Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 220 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 3291

Thread: Out-of-character adventure discussion

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My dex score is 16, +3 modifier. Does anyone else have something higher? If not, I can be the one to run down and throw the rope. It'll only take me a turn or so.

    However, if I am the one to throw it I'll probably need someone else to help reel Zephyr and the dragonborn in.

    Finally, I have some information, from either my passive insight or an insight roll, that I will be posting in the Acqua Alta thread in a moment.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I would like to roll a perception check on the crates that the workers are throwing off the barge, specifically the parcel the dragonborn snagged from the female worker. This is part of my turn, so I'll remember not to do a minor action later. I'll hold off on my move and standard action until the OoC discussion concludes on some course of action.

    Minor Action: Perception Check

    *Edit* This was made moot with Morgran's comments, I'll save the Minor Action.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-11-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: moving OOC material to OOC thread

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My dex score is 16, +3 modifier. Does anyone else have something higher?
    Not me! How about our ranger? I'm certainly willing to add my aid if possible; my dex is 14, +2 mod.

    However, if I am the one to throw it I'll probably need someone else to help reel Zephyr and the dragonborn in.
    My str is 16, or a +3 mod. I'm pretty sure our half-orc is higher. But I do have trained athletics with a +8 bonus, if that helps. "Aid another" might be useful here -- several of us can work to haul in the pair if they need help.

    Finally, I have some information, from either my passive insight or an insight roll, that I will be posting in the Acqua Alta thread in a moment.
    Thanks!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    So, it sounds like they aren't hostile to us but may end up that way with helping dragonborn. So, the question is are we going to fight or talk? I think this might require some tact. On the other hand, I'm wouldn't say no to a good ol' fashion drag out fight :P

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OoC, I'd enjoy a fight.

    IC, and sort-of OoC in terms of enjoying the process as well, Myn and Morgran would prefer not to draw the attention of local authorities to themselves, at least until they have more information. Disposition-wise, Myn would probably want to help the dragonborn initially, but is absolutely unwilling to endanger the community he's a part of.

    I think I can find enough reason to do anything, though, so I'll follow everyone else's lead. If no one has a lead, I think I'd like to try an RP solution first, we can always fight later.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My thought was basically that, while the easy choice is to just beat the lot of them up, it's always possible that we'd step into some proverbial crap.

    We could also try to talk it out and get the dragonborn back on the dock and then decide what to do when we have a little more info. Especially what the dragonborn's side of what's going on. And decide on whether or not to fight then.

    Also, Umi, would it be possible to get a name for the dragonborn?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,760
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    Q&A part two for session two

    Note: It is possible that you will not hear much from me after this post until Monday at the earliest, so those of you who haven't posted your intended actions, please start thinking of them for the Sunday night deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    for google docs you need a google account, but not a google email. What I mean is you sign up for a google account with your current email (i.e. the email you use for P&PG). You can PM me your email, and I'll add you to the maps for my kobold cave.

    So of my post, what should I have included on this board, and what should I have included on the aqua alta board?
    I will send my email to you via pm shortly. If everyone agrees, maybe we can start moving the maps to this site. The updated map for the next posting cycle may not be available due to time constraints; you have my apologies in advance.

    Anyone with an objection to hosting maps and other such features on Google Docs may either post it publicly, or send their concerns to me privately.

    Your question about how to split the posts is a good one. If you go back through the thread, you will notice that I have copied two of your recent posts, so that they exist on both Acqua Alta and the OOC threads. For your first post, that which was appropriate to Acqua Alta was copied to Acqua Alta (though I should have also included the description of the sash and clothing). For your second post, that which was appropriate to the OOC thread was copied here. Do those examples help, or should I try to state specifically what I'm looking for?


    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    We can do that, but the little die-roll box at the end of the message lists them one right after the other. The best we can do is to put them in the order you'd prefer to see.

    According to the map you gave us, the dragonborn is south of both barges, near the shoreline, and in the area sheltered from the current by the pier.

    This means that the acolyte will never go past the barge our characters are on. Zephyr can go grab him and drag him to the pier or to the shoreline next to the pier. The rest of us can help by getting off the barge (with Zephyr's stuff) and tossing him a rope or equivalent if he needs it. We may or may not need a story for the authorities about why we rescued anyone.
    Good point concerning the die rolling results. I think I'd like to stand by my request for a split, but it's also true that I would like the requested die rolls to come before the additional die rolls.

    The unpredictable nature of the nearby water makes it difficult to say for certain where the dragonborn will wind up. There is a real possibility that it may still encounter a current that sweeps it away.

    I should say for the record that the river, even by the jetty, looks extremely dangerous. Only people in peak condition, such as Ariellana, Tanglar, or Zephyr, would even imagine they could brave it. Clearly the dragonborn, who is anything but unfit, is in danger of drowning.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    Not me! How about our ranger? I'm certainly willing to add my aid if possible; my dex is 14, +2 mod.

    My str is 16, or a +3 mod. I'm pretty sure our half-orc is higher. But I do have trained athletics with a +8 bonus, if that helps. "Aid another" might be useful here -- several of us can work to haul in the pair if they need help.
    For Aid Another actions, like matches with like. Athletics checks aid Athletics checks, Dexterity checks aid Dexterity checks, and so on. Don't forget that whatever action type you are aiding, Aid Another is always a Standard Action.


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    Also, Umi, would it be possible to get a name for the dragonborn?
    No one caught the dragonborn's name, but it is probably a Temple acolyte. Are you looking for an identifier? It's the only dragonborn in the crowd, so I don't think it will be confused with anyone else.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Myn View Post
    I would like to roll a perception check on the crates that the workers are throwing off the barge, specifically the parcel the dragonborn snagged from the female worker. This is part of my turn, so I'll remember not to do a minor action later. I'll hold off on my move and standard action until the OoC discussion concludes on some course of action.

    Minor Action: Perception Check

    *Edit* This was made moot with Morgran's comments, I'll save the Minor Action.
    Noted that you will save the minor action. This is also a good place to remind everyone that Delaying counts for your whole turn: all of your actions for your turn will occur on whatever your initiative count is for the round. Reading this, it doesn't look like you are using a Delay action, and discussion is free, of course. However, for the sake of organization, I think it's a good idea to place all of a character's actions together in one post.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-11-2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I think I'd like to try an RP solution first, we can always fight later.
    Me, too.

    We could also try to talk it out and get the dragonborn back on the dock and then decide what to do when we have a little more info. Especially what the dragonborn's side of what's going on. And decide on whether or not to fight then.
    That sounds good to me.

    -------------

    Ariellana doesn't think that what's going on is typical behavior for the Ministry of Trade. If there's some kind of grudge match between the Ministry of Trade and the Temple, it's not at all clear that we want to be in the middle of it, picking sides, until we get more information.

    Ariellana is OK about choosing a side based on her ideas of justice, but she is also aware that it's very dangerous to annoy powerful people. She'll usually pick her battles carefully. She'd prefer to talk her way out of a public confrontation with powerful officials and fight on her ground instead of theirs (whatever that means).

    -----------

    Would it make any sense to tie a rope around Zephyr before he goes after the dragonborn? He's going to have to go around the other barge, plus the rope might not be long enough. But it would help keep him from getting swept away.

    Or would it make more sense to get off the barge and toss a rope to him from the pier or shoreline?

    I don't think it makes sense for anyone else to jump in after him.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rapid City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,320
    Blog Entries
    107
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    my character is a bit impulsive, but he'll be looking for a rope from you guys if you throw one. Maybe you can tie the rope around something on the pier (like a hitch or something)
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OK, no rope around Zephyr before he jumps.

    Yes to trying to tie the rope around something on the pier before we toss it to you.

    An impulsive character will be good for getting us into interesting adventures.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rapid City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,320
    Blog Entries
    107
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    impulsive to a degree, always willing to help
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    It seems like we've decided. I'll go make the appropriate actions in the Acqua Alta thread, but here's the OoC breakdown:

    Move Action: Hurry down the dock.
    Move Action: Hurry down the dock.

    When I run I take the most direct route, but avoid hitting any of the dock workers. This should place me a space below the barge and four spaces from the edge of the dock.

    By the way, Umi, do you want us to post our rolls here or in the IC thread?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Move Action: Down Left for 5 squares

    Standard Action: Gonna do another move action Down and Right 4 squares to end up at the top left of the lower barge.

    Free Action (according to PH pg 267):


    To the dock workers and official: "Here now! Stop all this! What's going on here?"

    And hopefully to get them to stop:
    * Diplomacy Check *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-11-2009 02:31 PM
    Diplomacy Check: 1d20 (19) + 12 (12) = 31
    04-12-2009 02:38 AM
    Diplomacy Check: 1d20 (8) + 12 (12) = 20

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    It seems like we've decided.
    Indeed!

    Ariellana will grab Zephyr's gear and a rope, and follow Myn and Morgran. She will run as long as nothing seems hostile, and she too will avoid running into other people. If there are already ropes where Myn and Morgran are going, all the better. Some of us have ropes in our packs should we need something longer or in better condition.

    I don't think I need to update my post in the AA thread. I'm not sure how the above actions fit into the standard/move/minor format, so I'll let the DM decide. Do I get to do 2 move actions as I follow? Or does all the grabbing of gear prevent that?

    Umi wrote:

    Clearly the dragonborn, who is anything but unfit, is in danger of drowning.
    The dragonborn got smacked around before and during his involuntary journey into the water. He may be injured or dazed. We don't know if he failed his heat exhaustion and seasickness checks. We don't know how heavy his armor is or if he naturally floats or sinks. Fast water is scary, but it's not the only possible reason for someone to be in danger of drowning.

    But I do take your meaning. Fast water, dangerous, yes! We will be cautious.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    For the record I doubt I will be helping with pulling anyone in. My relevant checks for that kinda stuff are in the negatives anyways. I'm going to be attempting to diffuse the situation I think. Unless we need me to do something else.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •