Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good restaurants to eat at

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good restaurants to eat at

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    3. Was thinking of starting a restaurant thread. I used to travel all over the plains states so I've eaten in a lot of places. Plus I'd just like to see what other places people recommend, so if I'm ever on the road I'll know where to go.
    Took the initiative.

Thread to list good fast food, sit down food, fast casual, whatever.

I'll start by listing the claim to fame of Denver: fast casual
    Chedd's Gourmet Grilled Cheese. - 37 different cheeses, 10 different breads, and tomato soup. Surprisingly good, but a bit pricey for what you get (compared to others below).

Tokyo Joe's - Fast food japanese. Get huge bowl of rice, mind-blowing sauce, chicken for super cheap. Can add veggies, replace chicken with salmon, steak, and others. They have the punch card (get 10 punches get one bowl free) and it is appropriately called "addict card." They also have edamame and sushi. Everything is either steamed or grilled, so all really healthy. They even have japanese import beer and wine.

Quizno's - won't detail, but will say from Denver

Noodles and Company - Noodle dishes from around the world. Good price, but high quality food. Also has beer and wine. My recommendation: either mac and cheese (surprisingly amazing) or butter noodles and parmesan with shrimp.

Qdoba - San Francisco style burritos (as in as big as your head). Pretty good, nice variety of sauces and such. Tortilla soup trio (drink, taco, and tortilla soup) if not super hungry is very good buy.

Chipotle - like qdoba, but instead of being owned by jack in the box, it is owned by McDonalds. On par with Qdoba, can't say which I like more.

and must mention two other Denver places (but not fast casual) are red rock brewery/old chicago.

I have heard of this burger place that has "butter burgers." I think it is a midwest thing. Is it any good and what is it called.

Will add more later, but will let other people have a chance.

Thanks for the idea kirksmithicus
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Subway: Footlong subs for $5.00, cant beat that.
    Chipotle: More burrito than you know what to do with.
    Chevy's: Unless you're a professional wrestler or football player, you WILL have leftovers for breakfast. Discount coupons found every week in newspapers.
    Wendy's: .99 cent double-stacks are incredibly delicious. Made old-school style, with ketsup and mustard, and not that milk snot they call mayonaise.
    Del Taco: Cant ever go wrong with .59 cent breatkfast burritos.
    Lil Ceasars Pizza: At $5.00, a large pizza is a bargain... did i mention that there is no waiting? Great for picking up for the family on the way home from work.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can always check Yelp.com for your local area. I've posted several reviews of local eateries as well as game shops and motorcycle shops.

http://carls.yelp.com

For eateries, it really depends on your tastes. I like Indian food so my likes may be different than others.

For the Broomfield area (Denver metro), Yak & Yeti is probably the best of the buffet Indian places that I've been to. We go to the one on 88th and Sheridan.

In Boulder, Falafel King seems to do the best with Gyros and Falafels.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They still have lil caesar's? I thought they went out of business.

Who knew.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    Chipotle - like qdoba, but instead of being owned by jack in the box, it is owned by McDonalds. On par with Qdoba, can't say which I like more.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    In the past, McDonald's Corporation owned a majority interest in Chipotle. McDonald's has since sold their entire stake in Chipotle; full divestment was completed in October 2006.
    So not owned, just a major investor and not there any more.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I like the hole in the walls.
    For Seattle almost every other Wednesday I go to the Satellite Bar, they have 2 for 1 burger night.
    Pho Tan Brothers offer Pho from $4-$7 cash only. The $7 bowl can feed 3-4 people.
    Dicks is the local drive in and burgers start at $1.40, honestly its hard to spend more than $5 on food there
    There is a place in the international district that I cant remember the name of. If you want cheap thai everything on the menu is $5
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    You can always check Yelp.com for your local area. I've posted several reviews of local eateries as well as game shops and motorcycle shops.

http://carls.yelp.com

For eateries, it really depends on your tastes. I like Indian food so my likes may be different than others.

For the Broomfield area (Denver metro), Yak & Yeti is probably the best of the buffet Indian places that I've been to. We go to the one on 88th and Sheridan.

In Boulder, Falafel King seems to do the best with Gyros and Falafels.

Carl
    Don't get to go to denver as much as I would like. Only go for holidays (my in-laws live there).

I didn't know about the McD's thing. Thanks.

@morton

I like, but am weary of hole in the wall places.

Best surprise is this place in San Fran in chinatown. It is called house of nan king (I think). It has a cheesy 1970's looking sign, and it is tiny inside, but the food was insane. It was worth the hour wait standing on the sidewalk.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my favorite restaurants... well, i'd have to start with the most memorable RanRan. found in japan, ibaraki-ken, tsukuba-shi on nishi-odori behind the karaoke bar and a bit through the student danchi complex behind that. 700y will get you a mixing bowl size portion of some of the best tonkatsudon you'll ever eat. tonkatsu on top of kome with moyashi, udedamago, nori, and sukemono. i usually pay the 50y to get an extra udedamago or two. slather some tonkatsu sause on that and go to town! just don't expect to move anywhere fast afterwards. but soooo good!

next on my list is a little place who's name i'll have to ask of the wife after she finishes napping. waaaaaay out in the country in the middle of idaho (and there's a whole lot of country in idaho), as usual it's down the way past the little store and turn right at the cow chewing cud. seriously. they have people from all over the state, and neighboring states come to eat there. burgers that are 4-5 inches thick and large enough around to make you wonder where the plate is. you cannot even see the plate unless you get a knife and use it to lever up the burger. 2+ lbs of juicy tender well seasoned and spiced meat with all the fixings. they make them bigger, it just costs you more. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the best mexican restaurants i've ever frequented were the hole-in-the-walls. Mmm, great food.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fogo de Chão

I love meat!
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have heard of this burger place that has "butter burgers." I think it is a midwest thing. Is it any good and what is it called.
    Culver's is just such a place. They have fantastic custard (which is better than soft serve by far, imho) and a surprising range in their menu for what at first appears to be just a burger joint. Great salads, too.

For quick burgers, my favorite is definitely Whataburger, which is mostly a Texas thing but I hear tell they've expanded to Oklahoma. When stacked against Wendy's, McDonald's and Burger King, Whataburger meat actually tastes like meat. They make big burgers for great prices and I don't get sick to my stomach when I eat there. My absolute favorite sandwich is something they only circulate every so often. 3 breaded chicken strips with two slices of monterrey jack cheese and a tangy honey bbq sauce that I can't get enough of. Pair that with an ice tea and a fried pumpkin pie, I'm in heaven.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Norman Oklahoma

Happy Family Restaurant: (1219 E Alameda St.) This is a tiny little place located in a strip mall. The food is awesome though, nearly every time I went to this place there was a line out the door. The General's chicken is most delicious.

Thai Kumkoon: (1347 W. Lindsey St.) The home of Evil Jungle Chicken and other great thai foods. A great family run business. My wife insists on eating here everytime we go to Norman.

Harv's BBQ: (1332 E. Lindsey St.) A shack-ish joint (take out only) located in the middle of a strip mall. The food rocks and is worth the wait even if you melt waiting in line on the asphalt in the middle of the summer. It's only open for part of the year but the food is so good that I know vegetarians who look forward to opening day.

Van's Pig Stand: (320 N. Porter) 2nd only to Harv's.

Los Dos Amigos: (2130 E. Alameda St.) Wickedly good Mexican food. Jalapeno pickled carrots my friends, the most delectable carrots EVAR! and they have this queso that despite (or perhaps because of) its weird consistency is fantastic. Even though, I think it comes out of 50 gallon drum.

Greek House: (768 Jenkins Ave) Gyros the way they should be made. I lived in Greece for two years and gained nearly a 100 lbs eating 2-5 gyros a day. I know gyros my friends.
    Last edited by kirksmithicus; 03-27-2009 at 03:43 PM.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Subway, Taco Bell, and BK win for me.

That Angry Whopper Sandwhich advertisement worked so well on me....

It was like a test of strength and I so beat it.

Plus I remember once a bank caught fire next to my local BK and on my walk there I was the last person seen on camera and got arrested, then released like an hour later when they found the real person who did it.

Earlier that month I got arrested in the same burger king for accidentally kicking a shopping cart into a car and denting the door...

Good times at BK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They still have lil caesar's? I thought they went out of business.

Who knew.
    Lil C's surprised me as well. Every location I knew closed down a few years ago, and I assumed the whole chain was gone. But they recently opened a new location next to a friend's house.

I hate them, though. Good prices, but mediocre pizza. Give me Pizza Hut any day. (Any day that I can afford it, anyway.) But my absolute favorite pizzas always seem to come from non-chain, family-owned pizza parlors.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
    Lil C's surprised me as well. Every location I knew closed down a few years ago, and I assumed the whole chain was gone. But they recently opened a new location next to a friend's house.

I hate them, though. Good prices, but mediocre pizza. Give me Pizza Hut any day. (Any day that I can afford it, anyway.) But my absolute favorite pizzas always seem to come from non-chain, family-owned pizza parlors.
    REALLY! It is mediocre pizza, but I am poor and every Pizza Hut I have gone to has pissed me off. Is it near downtown, Antioch, Franklin, bellevue, or more north or more east? I live near thompson lane/briley parkway and I-24. Is it close?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast