Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome new players and potential new players.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome new players and potential new players.

Thank you for joining, Ulgrath. I'll look forward to hearing from you, soon.

Thank you for your continuing interest, Yukonhorror. I hope that the recently-posted information is helpful to you. For now, let me address your character as he is developing.

"Nomadic primitive people" are difficult to find in the Aucothian Empire, but not entirely nonexistent. Forest-dwelling elves, however, -are- nonexistent (see the Races in the Empire thread), so that can present an obstacle to your background. Please let me know if any of these "closest matches" would work for you.

1. Your people are in fact nomadic and primitive, living in the remote northern tundra. The alliance is with an equally primitive tribe of cave-dwelling elves. Why are you now hundreds of leagues to the south, on a barge in the Yu River? (See the Acqua Alta thread.)

2. Your people are nomadic and semi-primitive, a mixed-race wandering sept that emulates the nearby goliath culture. Based on the season, you wander from campsite to campsite, hunting, foraging, and growing crops that do not require tending. The group is mostly human, but might also include dragonborn, dwarves, goliaths, half-orcs, and halflings. You regularly encounter other septs which you alternatively cooperate with or fight against, and groups often break off from or join the sept at each stop. There was no alliance with any elves. Your father claimed to be an "elf king" but was probably no more than a vagabond. He either snuck away one night or was broken into two pieces by your grandfather, your choice.

3. Your people are nomadic, but not primitive. Rather than a coherent and culturally-separate tribe, you were born into a wandering mercenary company and their permanent camp followers. Their services are paid for in coin and also the right to temporarily settle an area and work the land. Sometimes, rather than fighting, they are actually employed to clear the land, help with harvests, or perform similar activities. The story of your father is the same as in two, above.

4. Your people are semi-primitive, but not nomadic. You hail from a mountain sept village in the highlands of the Yu river system. It may or may not be a mixed-race settlement as described in two, above. Also, the story of your father the same as in two, above.

5. You were born into a trade caravan originating from the Deep Woods and traveling across the Empire. Your human father was a local magnate or a high-ranking official in the Constellation Bureau. Your mother was the daughter of the elvish caravan leader. Everything else proceeds as you suggested.

6. (The bizarre scenario.) You are the first-born son of two half-elven parents. Your mother is a Bone Lancer and your father is a Star Councillor. You spent your youth surrounded by decadent luxury, but also were given intense tutelage. You gained much, physically, but suffered, academically. When it became obvious that you would not be able to join the Bureaucracy, and one of your younger siblings had a better chance to succeed as a Bone Lancer, your mother challenged you to a duel. She did not want you to stand in the way of your younger brothers and sisters, nor did she wish for you to continue on in disgrace. When you lost, she hurled you bodily off of a cliff. Left for dead, the primal spirits of the area visited you, and restored you to health. Their ritual also happened to unleash the arcane power coursing through your blood. Traveling through the wilderness, you at last came to a sept village where the inhabitants had never before seen a half-elf. Living there, you flourished in a way you never had before. The jarl of the village accepted you as the first among his thanes, wise in the ways of both nature and civilization, and one day announced that you will succeed him.

In most of the scenarios, you are the result of an illicit union. I'm curious what befalls your character's mother in such circumstances. You will also need a reason to leave your people behind. I have some suggestions:
    1. Your tribe was wiped out, either mysteriously, or through explainable means such as plague, war, or famine. You are either cast adrift in the world, or are attempting to fulfill a dream of vengeance.
    2. Your tribe is in critical danger. You need to find the means to save it.
    3. You have been sent to explain why your tribe is unable to provide its annual tribute to the local magnate. (Scenarios 2-4)
    4. You are on a mission to secure resources and/or allies to assist the tribe against its enemies. (Scenarios 2-4)
    5. You wish to negotiate your tribe's integration and permanent settlement in the lowlands. (Scenarios 2-4)
    6. You committed a great offense against your tribe, and were cast out.
    7. You were framed and cast out.
    8. You were overthrown and cast out.
    9. You fell under a sign of ill omen and were cast out.
    10. You voluntarily left your tribe because it is about to join another tribe and you agreed to renounce your place in the leadership.
    11. You are on a quest to prove yourself worthy of marriage.
    12. You are on a vision quest.
    13. You and/or your tribe have stumbled upon a hideous secret and you need to find a way to warn the rest of the world. However, in order to do that, you realize that you need to make a name for yourself, first.

For the characters you suggested, I think I inadvertently left you with the impression that the current time of troubles is an all-out armageddon. It's not that way...yet. However, for any player who wishes to play a servant of the Raven Queen, there is an important quest to be had. The teachings of the Raven Queen strongly oppose the use of necromancy that is spreading throughout land. However, the official church would quickly be suppressed if they expressed their opposition forcefully. Therefore, a certain amount of subtlety is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    let me know via forum post. I have access to PH2 (it is cool). As for one person game, we'll see. I don't know if I'd want to do that. My limit is two characters.

It's not barbarian horde in the sense they rape and pillage. It's more nomadic primitive people that are seen as "too savage." Fighting for his right to be free. That's the concept in my head.

I don't care about frequency. Just saying what we did in the other pbp game I did.

As for other players, there were a couple in my game who posted on a regular basis, search for trollhaunt to find the players in that game.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Actually, I was thinking half-elf for barbarian race. A product of an attempted alliance between the nomadic human tribe and the forest dwelling elves.

Being half-elf helps fill out my concept of multi-classing with sorcerer. While training to tap into my primal energy, he somehow also tapped into the power of the primordial chaos. Bursts of chaotic energy surge through his body and are unleashed when called upon.
    ACTUALLY... I have kind of filled out that half-elf background. In short, the tribe is human, elf king had child with chieftain's daughter (secretly), chieftain was father figure, always rejected by him, thrown off cliff (like a lion) as teenager, landing spot is conduit for primordial energy, infuses me, come back, challenge chieftain, lose (he is the chief afterall), but put up good fight so am now accepted and groomed to be eventual replacement.

I couldn't help myself. I suck at making complex worlds and crazy intertwined plotlines, but I do like individual character concepts.
    another double post. While in seminar, was bored and thinking to myself. I "COULD" do one on one. But will wait for more volunteers. Thinking the party would be made up of the half-elf barbarian, and a combo of

a human battlerager fighter
    and/or other primal classes from same tribe (would be elvish or human to reflect success of alliance)
    and/or divine classes who all worship the raven queen (paladin, cleric, avenger, invoker) who have been charged by their god to stop/minimize the current carnage, because people are dying at a much higher rate than being born, so upsetting the life/death balance. But worshippers of raven queen would be different races from elf/human.

To fill out the other roles.

Also, potential players can feed off of these ideas for their character backgrounds if they so please.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to extend an additional welcome to the newest potential players, JohnChrist and Myn. In accordance with my policy of announcing a character's race and class, I will state that Myn has already got a pretty decent-looking elven druid just about ready to go.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I don't need to do multiple characters. I'll stick with my barbarian/sorcerer half-elf. As for background, I'll need to read through (closer, just scanned for now) what you have wrote and give you my feedback. I just got access to your races/world descriptions, so was working with what little I had.

Although a bit crazy, I do like the last one a bit.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to extend a welcome to Cocoa, who has demonstrated an interest in this game. At this point, we have five potential players. As 4th edition character creation is not a particularly long process, I hope we can have all the characters finished up, and begin playing, in the next few days. In fact, let me go ahead and set a deadline. The adventure's going to begin no later than Monday, April 6th, and it will involve all of the characters who are completed by that point.

Of course, I plan to accept characters later on, but if a player's character isn't ready to go by the deadline, a few things will happen. First, the player will lose their "order in line" so to speak: if another player joins up later and makes the sixth character, there will be no room left in the party. Second, the character will be introduced when I see fit. Finally, I will consider the "core of the party" to be the characters who initially composed it. That means, it's up to the newcomers to fit in with the original characters. Naturally, I still expect the senior players to be gracious about it.

I should reiterate that I consider April 6th to be latest possible date for starting, not the earliest. If I perceive a situation prior to April 6th where I have a certain number of completed characters, and no sign of progress on other characters, I will go ahead and start early.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maximum Players Reached

TheGreenLabrador, a former adventuring comrade of Yukonhorror's, decided to join this group. We are now at the largest party size I feel capable of handling. Further additions to the group will be welcomed as observers, but will not be able to join the adventuring party until such time as a player retires.

I will repeat this elsewhere, but I should make clear at present that simply losing a character due to in-game death will not cause a player to lose their standing in the party. A newly-generated character who replaces the fallen one will have priority in joining the party ahead of any observers. It is the player, not the character, who must withdraw to make way for a new party member.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome, Love2readking. I hope you enjoy your time here. As we are already at six players, you are our first observer, and will have the initial right of refusal to join the party should any of the current players retire or withdraw their seniority.

With this, depending on my schedule, I may begin to refrain from issuing greetings as soon as new members appear. Instead, I will probably announce membership changes on a weekly basis.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings to TheSmartestLemming

A new member has joined our ranks. TheSmartestLemming is now part of The Unquiet Lands as an observer, and will be first in line to join the party should any current player withdraw. I hope you will join me in welcoming TheSmartestLemming.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings to Manimal6

Manimal6 recently joined this group. I would like to extend a welcome to him on behalf of all of us.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings to Anodyzed

Anodyzed joined the group just yesterday. Welcome to the Unquiet Lands!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to all of you! Enjoy your stay.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings to Palpatim

Welcome to the Unquiet Lands group, Palpatim. Thanks for seeking us out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    welcome palpatim, what is your race and class? Don't need any more info than that.

Also, I put up an accounting thread to keep track of long term things like HS and daily powers spent.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    welcome palpatim, what is your race and class? Don't need any more info than that.

Also, I put up an accounting thread to keep track of long term things like HS and daily powers spent.
    Thanks, yukonhorror. Rogur is a human rogue. I've posted a few more details on the characters thread. I'll update the accounting info thread shortly.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings to Ithelryn

Welcome, and thank you for joining, Ithelryn. I hope you find this site entertaining.

In the interest of disclosure, Ithelryn is a friend of mine going back a number of years who has played in a couple of my games, but none of my 4th edition ones. Ithelryn is now currently first on the waiting list if a sixth position should open up in the group. It is also possible that later in the year, I will expand the group to seven or eight members.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Welcome, and thank you for joining, Ithelryn. I hope you find this site entertaining.

In the interest of disclosure, Ithelryn is a friend of mine going back a number of years who has played in a couple of my games, but none of my 4th edition ones. Ithelryn is now currently first on the waiting list if a sixth position should open up in the group. It is also possible that later in the year, I will expand the group to seven or eight members.
    Thank you for the warm welcome Umiushi. Hello all.

I've been reading through your adventures thus far and I'm quite pleased with quality of play (and writing). I've rolled up a character that I think will be useful in supported the party, and I hope when the time comes that she and I will be worthy additions to your team. Thank you.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast