Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Deadlands?

Downloads
    Uploads

Deadlands?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey folks. I know I'm new here, and I'm pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to RP experience and such, but I was introduced by a friend in Colorado to the Savage Worlds roleplaying system and the Deadlands and Deadlands: Reloaded roleplaying settings. After reading over the books and hearing a few stories from folks who've played it, it sounds like an amazing game to run and play in.

The steampunk/survival horror element seems to blend well with the Old West, and just making it Weird takes it one step further that makes me really want to play a gunslinger with a vendetta against a werewolf, or something equally supernatural like that. The problem is, past this one friend of mine, I've never heard anything about it! What's the deal?

Do folks around here like Deadlands or Deadlands: Reloaded? I'm still really new to it, but I think I'd love to play in a game, or at the very least talk about it - maybe even try to run a game or two if I can get a handle on the Savage Worlds stuff.
    But, for a certainty, back then we loved so many, yet hated so much; we hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind, whilst our laughter echoed under cerulean skies...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Takatchi View Post
    Hey folks. I know I'm new here, and I'm pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to RP experience and such, but I was introduced by a friend in Colorado to the Savage Worlds roleplaying system and the Deadlands and Deadlands: Reloaded roleplaying settings. After reading over the books and hearing a few stories from folks who've played it, it sounds like an amazing game to run and play in.

The steampunk/survival horror element seems to blend well with the Old West, and just making it Weird takes it one step further that makes me really want to play a gunslinger with a vendetta against a werewolf, or something equally supernatural like that. The problem is, past this one friend of mine, I've never heard anything about it! What's the deal?

Do folks around here like Deadlands or Deadlands: Reloaded? I'm still really new to it, but I think I'd love to play in a game, or at the very least talk about it - maybe even try to run a game or two if I can get a handle on the Savage Worlds stuff.
    I've played quite a bit of generic home brew Savage Worlds over the years, but I've only recently had a chance to play a couple of Pinnacle Entertainment's official supplements. By recently, I mean in the last few weeks, so my experience is limited...

Deadlands Reloaded
    was one that I played over a recent holiday. Along with Savage World of Solomon Kane. I cannot recommend them highly enough. For more detail as to why I hold them in such high esteem, you may wish to read this thread. Next on my list is Pirates of the Spanish Main, and I've also heard really good things about Sundered Skies.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    I managed to play one game of Deadlands Classic and one game of Deadlands Reloaded. I liked the former, but the latter just seemed smoother, easier.

I really want to get a character concept I had for the Deadlands Reloaded game off the ground, so I'm hoping that at some point a GM will do a game or two. He's like a mix of Bill from Kill Bill with Clint Eastwood's classic "Man with no name" and his more recent performance in Gran Torino, but he's also friggin' crazy. In that "Old man shoot-you-in-the-leg-over-whiskey" way.

I don't think I'm qualified to run anything of that sort, both because I'm not terribly good at spinning a Wild West yarn, and I'm also still too unfamiliar with the rules. =\
    But, for a certainty, back then we loved so many, yet hated so much; we hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind, whilst our laughter echoed under cerulean skies...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer classic. However I have no problems with 1980s quirky rules rpgs. The new one is certainly more streamlined but for me it feel bland and uninteresting. Pinnacle is reprinting some of the classic so hooray for me!
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Longmont, eh? I'm looking at starting a new group now that we've moved to Longmont and am toying with Deadlands, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, or continuing with Shadowrun.

What do you think

Do you hang over at Stonebridge at all?

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow... this takes me back.

We had one of the most over the top Deadlands campaigns when it was originally released.

I was playing a samurai character (modelled after Toshiro Mifune's character in the movie Red Sun with Charles Bronson) and was a combat monster. Wielded the big pick sticker and wore a two gun rig with a 10 gallon hat.

I also had an old Indian shaman sidekick... emphasis on OLD who kept getting into trouble.

If I recall correctly, we found what amounted to a steampowered motorcycle, complete with sidecar.

What a sight it was... samurai on a motorcycle with his trusty Indian companion in the sidecar... motoring across the Old West. I think when the campaign ended, we were looking for a gatling gun to mount on the sidecar.

Obviously, not the most dark Deadlands campaign....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    Longmont, eh? I'm looking at starting a new group now that we've moved to Longmont and am toying with Deadlands, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, or continuing with Shadowrun.

What do you think

Do you hang over at Stonebridge at all?

Carl
    I don't go down to many game shops, actually, since I've only recently moved to the Longmont area and my traveling options are limited to where I can walk to, or get a ride. :P

I've heard a lot of fun things about All Flesh, and as you can tell by the thread I'm interested in Deadlands Reloaded. Shadowrun, or at least Shadowrun 4E, I've read up on some and even made a character for a proposed game, but so far that group fell through AND it was the only one I've ever been invited to.

Keep me in mind if you ever want to hook up with a fellow Colorado geek.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Takatchi View Post
    I don't go down to many game shops, actually, since I've only recently moved to the Longmont area and my traveling options are limited to where I can walk to, or get a ride. :P

I've heard a lot of fun things about All Flesh, and as you can tell by the thread I'm interested in Deadlands Reloaded. Shadowrun, or at least Shadowrun 4E, I've read up on some and even made a character for a proposed game, but so far that group fell through AND it was the only one I've ever been invited to.

Keep me in mind if you ever want to hook up with a fellow Colorado geek.
    I'm over on Cornell. Between Airport and Hover and south of 17th. Less than a mile per the guide.

I run a Shadowrun 4th game now every other Sunday (next week being the next one). There are a couple of floating positions in the group. A regular group of 4 or 5 with the last two being for people who are interested in checking out the game but they don't seem to last long. I pick up Jason on 23rd and Main before the game as he comes by bus from Boulder.

As I said, I'm interested in starting up another game and am thinking of what I want to run. I'm heavily interested in Shadowrun (obviously ) but I've always liked Westerns and Horror. And who doesn't like Zombies I was thinking of a campaign like survival horror vs the 'B' movie stuck in the mall AFMBE game or giving D:R a try.

Check the Denver Meetup site in my sig. It's how I arrange my games (I'm one of the organizers). If there's a spot open in Sunday's game, I don't have a problem picking you up if you don't mind a ride on a sportbike

Carl
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet, I'd definitely be interested, although the near future for me is pretty cluttered. Also, it's only fair to warn you that I am prone to screaming death, taking me anywhere on a bike might be a terrible idea. :P

Done and joined, too. I'll let you know what's up with me in the future and see if I can at least sit in on a game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool beans. I'll check and approve the request

Carl

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want a bit of a closer look at Deadlands and Savage Worlds, please feel free to check out my video reviews of them on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Webhead123
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Deadlands

Deadlands Classic is my favorite RPG
    Ever.