing encumbering armor. Of course, he still needs to purchase the feats to wear it and some of the bard's other roguish skills are going to take a hit as a result.
    He's multiclassed in cleric, so he shouldn't need to burn the feat for armor.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,897
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    He's multiclassed in cleric, so he shouldn't need to burn the feat for armor.
    Ah. So, what you are saying is that I need to pay attention to the original post. LOL
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    4,174
    Blog Entries
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Ah. So, what you are saying is that I need to pay attention to the original post. LOL
    No doing anything rash, now~!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    houston
    Age
    44
    Posts
    650
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Ah. So, what you are saying is that I need to pay attention to the original post. LOL
    Well....

    Last edited by agoraderek; 04-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dearborn
    Posts
    7,262
    Blog Entries
    13
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    1
    I would think a Bard has other reasons to avoid heavy armor. They are more than just spell casters and mobility would be valued for more than just casting spells.

    Avoid the heavy armor.

    But divine spells are not arcane spells. Restrictions would be per god I would think.

    Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic
    By CelestialBarbarian in forum 3.x Edition & Pathfinder
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
  2. Ask a GM [08/12/08]: Making Failure Cool
    By Farcaster in forum Ask a GM
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
  3. [D&D] Arcane Power Excerpts: Arcane Hunter
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 11:00 PM
  4. Looking For a Cleric (D&D 3.5e)
    By Caligula in forum Play by Post Games
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM
  5. Spell Points over spell slots
    By upidstay in forum Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 05:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •