Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Voluntary Request for Maximum Level Character Samples

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Voluntary Request for Maximum Level Character Samples

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So far, I've run games that have incrementally increased in power by no more than half a tier at a time. The Autumn Knight adventure took a look at the upper Heroic Tier, and Dispositio Diabolum has characters going through the lower Paragon Tier. I have some concern about suddenly jumping eighteen more levels without looking around first.

To this end, I would like to invite players from any of my games who are interested in doing so to submit to me a sample 30th level player character. There is no assumption that you will actually play this character, but for anyone who is willing, I might run them through a couple of standalone encounters on chat, or on pbp if there is sufficient interest. However, please make a character that resembles something you would play, in terms of design concept. I want to see how characters look, and how they compare to one another, but characters that I make by myself are handicapped by my own biases.

This is a purely optional exercise, though if you want to play in an epic-level adventure this summer, doing this may align with your interests. Again, this is not assumed to be the character you would play for such an adventure. However, you would be permitted to play the character if you desired to do so, but only if the character meets whatever guidelines are in place at that time, which may be substantially different from the guidelines given below.

Here are the current guidelines for submission. They should be fairly familiar, but are a little less restrictive than prior versions of the same.

• You may use any race or class combination from the following rulebooks:
      • Player's Handbook
      • Player's Handbook 2
      • Player's Handbook 3 (including hybrids)
      • Eberron Player's Guide
      • Heroes of the Feywild

• Do not design evil or chaotic evil characters. The only reason for this restriction is that I don't intend to run an epic-level adventure using such, so they do not represent useful data.
    • You may additionally use options from the following rulebooks
      • Adventurer's Vault
      • Adventurer's Vault 2
      • Manual of the Planes
      • Open Grave
      • Arcane Power
      • Divine Power
      • Martial Power
      • Martial Power 2
      • Primal Power
      • (Do not use Psionic Power; I do not possess that book.)

• Items
      • You may own, for free, exactly three magic items of any level, from 1 to 30. It is assumed you will use this benefit to gain epic tier items of level 30 or close to it.
      • You also have 3,125,000 gp of buying power to spend on any purchasable equipment, rituals, martial practices, mounts, consumable items, etc. from the above books, including more magic items.
      • While most level 30 characters have probably developed large support networks within their narrative contexts, in this case please assume that if you don't buy it, you don't have it.
      • If you own immurements (from Adventurer's Vault 2) you must provide a jpg, bmp, or png image of the immurement's map that is of sufficient size (minimum 640 x 640 pixels) to use in a virtual tabletop program. If you don't have such a thing, don't get the immurement.

• Additional Information
      • Please record the book (and hopefully the page number) where each of your class features, equipment, powers, feats, paragon path abilities, epic destiny abilities, etc. comes from, to make it easier for me to look it up. Do not bother if it's standard Player's Handbook non-magical equipment, or one of the base class or race features, but everything else including all feats and magical items should be listed.
      • Please calculate the total attack bonus, damage bonus, ranges, and additional effects for your basic attacks and all your attack powers, including applicable effects from your feats, features, and magic items. This is among the most valuable information for your character. Do this so I can understand how your feats, etc. work together, and so that I don't have to calculate it myself for multiple characters. If we never get to running actual encounters, this will give me an idea of your character's true capabilities.
      • If you are not using some service that does it automatically, please describe your utility powers, feats, features, and magic item powers, again considering the effects of feats, features, and magic items on each other. Again, this is for the same reasons that I listed in the previous bullet point.
      • As usual, provide your character sheet in a manner that I can store locally.
      • You don't have to provide any sort of justification or background for the character, but please at least give the character a name that won't embarrass any of us. I will of course read any background material you do choose to produce, unless it is ridiculously extensive.

There is currently no deadline for submission. I will start to think about scheduling voluntary encounter sessions once I receive two or three characters. The encounters will be designed with an eye to testing the characters' capabilities, not to being necessarily winnable. They may range from being easy to being impossible.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 01-14-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm having flashbacks to middle school, when I first started playing AD&D. Having no friends with whom I could game, I spent hours rolling up characters that never saw an adventure, but that gave me endless pleasure wondering how they would fare. I think at one point I even considered pitting one of my wizards against Batman or some such; perhaps it's just as well that never came about.

I'll shoot something your way within a week or so. I'll consider it a throwaway character, so I won't be terribly concerned about backgrounds or origin story, nor worry about how I fit it into the setting you discussed for your Epic-level game.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for providing a sample character, Palpatim. It was more useful than you may have expected in terms of giving me some insight into what the capabilities of such a character might be, especially comparing it to characters I made myself. Since it is unlikely that we will go ahead with any epic tier adventures, at least through the summer, I am closing this thread for now.