Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Getting back into the game

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting back into the game

I will soon be starting a new game with my old gaming group from a couple of years ago. and of course with a couple new additions. One being Chi.

Anyhoo. none of us have really played in a long while. so where should i start?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Assuming you are wanting to play 3.5 version of D&D (That is what you placed in your thread) it will depend on where you left off on D&D.

1. Wizards still has many support docs and adventures in it's online archive (you will have to sort it through all the 4e crap from last year). They don't "officially" support it anymore.

2. Familiarize with the rules in the PHB which includes all the race, spell, class, and combat information. That will be the brunt of the changes from earlier editions. Though I must confess I really never played 2e much as 1e and 3e. Finding a 3.5 PHB maybe a little tricky unless you buy off someone else. The DMG and Monster manual would be good.

3. As an Alternative you can play Pathfinder from Pazio which is "D&D 3.75". Rules are free.

Let me know if you need "more".

wizarddog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by wizarddog View Post
    Assuming you are wanting to play 3.5 version of D&D (That is what you placed in your thread) it will depend on where you left off on D&D.

1. Wizards still has many support docs and adventures in it's online archive (you will have to sort it through all the 4e crap from last year). They don't "officially" support it anymore.

2. Familiarize with the rules in the PHB which includes all the race, spell, class, and combat information. That will be the brunt of the changes from earlier editions. Though I must confess I really never played 2e much as 1e and 3e. Finding a 3.5 PHB maybe a little tricky unless you buy off someone else. The DMG and Monster manual would be good.

3. As an Alternative you can play Pathfinder from Pazio which is "D&D 3.75". Rules are free.

Let me know if you need "more".

wizarddog
    Where do i find pathfinder?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriondel Half-Elven View Post
    Thanks all!

Where do i find pathfinder?
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As wizarddog has said, Paizo's Pathfinder 3.75 is free. They've done some nice tweaking with the rules. Check it out when you find the time.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, you didn't miss much time. Nice move.

As for where you should start. How about you start where you left off, sort of. Age all the old players and have the players play the children of the old PC's. Some new threats, some old NPC's and some new and old boss monsters. "My dad warned me about you!" lol

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd start off brainstorming with your players about the type of game everyone wants to have.

Getting back up to speed with the rules won't be a challenge for very long; but getting together an idea of the setting and adventures that everyone wants, and then doing the work to make it ready... that's always a challenge and the sooner you know what you want to do the sooner you can start it!
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would recommend sticking with base 3x and cherry picking from the Pathfinder Beta for now. The Beta was designed to be somewhat "out there" (it's a playtest document, after all), to test the limits, so to speak. When Pathfinder RPG is released in August, a lot of the changes in the beta will be removed or different.

Also, if you're going to use the beta, get all of the web enhancements available for it, and sift through the play test threads, as quite a few of the changes that might appear in the final rules were posted by Jason.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek