Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: im lookin for better play for online PnP.

Downloads
    Uploads

im lookin for better play for online PnP.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    ive been lookin all over the web for something better then just talkin/typing and rollin when i play DnD online. does anyone know of a instant messenager or some kind of online program that has some type of map so you can see where you are in battle. when i play with my buddys at the house we use a huge hexigon map with mini's so we know where everything is at. i want something where everyone can move there own piece. kinda like online chess but mulitplayer. is there anything out there like this. please help me out if you know.

thanks so very much
    Artimas

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think there are a lot of things.

I am ignorant of these things, but have come up with something on my own. I make grids/maps in powerpoint and put in symbols for players/items/baddies. I then import the slides into google docs. My players move their icons to where on the map they want to be, put markers on the baddies to indicate marking status and such, and you save the file if you have to leave and all of the markers are in their same place as before.

A little crude, but I think it works. It is better than nothing (for online stuff).
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When last I checked, OpenRPG was such a beastie.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are some Vassal mods that have grids and pieces usable for RPGs.

www.vassalengine.org

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rptools Maptool, it's free and I've played with it for several years successfully. Just search rptools.

the dm's computer acts as a server with the maps and you (the player) can move your token in real time. it has a dice roller and chat window, but we also use skype voice chat and IM to play (speeds it up immensly) Alot of people use Ventrilo also (for the voice chat)

Except for rolling an actual die or throwing cheezy poofs at the dm for bd puns, you're there!

good luck with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cool. thanks for the info. RPtools seems to work for what i was lookin for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use OpenRPG extensively and have written an in program tutorial for it. Maptools obviously has better mapping capability but openRPG has a greater community feel because the servers ave lobby areas to talk to other players. Typically some servers also have forums for coordinating, meeting and such.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For those that game in the chatroom here, how have you found the experience? I'm about to start up a game there myself.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    For those that game in the chatroom here, how have you found the experience? I'm about to start up a game there myself.
    I like the dice roller and you can make each player's text a different color and you can make your own rooms.

We had a problem with the private room, in that if you leave (on accident) the room doesn't show up and you have to be invited to get back in. Killed like 30 min of game play for us.

Sometimes you get observers (which is fine) but not to single out anyone, some will rudely comment on your game or whatever, and it is kind of annoying.

All in all, you'll never beat a live game, but the chat room is a nice alternative.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I like the dice roller and you can make each player's text a different color and you can make your own rooms.

We had a problem with the private room, in that if you leave (on accident) the room doesn't show up and you have to be invited to get back in. Killed like 30 min of game play for us.

Sometimes you get observers (which is fine) but not to single out anyone, some will rudely comment on your game or whatever, and it is kind of annoying.

All in all, you'll never beat a live game, but the chat room is a nice alternative.
    Do the people who create the room have the ability to boot others in it?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Do the people who create the room have the ability to boot others in it?
    I don't think so.

The private room is password protected, but you have to let people know, if someone accidentally is booted (firefox crashes or something), that when they get back into the general room, someone needs to invite them back into the room. Thats the only way to truly prevent someone from entering.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh. Well, hooey. I guess it'll be a locked room afterall.