Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cartoons

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Old Cartoons

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    After years (literally) of searching, my sister finally found a cartoon we both vaguely recalled loving as kids. All we could remember is that there was a magic, glowing feather and a blue donkey in it. So imagine my surprise when she found the thing, called The Magic Pony or The Humpbacked Pony depending on if you have the '70's english dub or the '30's Russian version.

Finding it has encouraged me to go looking for all those obscure cartoons I used to watch when I was little. We had a shoddy movie store near us called Movie Land where they had a kids section full of old, strange and foreign cartoons. Some of the ones I've found are:

Twelve Months: A Japanese animation of a Slavic Cinderella-style fairy tale.
    Flight of Dragons: A cartoon about a board game designer who becomes the hero in his own fantasy world
    The Last Unicorn: Fantasy tale about (you guessed it) the last unicorn in the world
    The Wild Swans: Another fairy tale about a young girl who must make sweaters out nettles to save her 11 brothers from a witch's curse
    The Secret of Nimh: A story about a colony of mice and rats on a rural farm and their fight for survival.

I'm still looking for one cartoon whose title I cannot remember. It was in color and the story was about a group of boys from a school that are shipwrecked on an island. Eventually a woman washes up on shore and she cooks for them and mends their clothes and such. She is a survivor of a pirate attack on her ship, and the pirates come looking for her. I think she had their treasure map or something. The boys defeat the pirates by setting booby traps in the tree-top city they built and eventually they are rescued. There's also a grizzly nightmare sequence where one of the boys dreams that they will all grow old and die on the island. Anyone know what cartoon this is?

What cartoons do you remember from your childhood?
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I totally have Flight of Dragons and Secret of Nimh.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's obsessed with old cartoons. I also ended up with Care Bears movies, the ones that nobody knows about, like the Nutcracker Suite Christmas Special they did. Or the Adventures in Wonderland. I also own the Chipmunk Adventure, where they go around the world in hot air balloons...

I've read the story of the swans one, but I've only ever found it as a children's storybook.

And everyone thought I was weird...
    Last edited by RMajere; 04-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    one I can't find is phantom tollbooth.

It is about this kid who is lazy, and he goes through the phantom tollbooth and learns the powers of math and reading. Kind of a hokey message, but I still watched it all the time.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RMajere View Post
    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's obsessed with old cartoons. I also ended up with Care Bears movies, the ones that nobody knows about, like the Nutcracker Suite Christmas Special they did. Or the Adventures in Wonderland. I also own the Chipmunk Adventure, where they go around the world in hot air balloons...
    I totally remember both of those

And everyone thought I was weird...
    Hehe, remember where you are RMajere. You're among people just as weird as you
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been searching for the phantom tollbooth for years! If you find a copy let me know, or copy it and send it to me!

I've been thinking for awhile now that I could collect these movies and things, and get the rights to put them on DVD and sell them. I don't know how successful it'd be, but I would like it.
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another one is the california raisins thing that was on CBS ages ago. It was kind of like behind the music before there was a behind the music.

I check netflix and youtube periodically, but no luck on phantom tollbooth. I used to have it recored on VHS, but got lost somehow.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to watch Thundercats, He-man, She-ra and I might have come across the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon once or twice. I also vividly remember Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

There are a lot of others...and I did watch the Care Bears...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Smurfs...to name a few.

I'm pretty sure I can remember a lot more, but I can't think right now.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i heard with the success of the transformers movie, they are making a live-action thundercats movie.

I also remember silverhawks and this cartoon that had a different short each night. There were four choices. Karate Kat, Monster camp, can't remember the 3rd one, and there was one like thundercats and silverhawks, but it had to do with anthropomorphic sea creatures (the leader was a shark, the chick was an octopus).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh! Does anybody remember Widget the World Watcher? Little purple alien guy who shapeshifts into animals to help a group of kids become more environmentally conscious? Before Captain Planet...

Or the Wuzzles? I can't even explain them well, you'll just have to look them up!

I totally did the Smurfs, Snorks, He-Man, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (before they got all weird, have you seen them now?)

OOO how about Pirates of Dark Water? Anybody?
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashene View Post
    I used to watch Thundercats, He-man, She-ra and I might have come across the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon once or twice. I also vividly remember Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

There are a lot of others...and I did watch the Care Bears...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Smurfs...to name a few.

I'm pretty sure I can remember a lot more, but I can't think right now.
    I totally did the Smurfs, Snorks, He-Man, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (before they got all weird, have you seen them now?)

OOO how about Pirates of Dark Water? Anybody?
    I remember all of these. I'll add Jem! to the pile and that dinosaur one that used to come on before Quantum Leap. All the characters had dinosaur or bone related names and they fought ... something or other. I just remember there was an allosaur because I had to go look those up in my encyclopedia

On non-TV cartoons, does anyone remember An American Tale? I occasionally sing "There Are No Cats in America" to my two cats for my own amusement . I'm sure they think I'm nuts, but they just don't understand me.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    i heard with the success of the transformers movie, they are making a live-action thundercats movie.
    I don't know whether to be happy or disgusted.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i remember american tale and all dogs go to heaven were scary.

The other scary one, when the heffalumps and woozles visit pooh bear. Always had to fast forward through that part.

Cartoons now a days are crap.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Danger lurking everywhere,
    But we know we have to dare,
    Evil men with evil schemes,
    They can't destroy our dreams."

"We must be strong and brave,
    Our home, we've got to save,
    If we don't, in just one year,
    Mother Earth will disappear."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    i remember american tale and all dogs go to heaven were scary.

The other scary one, when the heffalumps and woozles visit pooh bear. Always had to fast forward through that part.

Cartoons now a days are crap.
    Chaaarliieeee ... You can never come baaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by TAROT View Post
    "Danger lurking everywhere,
    But we know we have to dare,
    Evil men with evil schemes,
    They can't destroy our dreams."

"We must be strong and brave,
    Our home, we've got to save,
    If we don't, in just one year,
    Mother Earth will disappear."
    What's this from?

Downloads
    Uploads
    i remember those all too. i have all the d&d cartoons on dvd as well. but i bet you cant remember this even though it really wasnt a cartoon: sigmund the sea monster. i got that one too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    ...and that dinosaur one that used to come on before Quantum Leap. All the characters had dinosaur or bone related names and they fought ... something or other. ...
    What was this one, I have vague memories of this one. Also there was some sort of a dinosaur one with a green (to use a term from my childhood) long-neck? Anybody recall this?

Also, I just bought All Dogs Go to Heaven on DVD, along with Secret of NIMH on DVD.

Also, there was a Peter Pan cartoon, that wasn't based off the disney one. I think Tim Curry voiced Capt. Hook?

How about Swat Kats?
    Last edited by RMajere; 04-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast