Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions and Answers (all are welcome to post)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Questions and Answers (all are welcome to post)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I will endeavor to use this thread to address any questions and inquiries concerning the game and its setting. I will take questions from observers and players. Questions unrelated to the game will probably be deleted.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-23-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    could you provide a map (even if very crude) of the world. I am a visual person, and I get lost in the details when I read.

also, (i may have missed it), but how do we handle dice rolls (as players)?

Are you doing them all, do you trust us, what???
    Last edited by yukonhorror; 03-25-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I miss my old 2.0 D&D mapping software. You wouldn't happen to know of any decent, free mapping software out there, would you? Give me a couple days on this one. I'm playing around with Autorealm, and I'm also tempted to draw out the map using the Age of Wonders game editor and then take a screenshot.

I'm interested in the automated dice roller that the forum is supposed to have. I'll use it if I convince myself that it can't be spoofed. If there is no solution that I'm happy with, we can do one of two things: either I can roll the numbers for everyone; or for those of you who want more control over your own destinies, I can do the old "pick a card trick" where you choose a number for each die rolled, and I map it to another number using the handy pseudo-random number tables in the back of my old college Statistics textbook. However, I'm getting ahead of myself: I need a little more time to examine the available options.

* Test *

Edit--I'm kind of liking the dice roller, and upon initial examination, it looks like it would be a pain to spoof it. What do the rest of you think?
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-26-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    03-26-2009 05:07 AM
    Test: 3d6 (2,2,3 = 7)
    03-26-2009 05:11 AM
    Test: 3d6 (5,2,5 = 12)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As for large map, even if you do something super crude in paint, I would be happy.

is the dice roller like in chat? If so I like that. I would suggest roll to hit and dam assuming it hits.

/roll 1d20+7

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The dice roller is similar to chat, but instead of saying /roll, you need to use tags. In order to roll 5d8+5, for example, you would type ROLL="5d8+5" encased in square brackets, followed by the text (such as Example: rolling 5d8+5), followed by /ROLL again encased in square brackets. In the window provided for typing these posts, there is a button on the upper right that resembles a small red d6 with six pips showing. This is a shortcut for generating the tags but you'll always have to add the flavor text by hand:
    * Example: rolling 5d8+5 *

I'll try to get that map to you soon.

03-27-2009 01:48 AM
    Example: rolling 5d8+5: 5d8 (7,2,6,3,2 = 20) + 5 (5) = 25

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Attached are your requested super-crude maps from MS Paint. Just don't imagine they are to scale or in any way reflect the actual shape of terrain. For example, the Orange Peaks are actually must thicker than the Central Range is, and the Vodlaian Archipelago is much larger and more extensive than merely three islands. Also, it should go without saying that, despite the colors I selected, the terrain is not homogeneous: you will find forests, hills, valleys, and so forth in Eastern Aucothia, for instance. However, this should give you a rough idea of where you will wind up if you pick a compass direction and head that way.

The second map is a bit more of a close-up. Think of the "valleys" as somewhat terraced. The Byswel Valley has a higher elevation than the Beil Valley, which in turn is higher than the Yu Valley. Also, the Yu River is the mainstem river, but by no means the only river. The various tributaries, channels, anabranches, and lakes are not shown.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mimo/Desktop/AucothiaCrude.JPG[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AucothiaCrude.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeilCrude.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	201  
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-27-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    * insert your text here *
    Last edited by yukonhorror; 03-27-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    * JohnC makes a sweeping strike at the dice roller (2d10 + 5) *

Just testing a roll sorry if you wanted to keep them out of here
    Last edited by JohnChrist; 03-27-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo

03-27-2009 08:49 AM
    JohnC makes a sweeping strike the dice roller (2d10 + 5): 2d10 (4,4 = 8) + 5 (5) = 13

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I may have gotten it, I am an idiot, but let's try this out.

* With a sweep of his pick, Zephyr impales his foe *

03-27-2009 08:59 AM
    With a sweep of his pick, Zephyr impales his foe: 1d20 (15) + 5 (5) = 20

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for allowing me to join your game, and thanks for the maps!

You asked if we were OK with the dice roller on the forum. Yes, I am OK with it if you are. I have no plans to spoof any dice rolls. This is a game. Let the dice fall where they may.

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for my questions, but I'll ask anyway. If it's not the right sub-forum, which one should I use instead?

Is there somewhere where we can see each others' character sheets? In particular, I'd like to find out more about what class/race other people might be choosing. My own choices will depend on others, since I tend to like a good party balance. I also plan to choose a race/class combo I don't have much experience with, so that I can learn how to play that type of character.

I did see that Yukonhorror has set up Zephyr, a half-elf barbarian multi-classing with sorcerer. You also mentioned that another player might be an elven druid. How about the others? Should we discuss it in the general discussion sub-forum? Or would you prefer that all of our character information be private, initially known only to the creator and you?

When I make my character, should I create a thread for him/her? If so, what should be in the thread?

Is information from the WotC Dragon on-line magazine available for our use if it's from one of the free issues that anyone can see online?

Thanks!

And my test roll of the dice:

* smack the nearest electron *

03-28-2009 07:00 PM
    smack the nearest electron: 1d20 (3) + 7 (7) = 10

Downloads
    Uploads

Character

Hey Cocoa,

I plan on being a half-elf paladin focused on defense at least to start.

I think I read somewhere on here that Umiushi said that you can post the character on the forum or PM him. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll probably have a character sheet and background up this weekend. Probably do it about like Zephyr did unless Umiushi wants us to keep those all in one thread.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    I miss my old 2.0 D&D mapping software. You wouldn't happen to know of any decent, free mapping software out there, would you? Give me a couple days on this one. I'm playing around with Autorealm, and I'm also tempted to draw out the map using the Age of Wonders game editor and then take a screenshot.
    I think maptools is a good tool. also open rpg. I don't know anything about them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another I've heard kicked around if you have it is Neverwinter Nights design tool. I happen to have a copy and can definitely see how it could be useful. Design your area, take a screenshot, and edit a grid onto it with an image editing application (Gimp or I suppose MS Paint).

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I think maptools is a good tool. also open rpg. I don't know anything about them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    half-elf paladin focused on defense
    Thanks!

OK -- a half-elf paladin, a half-elf barbarian/sorcerer, and a possible elven druid. That's the Defender, Striker, and Controller roles.

I'd be happy to take the Leader role if no one else does. I haven't played that kind of character yet. I'll probably create a Warlord, though I haven't decided which race yet. Bard looks interesting, too, especially if I want to go with the group's half-elf theme. Cleric has some interesting role-playing possibilities given the background we've been provided. Decisions, decisions...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    Thanks!

OK -- a half-elf paladin, a half-elf barbarian/sorcerer, and a possible elven druid. That's the Defender, Striker, and Controller roles.

I'd be happy to take the Leader role if no one else does. I haven't played that kind of character yet. I'll probably create a Warlord, though I haven't decided which race yet. Bard looks interesting, too, especially if I want to go with the group's half-elf theme. Cleric has some interesting role-playing possibilities given the background we've been provided. Decisions, decisions...

both are good leaders. I have played a resourceful warlord before, and I liked it. The cunning bard is more of a background guy for combat (atk from a distance). The valor bard and warlord are more frontline combatants. If you like messing with the badguys, that is more cunning bard. If you like to provide more boosts to your allies, that would be tactical warlord. If you like to take chances, that's the bravura warlord. If you like to be versatile, you'll like resourceful warlord. For more healing and such, the inspiring warlord and valor bard are good.

As for race, pick what you think works best and what makes for a better character backstory.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast