Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowledge's Cauldron Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Knowledge's Cauldron Discussion

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    OOC Post #1 for Knowledge's Cauldron
    This post complements the first Knowledge's Cauldron main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Wednesday, December 19th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, December 20th.

Thank you for your patience. I'm back in action, and mostly recovered from these past two weeks. Since we're getting back in gear, these posts are coming a few minutes late, and this is the short posting period of the week, I have extended the due date for player posts from Tuesday night to Wednesday night.

The adventure begins at the point described in the narrative: you've just refilled your waterskins and are preparing to set out for the rest of the day, after having completed your real, extended rest. It is late afternoon, but it will be light all through the evening, and the twilight will last well into the night.

The northern track is barely worthy of the name. In places, it is not evident at all, especially after the new growth of spring. To avoid getting lost at some point in the day's travels, a Nature Check needs to be made. Any number of people may Aid the check, with the usual conditions: +2 for success, -1 for failure. If multiple characters make primary Nature Checks, I will randomize the rolls between the characters, so please do not assume that the person with the highest die roll or result should automatically be trusted. Be specific about who is making a primary roll; who is aiding; and if you are aiding, which character you are aiding.

In this heat, one waterskin is good for about half a day. However, people who travel along tracks and roads often take this into account wherever possible, and the resulting path often lies close to good water sources. Still, unless the track crosses a stream or travels along next to one, checks will have to be made to find fresh water. The party is good for the rest of the day, but the eventual checks will either be Nature or Perception. They can be aided as before.

Characters cannot make a primary roll and aid the same action. It should be one or the other.

At this point in time, the characters may converse or make plans. Unless they change their course significantly, the party will then push on until true darkness, about seven hours later. In terms of receiving benefits from an extended rest, they will accrue to everyone except Noxias by 8 am, the following morning. Noxias is much better rested than the others, and if he were to rest as soon as the party stopped for the night, he would be completely rested well before sunrise.

Noxias should decide on the Daily Spell and Utility Spell he plans to have currently memorized.

As the week progresses, I will work on finalizing the administrative details I have been putting off for so long. This will include questions about equipment and purchases.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 12-21-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: correcting month for due date

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have +5 to nature, so let me know if you want me to be primary.

I'll go with my sphere again, of course! I love my little spongy fireball. I thought that my utility spells are always at the ready; ready to be triggered?

I thought that I was taking first watch, always. So as long as I get at least 4 hours of sleep I should benefit from an extended rest, correct?

What is the marching order for this trek? I'm unclear which PCs are with us and which are players are controlling alternates. I'm assuming it will be me, Ith, Cutopia, Tim. So that would be Rogur(tim), Zeph(tim), Konny(cutopia), Nox(me), Yrisz?

Thanks! Looking forward to getting in on the ground floor for this phase of the campaign.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new adventure begins!

Noxias, Shock Sphere is one of my favorite spells as well with the other wizards I play.

Regarding marching order: I think we discussed Rogur taking point, with Konstanz at the rear. However, that was before I realized Zephyr would be accompanying us on this leg of the journey. With that in mind, I think Zephyr would be point and Rogur second, either side-by-side or immediately behind. Squishies in the middle, and Konstanz toward the back.

I don't know that Konstanz is any more fortitudinous than our other spellcasters, though, so if she'd prefer to remain in the middle, then just speak up, cutopia. Rogur will drop to rear guard and use his sling for ranged attacks.

Rogur is mostly useless for Nature checks (+2), but he's got a decent perception (+9), so he will help locate water. I think Yrisz has the highest perception in the party, though, so rather than make a primary check, he'll aid Yrisz' perception check for el agua.

If Ithelryn elects not to have Yrisz make the primary check, Umiushi, please roll for me and have Rogur make the check.

* Rogur - Perception - Aid Yrisz' Perception check to find water *

--T

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-17-2012 10:37 PM
    Rogur - Perception - Aid Yrisz' Perception check to find water: 1d20 (14)+ 9 (9) = 23

Downloads
    Uploads
    Konstanz will pick a spot in the middle of the pack for her marching order.
    She isn't going to be much use in nature, sadly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #2 for Knowledge's Cauldron

This post complements the second Knowledge's Cauldron main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, December 22nd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, December 24th.

My current understanding of the marching order is Zephyr and Rogur at the front, Konstansz and Noxias in the middle, and Yrisz at the rear.

To be more clear, searching for water is not immediately necessary; the party has found enough to see them through to camp.

Both of Noxias's utility spells are ones that get triggered by events. However, like all characters, Noxias can have only one second level utility power available at any time. It is a special ability of wizards to be able to choose between two utility powers of the same level, just like how they choose between two daily powers. With this in mind, Noxias needs to select either Feather Fall or Shield to have available on any given day. Whichever spell is chosen will be the one whose trigger applies.

Whether or not the party becomes lost will still need to be resolved.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogur isn't much on saving people, in general, but he's got a soft spot for kids. He'd be keen to find out what's going on with the child's cries, and rush right in. But, his player suspects a trap, and remembers that we're traveling without armor. Should we pause to suit up before we go in?

Umuishi, how long would it take to don armor before we investigate the crying?

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Light armor can be worn, if uncomfortably, in hot weather. The only character who is traveling without armor is Yrisz. Armor can be donned in no less than 10 rounds, and no more than the length of a short rest. Basically, it doesn't take very long when you're out of combat, but it is not a practical activity while in combat.

Also, I missed Yrisz's stated preference for marching order from earlier. It looks like there will only be two ranks: Zephyr and Rogur in the front; and Konstansz, Yrisz, and Noxias in the back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    This post complements the second Knowledge's Cauldron main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, December 22nd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, December 24th.
    It is a special ability of wizards to be able to choose between two utility powers of the same level, just like how they choose between two daily powers. With this in mind, Noxias needs to select either Feather Fall or Shield to have available on any given day.
    Shield please.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Knowledge's Cauldron Main Post #3

This is the third main post for Knowledge's Cauldron. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, December 25th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, December 27th.

It took a suitably long period of time, but I believe I have at last reconciled all characters' equipment and abilities. That is not to say that it's perfect, but this is my best shot at it. While working on this, a few details came up:

• I only located two rituals for Noxias: Floating Disk and Silence. He is allowed three 1st-level rituals. Whether or not I missed it, please let me know what his third ritual is.
    • Yrisz should have a wooden broach worth 10 staters among her possessions.
    • Aucothians use chalk to lime soils, not as a marking tool. I therefore do not believe sticks of chalk are available for purchase. If they were, the chalk would have be transported from the coast, making it much more expensive.

When replacing characters' equipment, I replaced items up to characters' starting equipment. Also, after some consideration, I decided that Rogur and Zephyr's ropes didn't need replacement.

What follows are various summaries, most of which should be familiar. I have also added list of characters' expendable/consumable funds and equipment, which is what I've been doing with my chat games for a while.

As usual, if there are any questions or potential mistakes, please bring them to my attention.

Illumination
    Bright Light

Marching Order
    1. Zephyr, Rogur
    2. Konstansz, Yrisz, Noxias

Readied Equipment*
    • Konstansz: none
    • Noxias: staff
    • Rogur: none
    • Yrisz: symbol (worn)
    • Zephyr: none

*Generally, I assume that characters do not travel with weapons or equipment in hand. Exceptions include items that are worn, such as holy symbols; or pole-like items such as spears and staves, that can be supported by the ground. It is of course possible to try to have items readied during travel, but doing so will require Endurance Checks to avoid exhaustion.

Group Powers
    • Group Diplomacy (Zephyr - Diplomacy Checks): +1 to Diplomacy Checks for allies within 10 squares.
    • Half-elf Spirit Speaker (Zephyr - Insight and Nature Checks) +1 to Insight and Nature Checks for Zephyr, and to all allies within 10 squares.

Reactive Powers
    • Fire Resistance (Konstansz - Fire Attacks) Resist Fire 6
    • Eladrin Will (Noxias - Saving Throws) +5 to saves vs. charms.
    • Fireburst Protection (Noxias - Ongoing Fire Damage) Automatically succeeds on saves vs. ongoing fire damage.
    • Artful Dodger & Defensive Mobility (Rogur - Opportunity Attacks): +4 to AC vs. opportunity attacks
    • Half-elf Spirit Speaker (Zephyr - First Bloodied) Zephyr and all allies within 10 squares gain +1 to all defenses until the end of Zephyr's next turn.*

Voluntary Triggered Powers
    • Caiphon's Leap (Konstansz reaction - hit by a cursed enemy) Reduce damage by -3 (Cha) and teleport 2. (encounter)
    • Feather Fall (Noxias free - Noxias or an ally within 10 squares falls) target does not take damage from the fall and does not fall prone at the end of the fall (daily - if Feather Fall is memorized)
    • Shield (Noxias interrupt - hit by an attack) Gain +4 to AC and Reflex Defense ENT. (encounter - if Shield is memorized)

Situational Powers

• Blood Hunt (Konstansz - bloodied enemies) Gains +1 to attack bloodied enemies.
    • Dragonling Symbiosis (Konstansz - healing surges) Gain +2 to Konstansz's healing surge value.
    • Fate of the Void (Konstansz - cursed enemies) Every downed enemy cursed by Konstansz grants her a cumulative +1 to any one d20 roll made in the next turn.
    • Prime Shot (Konstansz - enemies) If no allies are closer to an enemy than Konstansz, she gains +1 to ranged attacks against that target.
    • Shadow Walk (Konstansz - movement) Gain concealment if Konstansz moves 3 or more squares away from where she started her turn.
    • Astral Fire (Noxias - Fire and Radiant Attacks) Gains +1 to damage rolls with fire or radiant powers.
    • Eladrin Trance (Noxias - Extended Rests): Noxias's Extended Rests are only four hours long and do not require sleep.
    • Spellbook (Noxias - Extended Rests): Choose between one of two choices for every daily and utility spell after every Extended Rest.
    • Backstabbing Sneak Attack (Rogur - Combat Advantage with Crossbow, Light Blade, or Sling): after damage, may choose to increase damage by +2d8 (Round)
    • Distant Advantage (Rogur - Ranged or Area Attacks Vs. Enemies Flanked by Allies) Rogur gains combat advantage when using ranged or area attacks against enemies who are flanked by his allies.
    • First Strike (Rogur - Start of an Encounter): gains Combat Advantage against any creature yet to act
    • Fleeting Ghost (Rogur - Stealth Check after Normal Move): normal move speed does not penalize Stealth Checks
    • Weapon Expertise (Rogur - Light Blades): +1 to attack with light blades
    • Weapon Talent (Rogur - Daggers and Shuriken): +1 to attack with daggers; damage die increases by one size for shuriken
    • Healer's Implement (Yrisz - Healing): Gain +1 (symbol enhancement bonus) when using clerical healing powers.
    • Implement Expertise (Yrisz - Holy Symbols): +1 to attack while using a holy symbol with powers that benefit from holy symbols
    • Pacifist Healer (Yrisz - Damaging Bloodied Enemies): Yrisz is Stunned until the end of her next turn.
    • Restful Healing (Yrisz - Uses Healing Power Between Rest and Encounter): Yrisz's healing power is maximized. (Surge Value + 19 hit points healed for Healing Word.)
    • Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (Yrisz - Critical Hits) The symbols does +1d6 damage and either Yrisz or one ally within 5 squares can spend a healing surge, as chosen by Yrisz. Spending a healing surge in this manner does not count as a Second Wind action.
    • Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (Yrisz - Healing Words) Whenever Yrisz speaks a Healing Word, Yrisz and all allies within 5 squares gain 4 temporary hit points (1 + Cha modifier).
    • Arcane Prodigy (Zephyr - First Damage Roll): +2 to Zephyr's first damage roll. (Encounter)*
    • Barbarian Agility (Zephyr - Not in Heavy Armor): +1 to AC and Reflexes*
    • Rampage (Zephyr - Critical Hit with Barbarian Attack Power): if Zephyr scores a critical hit against an enemy, he can make a free basic melee attack against any target in range. (Round)*
    • Roar of Triumph (Zephyr - First Enemy Downed): The first time Zephyr downs an enemy, all enemies within 5 squares take -2 to all defenses until the end of Zephyr's next turn. (Encounter)*
    • Savage Growl (Zephyr - First Non-Finishing Melee Hit During or After Escalating Violence on Unmarked Target): Enemy is Marked until the end of Zephyr's next turn. While Marked, the enemy and Zephyr gain +1d8 damage against one another. (Encounter)
    • Thaneborn Triumph (Zephyr - Bloodied Enemy): +3 to the next attack roll for Zephyr or any ally against any foe bloodied by Zephyr.*

*Only available while Yukonhorror is controlling Zephyr

Major Combat Encounter Statistics
    Highest Passive Insight 22 (Yrisz)
    Highest Passive Perception 21 (Yrisz)
    Lowest Stealth +1 (Yrisz) or +2 (Yrisz w/o armor and Zephyr)

Konstansz (PL3)
    Stealth +3
    Initiative +1
    Passive Insight 16
    Passive Perception 10
    AC: 13 Fort: 16 Ref: 12 Will: 15
    Speed: 6
    Hit Points/Bloodied: 42/21
    Healing Surges/Surge Value: 11/12
    Surges Remaining: 11
    Action Points: 1
    Basic Attack Power (Magic Rod) +7/+6
    Basic Melee (Dagger) +4/+0
    Basic Ranged (Dagger) +4/+0
    HP/Level: 5

Noxias (PL4)
    Stealth +6
    Initiative +3
    Passive Insight 20
    Passive Perception 18
    AC: 18 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 17
    Hit Points/Bloodied: 38 / 19
    Healing Surges/Surge Value: 6 / 10
    Surges Remaining: 6
    Standard Attack Power (Magic Staff) +7/+5 (+6 if using a fire attack)
    Basic Melee (Enchanted Longsword) +7/+2
    Basic Ranged (Dagger) +7/+2
    HP/Level: 4

Rogur (PL4)
    Stealth +11
    Initiative +6
    Passive Insight 18
    Passive Perception 19
    AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 19 Will: 15
    Hit Points/Bloodied: 40 / 20
    Healing Surges/Surge Value: 7 / 10
    Surges Remaining: 7
    Improvised Melee +3
    Improvised Ranged +6
    Basic Melee (Short Sword) +7/+1
    Basic Attack Power (Short Sword) +10/+4
    Basic Ranged (Enchanted Sling) +9/+5

Yrisz (PL4)
    Stealth +1 (+2 without armor)
    Initiative +2
    Passive Insight 22
    Passive Perception 21
    AC: 18 (13 without armor) Fort: 14 Ref: 13 Will: 19
    Speed: 5 (6 without armor)
    Hit Points/Bloodied: 39/19
    Healing Surges/Surge Value: 8/9
    Surges Remaining: 8
    Standard Attack Power (Magic Holy Symbol) +8/+5
    Basic Melee (Mace) +5/+1
    Basic Ranged (Dagger) +5/+0

Zephyr (CL4)
    Stealth +2
    Initiative +3
    Passive Insight 14
    Passive Perception 12
    AC: 19 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 18
    HP: 43 Bloodied: 21
    HS/day: 9 HS value: 10
    Surges Remaining: 9
    Basic Melee (Heavy War Pick) +10/+5
    Basic Ranged (Dagger) +11/+3

Zephyr (PL4)
    Stealth +2
    Initiative +3
    Passive Insight 14
    Passive Perception 12
    AC: 17 Fort: 17 Ref: 14 Will: 15
    HP: 49 Bloodied: 24
    HS/day: 11 HS value: 12
    Surges Remaining: 11
    Basic Melee (Heavy War Pick) +7/+3
    Basic Ranged (Dagger) +6/+1
    HP/Level: 6

Roster of Consumables and Expendables
    • Cutopia, playing Konstansz
      • Tiefling Warlock, Level 3
      • 575 XP
      • 1 dagger
      • 50' of rope
      • 90 staters
      • 2 sun rods
      • 1 half-full waterskin
      • 10 days' worth of trail rations
      • 1 day's worth of perishable food

• Ithelryn, playing Yrisz
      • Human Cleric, Level 4
      • 2375 XP
      • ritual book with 2 pages filled and 126 pages blank
      • Gray Rain Cloak
      • 10 pitons
      • 2 daggers
      • 36 staters
      • 30 aeres
      • 37 chaluns
      • 40 staters' worth of arcane reagents
      • 20 staters' worth of sanctified incense
      • 10 staters' worth of healing salves
      • 2 torches
      • 3 candles
      • 3 potions of healing
      • 1 half-full waterskin
      • 4 days' worth of trail rations

• Malk0lm, playing Noxias
      • Eladrin Wizard, Level 4
      • 1050 XP
      • spellbook with 7 pages filled and 121 pages blank
      • 1 dagger
      • 50' of rope
      • 21 staters
      • 100 staters' worth of arcane reagent
      • 2 sun rods
      • 1 half-full waterskin
      • memorized spells
        • Flaming Sphere
        • Shield

• Palpatim, playing Rogur
      • Human Rogue, Level 4
      • 2515 XP
      • Gray Rain Cloak
      • Feywine Raisin
      • 20 pitons
      • 2 50' bundles of rope
      • 11 staters
      • 14 aeres
      • 7 chaluns
      • 2 sunrods
      • 1 half-full waterskin
      • 33 crossbow bolts
      • 33 sling bullets

• Yukonhorror, playing Zephyr
      • Half-elf Barbarian/Sorcerer, Level 4
      • 2725 XP
      • 10 pitons
      • 50' of rope
      • 3 daggers
      • 13 staters
      • 27 aeres
      • 2 chaluns
      • 10 sunrods
      • 1 half-full waterskin

Last edited by Umiushi; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,

Sorry, I a. I've been working 12 hour days at work (and I sleep 10 hours a day and commute an hour so the math of my life gets easy) b. just gained a family member house guest who is super high maintenance, so until that person leaves I'm going to be a bit quiet though I'll try to at least be nominally present.

I of course wish to see if we can aid the weeping child (if that is what they actually are). I've kept my post in party, though in terms of actual actions Yrisz will even offer to lead the meeting, as she's probably the least scary of the group, well, period. I don't think we should wait to don armor, even though I do have to agree with Tim OOC that I think this may well be a trap...though we'll see. Proof of the pudding and all that.

Have a Merry Christmas all!
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make whole, silence, floating disk. The table did not transfer well to you.

I'll try PDF next time.
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Malk0lm, playing Noxias
    Eladrin Wizard, Level 4
    1050 XP
    spellbook with 7 pages filled and 121 pages blank
    1 dagger
    50' of rope
    21 staters
    100 staters' worth of arcane reagent
    2 sun rods
    1 half-full waterskin
    10 days' worth of trail rations
    1 day's worth of perishable food
    memorized spells:
    Flaming Sphere
    Shield
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also Umi, could you give Yrisz a perception check, she pauses before leaping into the action.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, Konstansz has a dragon! Also: hey, I've been spelling Konstansz' name wrong the entire time she's been with the party! Ithelryn, I hope your house guest and work schedule leave your sanity intact.

Since there is no requirement for the melee folks to don armor, I'd guess it's up to Yrisz to decide whether she wants to suit up before Fontibell gets back with the news. I will wait until we hear back from the dragonling before deciding, but I expect the next steps to be marching to the sound of the cries. For that march, if it comes up, Rogur will have his sling readied, regardless of whether Konstansz reports enemies in sight or not.

Finally, thank you Umiushi for posting the powers summary and consumables inventory--I think it must be quite a bit of extra work for you, but it is very helpful to have your double-check. I note that your XP total for Rogur was 65XP higher than my total. I think I must have missed something somewhere, but I'm willing to go with your total. (I don't imagine too many players would contest an accounting discrepancy that went in their favor. )

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #4 for Knowledge's Cauldron

This post complements the fourth Knowledge's Cauldron main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, December 29th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, December 31st.

Fontibell must stay within 20 squares of Konstansz at all times. The edge of the clearing is about 70 squares ahead of the party. Therefore, Konstansz must move forward to give the dragonling a better view of what's ahead. Other characters may advance to investigate as well, otherwise I will assume the entire party marches together.

Everyone who does investigate should at least make a Perception Check. Konstansz should make one for Fontibell, using her statistics. I will make one for Yrisz if necessary.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but all costs and credits besides the chalk have been approved for Yrisz.

Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast