Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions and Answers (all are welcome to post)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for my questions, but I'll ask anyway. If it's not the right sub-forum, which one should I use instead?

Is there somewhere where we can see each others' character sheets? In particular, I'd like to find out more about what class/race other people might be choosing. My own choices will depend on others, since I tend to like a good party balance. I also plan to choose a race/class combo I don't have much experience with, so that I can learn how to play that type of character.

I did see that Yukonhorror has set up Zephyr, a half-elf barbarian multi-classing with sorcerer. You also mentioned that another player might be an elven druid. How about the others? Should we discuss it in the general discussion sub-forum? Or would you prefer that all of our character information be private, initially known only to the creator and you?

When I make my character, should I create a thread for him/her? If so, what should be in the thread?

Is information from the WotC Dragon on-line magazine available for our use if it's from one of the free issues that anyone can see online?
    Questions and Answers
    Yes, this is indeed the right thread. Please continue to post your questions here.

Character Threads
    There is no need to make a thread for your character, unless you wish to do so.

Rules from Dragon
    I am not accepting rules or material from Dragon magazine, even if it's available for everyone to see. If at a later date I do decide to accept a rule from there, or a similar source, I will make a posting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    I think I read somewhere on here that Umiushi said that you can post the character on the forum or PM him. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll probably have a character sheet and background up this weekend. Probably do it about like Zephyr did unless Umiushi wants us to keep those all in one thread.
    Character Sheets
    Nobody is required to post their character sheet publicly; they can all be sent to me via private message. However, as they are confirmed, I will share characters' races and classes. As of now, the following are confirmed:
    Elven Druid
    Half-elven Barbarian
    Half-elven Paladin

Incidentally, information I privately receive from players always trumps public character sheets. The only pieces of information you may rely on are the classes and races. However, this works both ways: make sure that your most up-to-date character sheet is sent to me privately or there might be misunderstandings down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I think maptools is a good tool. also open rpg. I don't know anything about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnChrist View Post
    Another I've heard kicked around if you have it is Neverwinter Nights design tool. I happen to have a copy and can definitely see how it could be useful. Design your area, take a screenshot, and edit a grid onto it with an image editing application (Gimp or I suppose MS Paint).
    Map Tools
    Thank you both for the recommendations. Is the Neverwinter Nights design tool free?

I'd be happy to take the Leader role if no one else does. I haven't played that kind of character yet. I'll probably create a Warlord, though I haven't decided which race yet. Bard looks interesting, too, especially if I want to go with the group's half-elf theme. Cleric has some interesting role-playing possibilities given the background we've been provided. Decisions, decisions...
    Party Theme
    I should mention that the two characters I have background information about come from very different cultures. There is no unified party theme yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, unfortunately it is not free. I was just throwing it out there if you had an old copy of the game.

I played around with MapTools a little last night and it looked like it'd be fairly easy to work with provided you had art assets to use as tokens and background objects. It seems to come with enough of each to demo the application but not much else. It seemed rather obtuse to me at the start but the online tutorials helped a lot (at least the ones I got to).

Downloads
    Uploads
    You wouldn't happen to know of any decent, free mapping software out there, would you?
    I've seen the following mentioned:

AutoRealm (which you're experimenting with)

RPTools MapTool (mentioned by Yukonhorror)

Google's Sketch-up

Inkscape

GIMP (mixed reviews because of its complexity; it's a free Photoshop type program) or Photoshop

Excel -- make a grid, re-size the squares to your liking, then fill with appropriate colors and symbols and backgrounds and what-not. Then take a screenshot, crop it, and convert it to a jpeg or gif. Good enough for an encounter map.

WotC's Dungeon Tile mapper gets mixed reviews, but people often use the tiles and existing maps in other image programs.

Some people find interesting shots through Google Earth and use them as a basis for maps.

Some people sketch things out by hand and scan/upload. But that's not what you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the continuing advice concerning mapping tools. I will make my decision later this week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Myn is tall and slight, even for an elf. His hair is chestnut blonde, and cropped to his neck, and eyes shine emerald green. He wears light leather armor and carries a staff of his height.

[OoC]
    I plan to play a wood elf druid, with my party role being that of a controller/striker. My character is a bit in flux, so things might change slightly before the game begins.

Generally I plan to Charge and Pounce (gives combat advantage to next attacker) consecutive enemies, and let you guys take them out at your leisure. I’ll also slide them around as necessary. My damage isn’t going to approach striker range, though, so it’s up to you guys to do most of the heavy work.
    [/OoC]

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there anything (character sheet wise), you need from me?
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working up a sheet (and background, etc.) for an Eladrin Warlord, Tactical Presence build. I'll be a leader, with some defender/striker overtones. If one of the other players (such as Ulgrath) is planning to play a Cleric or another kind of leader, I'll switch to a defender or striker class instead.

TheGreenLabrador, do you know what kind of character you will be creating?

I haven't decided how much to boost my character's healing ability versus the fighting ability. I'm dithering about feats -- do I take one for extra healing, or extra bonuses for allies, or extra ability to hit/hurt an enemy myself? Any will fit with my character concept.

A warlord seems to have pretty decent healing ability. Other that that, a lot of what he/she does is to add bonuses to allies, provide handicaps to enemies, and allow other allies to do things (either attack or shift).

Since I haven't played a warlord before, I am not sure how best to take advantage of the tactical opportunities. I'll learn as we go. Please do feel free to give advice so that I can better play my character.

Do we want to move our discussion of characters to the General Discussion forum? I wouldn't mind seeing everyone's character sheets (or important highlights therefrom) if they're willing to share. If a storyline requires discretion or secrecy, that's fine with me, too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Concerning character sheets and the posting thereof:

First of all, Yukonhorror, if the last version of Zephyr's character sheet you mailed to me contains the most up-to-date information, then we're good to go. I believe that the last complete background I have from you slightly differs from the end result of our multiple discussions, so I would ask that you go over it one more time and send me the finalized version.

Once again, nobody is required to post their character sheet in a public thread. All that is necessary is class and race, and I will provide that information once I have it. Incidentally, I will be posting what I currently know in the Characters thread that was created by JohnChrist.

By the same token, there is no rule preventing anyone from sharing their character sheets. This party is supposed to work together, not be at each other's throats, after all. However, I do ask that everyone respect those players who prefer to be discreet about their characters. So, in the end, each player can decide how much, if anything, they wish to venture beyond their class and race.

Now, having said all that, this week, we need to arrive at a consensus as to how this party formed. Therefore, even the most discreet character will need to share enough information before the adventure begins to give the other characters "hooks" to latch onto. I will go into more details in my post on the Characters thread.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-31-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a slightly more accurate version of Aucothia. I'm still experimenting with different map software.[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mimo/Desktop/AucothiaMap.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AucothiaMap.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	209  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Testing some aspects of the dice roller

* with spaces *

* No ""'s *

* normal *

--- Merged from Double Post ---
    And testing the double post merging
    Last edited by JohnChrist; 04-04-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-04-2009 03:17 PM
    with spaces: 1d20 (0) + 5 (5) = 5
    No ""'s: 1d20 (0) + 2 (2) = 2
    normal: 1d20 (4) + 2 (2) = 6
    04-04-2009 03:18 PM
    with spaces: 1d20 (0) + 5 (5) = 5
    No ""'s: 1d20 (0) + 2 (2) = 2
    normal: 1d20 (1) + 2 (2) = 3

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do posts auto-merge? Is there some way to turn that off? If not, I'll learn to live with it. It rather surprised me at first. It also makes it look like we're messing with the forum dice roller even when we're not. Luckily, the auto-merged post shows the history of the dice rolls so the extras can be discarded.

Thanks, Myn, for coming up with some kind of reason why our group is together, even if they're mostly just chatting for now.

One other thing that may get our characters together, at least casually: none of the characters is human. If this area is mostly populated by humans, then non-humans might naturally gravitate towards each other for conversation if nothing else. Conversation can lead to shared goals. Mere proximity when the action starts can lead the characters to band together for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One other thing that may get our characters together, at least casually: none of the characters is human. If this area is mostly populated by humans, then non-humans might naturally gravitate towards each other for conversation if nothing else.
    That's an excellent point.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Auto-merge and the dice roller

Why do posts auto-merge? Is there some way to turn that off? If not, I'll learn to live with it. It rather surprised me at first. It also makes it look like we're messing with the forum dice roller even when we're not. Luckily, the auto-merged post shows the history of the dice rolls so the extras can be discarded.
    Even with my permissions, I can't seem to avoid the auto-merge. If one of you does know how to turn off auto-merge, please let the rest of us know. From what I can see, posts will auto-merge if they are posted by the same person within a certain time frame. I have not determined what that time frame is, but right now I believe it may be one day.

I understand the anxiety concerning the dice roller and auto-merge. Rest assured that I appreciate what the circumstances are. I will be making an announcement about that shortly, using the Forum announcement system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind that just editing doesn't reroll the dice. The easy fix is if you have to state something more that you edit it instead of making another post.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think if you hit the ='' button it avoids a double post. I think.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    this does not help.

I do have one suggestion. I think this would help DM and players alike.

A sort of accounting topic. Just edit the same entry to keep up to date on hp, temp hp, conditions, action pts left, HS left, daily powers used/unused, etc... Started topic as an example. You are welcome to delete said topic.
    Last edited by yukonhorror; 04-06-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast