I too am interested in the answers to the questions. No doubt I'll have more questions later.
Since Zephyr has jumped (or will jump) into the water to save the dragonborn, Ariellana will help her comrade. How best to do it?
I'm thinking she'd head to the side of the barge next to the water and toss a rope over for Zephyr and the dragonborn acolyte to grab. She'd brace herself and/or tie off the rope so that she wouldn't get pulled into the water. This assumes that the current is flowing towards our barge instead of away from it.
Does the barge have any safety gear such as flotation devices attached to long ropes, clearly labeled and accessible and possibly already attached to the side of the barge? That would be easy to grab and use.
Does our charming paladin with the high diplomacy and sweet smile wish to get some likely story ready so that the Trade Ministry person and her guards won't decide that we need a good dunking, too? Perhaps something about how we didn't see the altercation, but just saw someone in the water in distress?
Do we have any idea why the Trade Ministry person might be upset with the second barge and its captain, cargo, and/or passengers?
If the river current is flowing away from our barge, we probably need to quickly get off the barge with all of our gear (all hopefully easy to grab, including Zephyr's) and head downstream to find where Zephyr and the rescued dragonborn have landed. Can we provide any other assistance?
Here's my initiative roll, though if it's high I'll probably delay my turn so I can better support the actions of others.
* initiative roll *
Here are a few other rolls, just in case they help us figure out what's going on. Anyone is free to use my rolls as an "aid another" +2 bonus, and I'll be happy to accept any aid that might help my character.
* history roll, if there's some history that would explain what might be going on *
* religion roll, if there's some religious stuff we could stand to know *
* perception roll with the elf's +1 bonus, though my perception is horrible (and thus this can be used to aid another if I roll high enough) *
* streetwise roll, again probably best used to aid another *
* insight roll, another one my character does not do well *
* And, in case we need some good fast-talking diplomacy, a diplomacy roll to help our high-charisma companions, with a +1 bonus from the half-elves *
Anything else? I'm on a roll. Athletics or acrobatics might be of some use to help Zephyr. But I think I've done enough dice rolls for the moment. I can always do more later if it should be necessary.