Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Epic Princess Diana of the Amazons Stats? :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Epic Princess Diana of the Amazons Stats? :-)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Has anyone ever tried to develop D&D 3.5 stats for Princess Diana of the Amazons, aka Wonder Woman? I'm thinking more of the Silver Age version, where she basically had attained the peak of human physical and mental training, and had a few nice magic items, like the bracelets, the Lasso of Truth and maybe the returning crown (which I think appeared in the Lynda Carter versions, but might or might not have appeared in the Silver Age comics, as I don't recall). I'm thinking about introducing an NPC based on her who might help out the party; she's not meant to be an adversary.

As a rough idea, I was thinking of making her perhaps a 30th level monk. I thought I'd make her bracelets bracers of epic armor, maybe +12, but also have them grant the wearer with the Infinite Deflection feat (which I've powered down a bit to allow one free deflection and then use the old 3.0 mechanic more or less for each subsequent deflection) if someone already has the Deflect Arrows feat (or grant Deflect Arrow if the wearer doesn't have it).

I'm thinking of maybe making her crown or tiara a thrown, blunt weapon that does maybe 1d6+Strength, with the returning ability, perhaps +6, through which she can use Stunning Fist or Improved Trip or both (since she often knocked down and knocked out bad guys with it in the TV series). Perhaps when she's wearing it, it grants her a +6 deflection bonus to AC and a +6 resistance bonus to saving throws.

The lasso I was thinking would act like a dominate person, but only to make the person answer questions, and answer them truthfully. I thought about maybe a dominate monster effect, but I recall in an episode of Bruce Timm's Justice League, she tried to use the lasso on a demon or something and the demon just ignored the lasso's ability and used the lasso's rope to pull her to itself so it could knock her off her feet.

Most of the illustrations of her show her wearing some sort of belt, even in her very first incarnation in the Gold Age when she wore a skirt. Even though I don't recall any references to the belt as having any role other than functional (and fashionable), I was thinking of making it a belt of epic strength, perhaps +8.

For her ability scores, I was thinking of starting her with an 18 in every one, and then advancing her from there, perhaps most or all of the increases going into her Strength. Without magic items to boost other abilities scores, however, she might remain at a disadvantage at 30th level, where almost everyone has magic items to boost Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom. Perhaps I could just make her bracelets bracers of relentless might (with the ability to grant Infinite Deflection) and skip the belt of epic strength. I could have the tiara grant a +8 bonus to Wisdom. Maybe I could make those funky boots she wears into boots of swiftness. Then the belt, boots and crown would cover Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom.

The Silver Age version had a goofy invisible plane, although I'm not sure how amazons had access to aircraft, much less invisible ones. Bruce Timm brought back the invisible airplane, if I recall correctly, although his Diana, like the current one, could fly on her own. How about an invisible flying carpet?

In the Silver Age version, Diana as an infant received the blessings of various Greek gods so that she was stronger, smarter and faster than a normal human (although nothing like she's gotten to be now). I was thinking about perhaps making her a quasi-deity (divine rank 0) to reflect those blessings, or perhaps giving her higher starting ability scores (perhaps a 20 in each), or applying some sort of template (which is more or less what being a quasi-deity does, although that doesn't increase any ability scores). The paragon template in ELH, while fitting in concept, simply adds too much power. It would raise her ECL from 30 to 45. I do have a race with an LA of +2 that grants a +2 to every ability score, and actually the race happens to look a lot like she does: tall, light-skinned, and black-haired. So I could just use that race to boost her starting ability scores to 20.

Well these are my preliminary thoughts. How do these sound? What other helpful ideas or suggestions come to mind? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest searching the Atomic Think Tank for information concerning the character. Now granted, any stats you find for her will be using the Mutants and Masterminds system, you should be able to use that as a starting point for working out 3.5 stats for her.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I would suggest searching the Atomic Think Tank for information concerning the character. Now granted, any stats you find for her will be using the Mutants and Masterminds system, you should be able to use that as a starting point for working out 3.5 stats for her.
    Thanks, Skunk! I took a gander at the site and did a few searches, but as they discuss Wonder Woman frequently, each search came up with dozens or hundreds of posts (including ones that just have "wonder" and "woman" separately) so nothing jumped out at me. Maybe I'll check again later if I ever have more time between working two jobs and DMing. Thanks again!

Years ago I recall running across a website that had an entry for each superhero that included things like height and weight. I seem to recall reading that Superman was 6'4", Batman 6'2", and Big Barta 6'8". I was looking around for it earlier but couldn't find anything. Does anyone by any chance know where I could find that information again? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, it can be hard to find info on there. When I get some time, I'll try and find one of the threads that actually have the characters built out on them. It's much easier to find the characters that way.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, it can be hard to find info on there. When I get some time, I'll try and find one of the threads that actually have the characters built out on them. It's much easier to find the characters that way.
    At Dicefreaks someone gave me the following url: http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopi...&t=712&start=0. It used their Immortals Handbook, as I think they call it, so it differs significantly than standard 3rd Ed epic material, but it's still cool.

Someone at Dicefreaks also directed me to http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page as a good source for material on DC characters. Of course I'm not trying to replicate Wonder Woman perfectly so much as create an NPC for my campaign world inspired by her, but I still find the website useful and frankly just enjoyable for it's own sake.

If you do find something, by all means share it with me! You're probably got responsibilities that take precedence, however, so I understand if you don't have time to get to it. While I'm still spending time sporadically during the week creating new material for the campaign I'm running, I actually had to cancel last Saturday and probably will again this coming Saturday as I'm really under the gun at both jobs simultaneously!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, it only took me a few minutes of time, while avoiding working!

This link is to the forum where most of the character write ups are at.

This link actually is a Wonder Woman write up.

I'm sure you'll need to modify any of them you look at as they're built towards a superhero write up and you're looking for a DnD one, but they'll provide you with some great research!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, it only took me a few minutes of time, while avoiding working!

This link is to the forum where most of the character write ups are at.

This link actually is a Wonder Woman write up.

I'm sure you'll need to modify any of them you look at as they're built towards a superhero write up and you're looking for a DnD one, but they'll provide you with some great research!
    Thanks, Skunkape, these are great! They're very interesting in that I think I understand some of the stats, but not all of them. Is this a d20 game? I didn't expect it to be, so I didn't expect to really follow much of their stats at all. I assume that PL translates into CR more or less (and I'm guessing stands for Power Level). I see that Superman has a Strength score of only 43 or 48, depending on the version, which would be relatively weak in my epic campaign. My version of Diana currently has a 46 Strength, although that's with a +12 enhancement bonus, but still I'm trying to go more by the Silver Age Diana. Without going back and looking it up, I think I gave my Kal-El analogue a Strength score of 200, making him the second-strongest being in the universe. It does make him a little hard to use. Anyway, thanks again very much!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are very welcome, glad to be of help. If I remember correctly, yes it's a d20 game. Course, I could be wrong, you know, old-timers disease and all!

I actually bought the game and like it, just the group I play with doesn't want to play a supers game. I also think the PL is power level, but like I said, old-timers disease!

Oh and Superman's strength, there is a power called, Super Strength that modifies his Strength stat, but I don't remember how it works!
    Last edited by Skunkape; 04-07-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are very welcome, glad to be of help. If I remember correctly, yes it's a d20 game. Course, I could be wrong, you know, old-timers disease and all!

I actually bought the game and like it, just the group I play with doesn't want to play a supers game. I also think the PL is power level, but like I said, old-timers disease!

Oh and Superman's strength, there is a power called, Super Strength that modifies his Strength stat, but I don't remember how it works!
    Yeah, I have that problem with old-timer's disease too, especially after playing D&D for 30+ years. Maybe I should get a copy of the game too. Is it the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd that's the d20 game?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe so. I'll double check my copy when I get home later tonight and if it's not, I'll let you know. I like M&M rules, although I have yet to run/play a game, but from reading them, they look good to me.

No where near as math intensive as Champions but still seem to capture the superhero genre.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe so. I'll double check my copy when I get home later tonight and if it's not, I'll let you know. I like M&M rules, although I have yet to run/play a game, but from reading them, they look good to me.

No where near as math intensive as Champions but still seem to capture the superhero genre.
    I vaguely recall Champions from the 1980s, as it had ads or material in Dragon. At least I think that was the Champions game. I know it was some sort of superhero game. I might have the wrong one though.

I put
    Mutants & Masterminds: RPG - 2nd Edition

on my Amazon.com wish list. If that's not the d20 game, please do let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by CelestialBarbarian; 04-09-2009 at 07:14 PM.