Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 5 of 220 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 3291

Thread: Out-of-character adventure discussion

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'd just like to pop in and say that I love the name of that book.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Companion to the AA post I guess.

    Performing the grab as a standard action and drawing and talking as free actions or minor actions if that's what it has to be.

    If the dockworker adjacent moves for any reason before my turn comes up I'd like to use a move action to close on the nearest dock worker.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vista
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'm going to go to Aeriellana and throw the rope she prepared, making sure that I'm between her and the bodyguard.

    I throw the rope as far out over the water as I can, straight away from the dock.

    By the way, I don't think this would be a straight succeed/fail check. As I imagine it, there would be degrees of success–I might throw the rope very far if I get a good check, or not all that far for a bad check. I'll leave the specifics of that to you, Umi.

    Move Action: Walk next to Aerillana, closer to the dragonborn.
    Minor Action: Pick up the rope.
    Standard Action: Toss the rope out over the river.
    Last edited by Myn; 04-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    Adjustments to the third set of posts

    Ignoring the dock workers completely, [Tanglar] holds both Tratnyrs in one hand, and full out runs off the barge, and down the path towards the other barge, going as quickly as possible and taking no other actions.
    Tanglar's first run action will take him to the edge of the second barge. Where would you like to end up with the second run action?

    Please respond by 11:00 pm, Wednesday, April 15th. If not, I will move Tanglar towards Ariellana as far as his speed will allow.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    Performing the grab as a standard action and drawing and talking as free actions or minor actions if that's what it has to be.
    My calculations yield a different bonus to your grab roll. Could you reply or pm me with a breakdown of the numbers?

    Using a heavy shield normally prevents the shield hand from being used for any other purpose (PH 214). I'm going to interpret this somewhat differently: your heavy shield will not be usable as long as you are using your shield hand to do something else. I was considering requiring Morgran to drop it, but I decided not to do so. However, I will state that it is still a standard action to re-ready the shield (PH 289), even though it's not dropped.

    If you wish to revise your actions in light of my decisions, please post any changes prior to 11:00 pm, Wednesday, April 15.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    My calculations yield a different bonus to your grab roll. Could you reply or pm me with a breakdown of the numbers?
    I noticed that this morning as I was getting ready for work. I believe the correct calculation would be +0 which would put the check at 13 I think. I'll update the rest when I have access to books later today.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Denton
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Moving towards Ariellana is what I was planning.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    As for the grab your absolutely right. Damn you heavy shield and your yummy +2 bonus. Well I'll leave the dockworker alone then...for now.

    I think instead I'm gonna move south 4 squares.

    If I can I'd like to ready an action. I'm not gonna put this in the AA post in case it doesn't occur. I'd like to ready Enfeebling Strike against the adjacent enemy (if he's still there) as an immediate reaction if anyone on the barge shows hostility.
    Last edited by JohnChrist; 04-15-2009 at 09:09 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    I noticed that this morning as I was getting ready for work. I believe the correct calculation would be +0 which would put the check at 13 I think. I'll update the rest when I have access to books later today.
    Thanks, that matches my calculations, now.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenLabrador View Post
    Moving towards Ariellana is what I was planning.
    Thank you, and noted.


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    As for the grab your absolutely right. Damn you heavy shield and your yummy +2 bonus. Well I'll leave the dockworker alone then...for now.

    I think instead I'm gonna move south 4 squares.

    If I can I'd like to ready an action. I'm not gonna put this in the AA post in case it doesn't occur. I'd like to ready Enfeebling Strike against the adjacent enemy (if he's still there) as an immediate reaction if anyone on the barge shows hostility.
    Sorry I wasn't able to get back to your question; I just returned from work. You may do as you stated, but drawing your sword and attacking counts as a minor action plus a standard action without the Quick Draw feat. I'll interpret your turn to consist of a minor action to draw the sword, a move action, and a standard action to ready your attack. Of course, seeing you with a drawn sword will probably cause the nearby workers to give you a wide berth.

    I will define "showing hostility" as the use of any attack, bull rush, draw weapon, grab, or load weapon action.

    If you don't want to reveal your hand so easily, two other possible courses of action would be to ready a minor draw action, or to ready an unarmed attack (+0 proficiency bonus, 1d4 weapon damage, fulfills "weapon" keyword requirement per PH 56). I was originally planning to get my post in early tonight, but I don't see the harm in holding off until tomorrow evening to give you a further chance to reply. However, I hope to return from work much earlier than I did tonight.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Myn View Post
    I'm going to go to Aeriellana and throw the rope she prepared, making sure that I'm between her and the bodyguard.

    I throw the rope as far out over the water as I can, straight away from the dock.

    Move Action: Walk next to Aerillana, closer to the dragonborn.
    Minor Action: Athletics check to prepare to throw the rope.
    Standard Action: Toss the rope out over the river.
    Sorry for getting to this late. A minor action is required to take possession of the rope before Myn can toss it. Please decide whether Myn's third action for his turn is to prepare to toss the rope, or to actually toss the rope (or to spend an action point).
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-16-2009 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The minor action to draw then. Basically just wanting to be as ready as I can without starting the fight while we're so tied up with getting people out of the water.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    OOC main post #4 for Acqua Alta

    This post complements the fourth Main Post in the Acqua Alta thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, April 18th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, April 20th.

    Updated Map
    [img=http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4615/jetty3.jpg]


    Ariellana (Initiative Count 24)
    Status: -1 healing surge

    Move Action: Walk towards the dragonborn. (successful)
    Minor Action: Pick up rope. (successful)
    Minor Action: Tie rope to piling. (successful)


    Tanglar (Initiative Count 21+)
    Status: -1 healing surge; granting combat advantage and -5 to hit until start of Tanglar's next turn

    Double Move: Run; Tanglar heads south towards Ariellana. (successful)

    Note: Tanglar's initiative bonus beats Zephyr's, so Tanglar goes first. Tanglar passes through the threat area of two dock workers, but the dock workers choose not to attack.


    Zephyr (Initiative Count 21)
    Status: granting combat advantage and -5 to hit until start of Zephyr's next turn

    Double Move: Swim (Run) towards dragonborn. (Swim Check: 15; successful - Zephyr swims to the acolyte at half running speed)


    Trade Ministry Official
    (Initiative Count 17)

    No Action: Delay; watches as Zephyr and the rest of the party work to rescue the acolyte


    Guard (Initiative Count 16)

    No Action: Delay; stands guard, watching movement around the barge


    Acolyte (Initiative Count 12)
    Status: prone

    Double Move: Swim (Walk) towards the dock (successful - manages to pull itself up to the jetty)


    Morgran
    (Initiative Count 10)
    Status: -1 healing surge

    Move Action: Walk south 4 squares. (successful)
    Minor Action: draw sword (successful)
    Standard Action: Ready Enfeebling Strike against hostile adjacent enemy (not triggered)
    Free Actions: speech (successful)

    Notes: Morgran passes through the threat area of a dock worker, but the dock worker chooses not to attack.

    Myn
    (Initiative Count 7)
    Status: -1 healing surge

    Move Action: Walk next to Ariellana, closer to the dragonborn. (successful)
    Minor Action: Pick up the rope. (successful)
    Standard Action: Toss the rope out to Zephyr. (Dexterity Check 14, DC 15; failure - the rope lands one square north of Zephyr, but drifts in the same current)


    River Eddies
    (Initiative Count 3)
    Hazard: Shifts anyone in the water a random direction and distance.

    Rope: Shifts 6 squares southeast
    Zephyr: Shifts 6 squares southeast


    Dock Workers
    (Initiative Count 2)

    Move Action: the dock worker adjacent to Morgran shifts one away; some walk to different locations. (successful)

    Standard Action/Free Action: the remaining dock workers with cargo dump them; it seems that they have jettisoned all that they intend to. (Standard actions for larger pieces.)


    Galin (no initiative count)

    No Action: Delay
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Myn View Post
    I throw the rope as far out over the water as I can, straight away from the dock.

    By the way, I don't think this would be a straight succeed/fail check. As I imagine it, there would be degrees of success–I might throw the rope very far if I get a good check, or not all that far for a bad check. I'll leave the specifics of that to you, Umi.
    That is correct. There is one added component: if you fail by too much, the rope will be picked up by a different current than the target. Fortunately, that is not what happened.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-19-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: fixing typos

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rapid City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,320
    Blog Entries
    107
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Zephyr
    Move action: Swim towards rope
    Minor Action: grab rope and catch breath
    Move action: Pulling myself along rope

    * swim (athletics) *


    * Pulling along rope (Str check {assume}) *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-17-2009 08:51 AM
    swim (athletics) : 1d20 (19) + 9 (9) = 28
    Pulling along rope (Str check {assume}) : 1d20 (14) + 3 (3) = 17
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Good roll, Zephyr!

    Ariellana will keep on eye on you to make sure everything goes well. When she sees that you're close to grabbing the rope, she'll start to pay attention to other things. She won't be moving this turn.

    I forgot to ask: Is Ariellana using one of the ropes that was on the dock, or her own rope? I am assuming it's a rope that was on the dock.

    I thought about readying an action to help Zephyr if he can't hang onto the rope. But Myn is available to help. Tanglar is nearby, too. If I readied an action, I would end up going in the initiative order after Myn, which is pretty close to my turn again anyway.

    I can't think of anything else Ariellana needs to do on this turn that fits into the standard/move/minor format. She'll keep a hand on the rope attached to the pier so that it doesn't slip as Zephyr grabs it and hauls himself in.

    The rest will be listening, observing, and asking the Dragonborn if he's OK.

    All subject to change if I get a better idea, of course.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    I forgot to ask: Is Ariellana using one of the ropes that was on the dock, or her own rope? I am assuming it's a rope that was on the dock.
    Yes, it's a rope that was on the dock.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atchison
    Age
    32
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Oops, I apparently misinterpreted what you were asking, Umi. Thought you were saying was to ready the minor action. Oh well.

    I'd like to keep the same action readied I guess. Other than that I think I'll just generally delay.

    I would like to see if I can get any more knowledge on what's goin on between this temple and the empire.

    * Religion Check for info *

    * History Check for info *

    * Insight check to see if I can detect bluffing or anything else unusual about the officials response *


    If anyone else has higher history and religion perhaps it'd be helpful to make a check also.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-18-2009 09:28 PM
    Religion Check for info: 1d20 (10) + 4 (4) = 14
    History Check for info: 1d20 (7) - 1 (1) = 6
    Insight check to see if I can detect bluffing or anything else unusual about the officials response: 1d20 (6) + 9 (9) = 15

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I have a high history bonus. I don't mind making a check if it won't be a problem with the actions I've already posted.

    I have about 3' of snow on the ground and am in the middle of an extended power outage. This is the first chance I've had to get to a working computer. I can probably check in every day or so. But I'm really hoping the power will come back on soon!

    Anyway, I'm going on memory (and a previous post) for the history skill check bonus. I did one several moves ago, but I don't recall that I learned anything exciting except for the fact that the situation wasn't normal. I have no idea what my religion check bonus is. A paladin's bonus will probably be higher than mine.

    *
    History check *


    Thanks, Umi, for letting me know about the rope. My character won't necessarily need to keep track of it after Zephyr is back on land.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    OK, that didn't seem to work. Umi, if you'd like to roll my history check, I'm pretty sure the history skill bonus is +11.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Cocoa; 04-19-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •