Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GURPs <insert movie title>

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    LOL! No, nosebleeds - Atila the Hun. However, you are correct there was too much inbreading.
    These people were nuts... believing somehow their blood was better than everyone elses.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Divine blood.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They did believe in the divine right of kings. Must have been a great time to be a king, but a peasant, not so much.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Maybe but a peasent didn't have to worry about an assassin waiting behind everydoor.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    Maybe but a peasent didn't have to worry about an assassin waiting behind everydoor.
    True, but i'd much rather be watching out for assassins that for food on a daily basis. Buy hey, that's just me.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not sure that it was as bad as it was made out to be.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On the one had, id like to say your correct. But, taking human nature into account, i'd say it could have very possibly been worse.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In some cases - for sure but I am unconvinced overall it was that bad. Otherwise suicide would have been more rampant...yes, it was a sin but if the conditions were so awful...well you get my drift.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, we're getting to the point where we'll start to wax philosophical if we're not careful (but then, this is a GURPS forum, right?)... but without frame of reference, I don't think they would.

Part of why it would be so miserable for us is because we have known better. It would be the loss of a really good life that would make us miserable enough to override our survival instinct. If we didn't, if all we had ever known was the life of a peasant, we wouldn't know any better... and we'd scratch out a living as we could.

But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a peasant. I've got a healthy distrust of authority, and when exposed to the nobility thing, it really pisses me off. It's why I can't play Warhammer Fantasy, my poor, meek little Priests always end up serial killers whenever a nobleman started being a jerk... I get completely out of character over it.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Medieval European peasants had it bad relative to most modern Americans, but I doubt it was a life of unremitting toil and gloom. We're used to modern conveniences and comparatively abundant leisure time (evenings and weekends), but it's a bit dramatic to think that losing those would drive vast numbers to suicide ... most people adjust and make a living however they can. A few Westerners even move to impoverished third-world countries and live there (usually for a few years).

Warhammer, and many movies, play up the grit and grime of the medieval period, but, for example, medieval people had better teeth than most moderns, simply because they didn't have refined sugar. The Elizabethan era ushered in an age of extraordinarily bad teeth.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    I guess to get the game started again, I'd better list some movies:

Watchmen
    V for Vendetta

Along with the Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, I like the idea of costumed vigilantes who rely only on physical conditioning, skills, a few (or a lot of) plausible gadgets, and a whole lot of guts. A long time ago I had an idea for a low-powered superhero campaign where Batman (or an expy) was the senior hero, but Bruce Wayne existed only in comics loosely based on him; much like the later Batman Beyond, there was one guy who did the rough stuff, and one guy behind the scenes who did the thinking.

Also, I wish someone had a sourcebook for earthbound retro-futures like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Metropolis, or Things to Come.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 04-22-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All the Indiana Jones movies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does GURPS actually do well mechanically with the big monsters like aliens? being deadly in combat, it seems that those type of games would eat through the characters pretty fast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That seems realistic to me. When faces with an Alien, you shouldn't expect your entire party to survive.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All the Aliens movies then

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS is the game I own the most material from, without ever having seriously played it. Therefore, my preferences may not be solidly grounded. Still, here they are: setting mooks aside, I've always imagined that GURPS lends itself to games with a relatively small cast of highly detailed NPCs that the party interacts with fairly often. I don't much care for the vehicles rules, whether it's spaceships, mecha, or race cars, so I would probably stay away from making those the center of my games. Also, fighting hordes of faceless minions all at once, or going through lots of flashy pyrotechnics, I leave that for other games. I picked stories that reflect these preferences of mine.

Lawrence of Arabia - Epic, fantasy-like campaign in a near-contemporary setting and lots of fun with character advantages and disadvantages.

I'm also going to stray away from movies.

Kanon - Wonderful opportunities to throw in lots of supernatural abilities without going all "Teenagers from Outer Space" on the party. I believe there might be a GURPS Kanon sourcebook published in Japan, but I couldn't say for sure...could have been a hoax or an unlicensed work. Air would work for similar reasons.

The Last Light of the Sun - Use GURPS Vikings along with GURPS Middle Ages I, and you're practically already there.

Doctor Who/Torchwood - This is your sandbox for all those truly weird GURPS abilities.

Eden of the East - There's no question that it would be a real headache for the referee to come up with the price list here, but wow, this could be a game your players will remember for the rest of their lives. If I had a copy of GURPS Prisoner, it would be interesting to see how well the ideas in it would lend themselves to an Eden of the East game.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast