Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Player Guidelines

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Player Guidelines

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    (Updated November 11, 2010)

If you are interested in playing, please read this in order to determine if the game is going to be a good fit for you, based on these expectations. In particular, guideline 9 has been an issue in the past. Obviously, there is no way I can enforce that one, but please come to my games with the self-determination that you will abide by it.

1) Do not use this game for therapy. This game is strictly for entertainment. If it becomes a crutch, you can figure out for yourself what will happen when it gets taken away from you. If you try to tell me what will happen, I will not read what you write. Instead, I will block your messages and boot you from the game without a second thought.

2) You must be mature enough, and I mean it in both the legal and mental sense, to handle content appropriate for Pen and Paper Games. For now, my understanding of what's appropriate for Pen and Paper Games is based on Farcaster's Forum Rules thread in the News & Announcements section. Beyond that, my decisions will be based on the content of typical fantasy novels written by my favorite authors. (Those would be Steven Brust, Guy Gavriel Kay, George R. R. Martin, Tim Powers, and Roger Zelazny.)

3) In addition to respecting Pen and Paper Games' content rules, I have some further limitations. For reasons of personal taste, I do not want to see people veer off into any form of toilet humor. Also, there is a limit to the level of graphic depictions of violence that I will accept. I admit that I'm not sure what it is, yet. Therefore, if you exceed it, I won't reprimand you, but I'll let you know and will expect you to tone it down a notch.

4) Try not to bring your personal baggage into the game. If you are having a rotten few days and are therefore out of sorts, I'm sure we can work around that. If your rotten few days drag on into months, then you either have to keep it out of the game, or leave.

5) The boundary of what constitutes Too Much Information is closer than in a face-to-face game. We should be friendly to each other, but we are starting this game as associates, not friends. Some of us may become friends in the future, but the bottom line is that, while we're all trying to entertain each other and make a good time for all, I'm running this game from the assumption that we do not want to hear about any player's private issues. I don't mind hearing (without going into too much detail) about how you need to skip a post because you're busy with overtime, or a school project; but what I really don't like is to listen to other people's family issues, health issues, relationship issues, financial or legal issues, vices, or anything of that sort.

6) Players need to be prepared to cooperate with each other. Make an effort to get along with the other players, and do what you can to make it easier for them to get along with you. I'm not asking you to succeed, only to try.

7) Players should have and use a working grasp of spelling and grammar. I'm not asking for perfection, because all I have is a working grasp, too. Certain misspellings and other errors are pet peeves of mine, which is to say that I respond negatively to arguments about them or attempts to justify their use. Also, I don't mind if you point out my own errors, but I will not accept using that as the basis to justify other errors. Anyway, I'll try to be as reasonable as I can in light of being admittedly thin-skinned about this set of issues.

8) Don't whine or complain. I respect that you might have a legitimate issue with some aspect of the game. I also understand that legitimate concerns include issues that are more emotional than objective. If you do have an issue, let's discuss it calmly. You must be prepared to accept my judgment on the matter. I will try to explain my decisions, but I can foresee situations where I will reasonably choose not to do so. Your ultimate right is the ability to vote with your feet.

9) I would like to be notified by the player if he or she departs from the game. I do not want to have to decide that a player has left the game based on a lack of contact.

10) For play-by-post games, we all need to make an effort to post within the specified time frame. This time frame is subject to discussion. Currently it is two separate posting periods a week from everyone.

11) For chat games, if you cannot make it to a session that you are scheduled to attend, or if you have reason to expect that you will be late or must leave early, please notify me as soon as possible. I understand that unexpected issues come up, but otherwise I should like to know at least 72 hours ahead of time.

12) Similarly, due to the high attrition rate for chat games, even if you have avowed that you will attend a session far in advance, please confirm again about two weeks before the scheduled session.

13) Do not pressure other players into making specific choices for their characters or punish them for making such choices. I want players to be free to make the characters they wish as long as they follow the campaign-appropriate guidelines for doing so. You may of course make suggestions. Also, "the party needs a leader," or "there are too many strikers," is acceptable as an opinion expressed once in a while, but I would not want it to become a constant refrain, either to me, or especially to other players.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 11-12-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added guidelines 11-13 and preface