Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: A homegrown game in the werks - Fantasia

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Post A homegrown game in the werks - Fantasia

Here is the lead in story so to speak - one of them anyways and some other basic intel for now - I hope to be running a tester game in the next few weeks as my time permits.

A package arrived in the mail today, oddly wrapped and smelling of burnt cheese. Just before I opened it I realized this odd package was intended for Mr. Gibbs, the recluse old man across the street. Although many urban legends circulate about Mr. Gibbs, many horrifying and bizarre, I know Mr. Gibbs as a quiet fragile old man lost in some sort of never ending day dream of some fantasy world where the dead walk and he was some fierce creature fighting to save the world. Mr. Gibbs rarely talks in depth about his "dreams", being labeled insane and having spent a better portion of the last decade in an asylum, he seldom speaks of his fantasies nowadays.
    Most of our town sees him as a cook and the neighborhood kids often vandalize his property for kicks or make crazy dares to break in. This has resulted in several police interventions but has produced at least one bit of strange fact. Rollins, Jimmy Rollins was put on probation after he was caught breaking into Mr. Gibbs house a few months back, and what he saw was probably more strange then some of the stories that are flying around town.
    Mr. Gibbs, a man well into his 90's must really have lost his marbles. Jimmy saw Mr. Gibbs dressing some sort of medieval armor loaded up to the hilt with stuff, ranting and raving in the middle of his bedroom ( the dark library) as it has been called. Mr. Gibbs has a vast collection of really curious books and weird artifacts. Nothing like Huck Finn, we are talking Metabolism of the dead, and resonance of a beating heart… yeah weird and many others in Latin or something with strange diagrams and pictures like right out of some Dungeons and Dragons novel.
    I know, you are thinking how do I know all this, Jimmy could not possibly have seen all that. You are right he didn't see, "all" that. I have been befriended Mr. Gibbs in lieu of my social friend's ideals and have been helping him around his house for the last 2 years or so. Mr. Gibbs thinks it better I keep our friendship a secret, less suffering on my part he keeps telling me.
    There is this one curiosity I have above the rest, and there are a lot of them with Mr. Gibbs. What's in the attic. I'm not a prowler or a sneak but last week Mr. Gibbs told me he had to show me something soon and that he is preparing something in the attic for me and , of course, I am NOT to go in there for any cleaning or whatnot. Even stranger, he wants be to bring a few of my most trusted friends as many as 3. He said he had this feeling. Yeah this feeling I am having is a bit apprehensive. And trying to get even my closest friends on board to going into Mr. Gibbs attic for some sort of "surprise, is not without its perils, never-mind just going to his house or admitting my past two years of activities helping the ole man out. Nevertheless, even while they think I am mad, my closest buds have agreed to come along. Johnny, after getting over the initial shock and letting out a few minutes of teasing at me, agreed he was going to get my back and anything that ole man tried to pull, he would Hi-Ya him with his karate, which he takes too seriously bordering on the edge of becoming a bully he reins in his fierce thirst for competition and helps keep the sanity of the friendship in tact.
    Then there is Kara, we have been friends since the third grade. She is odd in her own way. Not one to back down easily from a challenge, if at all, she will often take the guys by storm, a dart champion at the local pub, she carries that edgy air of arrogance but underneath it all she is as tender hearted as they come. I fear that the sharp pencil she keeps tucked in the back pocket of her size 3 jeans gives here a false sense on security. You see, she never used to play darts. She calls it her lucky pencil One day , Larry Whitinghouse was man handling his girlfriend, and close friend to Kara, Julie in front of Pilber's Market. Kara stepped in and tore Larry off her. To say the least he was not impressed. Shoving Kara he walked backwards down the street egging her on, calling both of them all sorts of names I don't wish to put on paper. Kara was pissed. She picked up Julie's pencil ,which had spilled onto the ground along with the rest of her purse, and flung it at Larry more out of frustration then any desire to maim him at that moment. The pencil soared with precision, and even though Larry was almost 15 feet away, it landed with enough force to drive itself completely through his hand. Ironically the one he was using to flip the girls off with. After the charges against Kara were dropped, she always carried a 2 pencil with her and coincidently learned the game of darts. It is no surprise that locals are wary of Dart teams with Kara on them. So as long as she has her 2 on her, she feels that a 90 plus year old man has no chance.
    And last there is Robbie. Robbie is a loner, not in the miscreant sort of the word, but because of his brainy and deeply attentive studious nature. He can let loose with the best of em, but is always over analyzing situations and , well he would be great friends I think with Mr. Gibbs, if not only for their universal weirdness and interest in fantasy worlds and all that jazz. Robbi has been a good friend since the third grade as well when I and Kara rescued him from a band of ruthless bullies. Ok, it was two and they were pilfering lunch money at the bus stop.
    That leaves me. I am your average Joe. Scott is the name and I have no game. I go with the flow and fit in to about anywhere. Since we are not born into a cast system in our modern world, I am not locked into any sort of indentured role in society. I roll with whatever the day throws at me or my buds get me into. While I keep a steady hand on the wheel, I am constantly barraged by those around me about direction in life and deciding on this or that. I am happy right now not fulfilling that casting call of role makers and just work where I fit in.
    Anyways, back to Mr. Gibbs and the package. Tonight is the night. Yes the night, creepy right. You try convincing 3 of your best friends to go to the attic of some convicted loony at night based on the sole judgments of me. Well, I did it amazingly and there are coming.
    So I am going to get this nasty smelling package to Gibbs and ill get back to you later.
    It is later and I am happy to report that we, yes we have been at Gibb's house for nearly three hours now, laughing and really settling the nerves of everyone here. Mr. Gibbs in this really elated mood, happy and content. I have never seen him like this, ever. It is a little unnerving wondering why he is so happy and what he has planned for us upstairs.
    It was nine 'O clock on the dot when Gibbs suddenly looked ill and his whole demeanor changed, almost sad, a deep sadness, the kind that reaches all the way into your souls and traps even the brightest hope in its darkness.
    One by one we realized that the mood had changed and one by one we fell silent. Mr. Gibbs stood slowly, showing his age now, looking frailer then I had ever seen him, looking as though he were on his death bed but standing. We all looked at each other, nerves flaring and we could sense in each other the pity we at that moment felt for him. He asked in a raspy withering voice for each of us to help him up to the attic even though our protests offering to do it another night when he was feeling better,. He silently strode toward the stairs, where we all grabbed a hold of him and gently helped him up to the attic door.
    What we saw when we entered was not anything any of us expected. There was a straw bed against a wall, and a small table about the height of a stand up dresser against the far wall, and the only decoration was some strange hieroglyph and symbols like a complex physics problem scrawled across the entire length of the wall ending in a drawing of an arched door with no knob or handle.
    You could tell we all were immediately at ease, expecting some sort of torture chamber or occult sacrificing ritual. Mr. Gibbs now appeared even frailer, and motioned slowly to help him to the straw bed. He muttered in barely a whisper, "not much time left" please read to me, each of you. We were a little disappointed but gravely concerned for Mr. Gibbs. Robbi kept urging us to call 911. That's Robbi for ya. Gibbs lifted a shaky arm and pointed to a large book on the table across the room, each of you read, and then answers one question from me. Ok this was really odd but he was insisted and in a matter of 3 hours we had grown closer to the old man then any amount of years it seems could have given us.
    We all huddled around Gibbs as Kara retrieved the book and began to open its ornate cover. Gibbs sternly with tenacity unbecoming his current state ordered the rest of us to back up to the center of the room. We were shocked and before we could protest he said "One at a time". Kara quickly waved us off and tapped her 2 for clarity. We backed up about ten feet, to stay within earshot as Kara started reading. It was silent in the room, we could not hear Kara, or even Gibbs from only ten feet, unnerving to say the least and weird. But Kara looked to be in no harm. She closed the book and Gibbs nodded and said only one word, which was clearly heard…."NEXT".
    We all took our turns, when it came to me I opened the books and began reading some sort of description on magic and the correct usage and theories of combat and all that mumbo jumbo. When I was finished, Gibbs asked me if I understood what I read and to explain it to him. To be honest I was dumbfounded, I couldn't make sense of it. I felt Gibbs would be disappointed with me but he just smiled and said well done and told Robbi, who was last, it was his turn to read, sending me to the center of the room.
    After Robbi was done, Gibbs motioned us back to his bedside. Gibbs now looked very pale, his eye sockets dark like his body was rapidly dying. Fast like some twisted undead sci-fi movie does it. His eyes lock with mine and he spoke…………….
    "You have passed the test, and are all worthy",
    When Johnny started to say, "Worthy of what….." his voice failed him and no more sound came out. Gibbs never broke eye contact with me. Johnny kept talking apparently not aware that nobody could hear him.
    You will be tested, again and again. Your life will be a test of your souls, Gibbs continued his words strong with passion and life, while his body seemed to fall darker with every sound he made.
    You have been chosen. Chosen by fates beyond this world, chosen to …… " His words were drowned out in a flurry of coughs and gurgling as his body lurched and pitched in a gruesome display of death fighting to take what little life remained. After a few moments of these horrific tremors I turned to my friends, who all seemed locked in staring at Gibbs, calmly with no signs of shock or anything. I looked to Johnny, now still. A single tear rolled down Johnny's cheek. Of all people Johnny, a tear, what the hell was going on?
    Gibbs, rolled his head slowly toward me like a skeleton in some poorly done carnival haunted house. His grey blue eyes were vibrant, full of youth, of life, a stark contrast to the body before us wasting right before our eyes.
    " Scott, Thank you. Your choices will grant me freedom and your courage has given me peace" He did not move his lips but I heard his voice. It seemed young and strong, I heard it clearly as though he were talking to me . Gibbs said a few more lines that struck me deep and my eyes erupted with a wetness that is reserved for the sting of a long time friend that has departed. I didn't understand why it felt so intense.
    The color of his eyes faded to grey as his let loose his final breath, and slowly closed his eyes. He lay still on the bed. So many questions, no more answers …..
    One by one Kara, Johnny and Robbi looked across the room to the table, then I heard Gibb's voice call to me and it told me before it trailed off to silence.
    "On the table is a scroll with your name on it. Take it, read it, and accept your gift beyond that door."
    "What door?" I asked to myself and the answer suddenly startled me. All my being was instinctively drawn to the drawn door on the wall, the drawing with no handle or knob.
    One by one Kara, Johnny and Robbie left Mr. Gibbs side. Kara put a gentle hand on my shoulder that broke my shock and awe of what just happened and motioned me toward the table. On the table four tightly rolled up scrolls sat. Scrolls that were not there when we picked up the book to read to Gibbs. Each one was sealed with a red wax seal, and in each of the seals was one of our names.
    I asked how they knew about their names on the scrolls and they said Gibbs just told them, and about the door. Somehow, I can not explain even if I tried in a million years. Gibbs was speaking to each of us, at the same time, and instructing us, comforting us and leading us to this door.
    The night had already been far stranger then any of us would admit, this while pressing a lot of questions on us, didn't keep us from each picking up the sealed scrolls. On three we agreed. One ………..two …………three.
    In unison we broke the seals.

You awake, parched and groggily to the bleak evening. The cool snap of a sea breeze slaps against your cheek. A scroll, words, names, spinning a door, darkness, screams……now here. Where is here? You drag yourself to your knees and hear the faint sounds of a somewhat familiar voice, its sound piercing your mind growing louder, louder……..You awaken violently , an odd creature standing in front of you calling your name loudly, another behind you shaking you as to awaken u from a deep sleep. Your head is still spinning….and then you snap, you remember Gibbs, the reading, the doorway stepping through, the whirl of images, memories that were not your own, Robbie, Kara, John fading into the darkness, changing……..”
    SCOTT “
    a strong and squeaky voice yells a final time and your eyes snap open your mind clears what it can and you try to scramble to you feet, away from the funny looking creature before you, calling your name…..
    ”Scott, stop, its me…..Kara….Its…”
    You turn meeting the gaze of a large hairy beast, looking blankly at you.
    “Scott, its me”
    How, where, what are these things how do they know my name, the thoughts thunder through your mind , racing, you turn violently away, trying desperately to get away, to think……
    ”Sit down, calm do…. “
    The sounds trails off as you feel yourself falling, darkness enveloping you, tired….so tired…..you collapse where you stand.

You have been called forth, you have been chosen and IT knows you have come. Fantasia awaits, what remains of it anyways.

The game is called Fantasia - very misleading from what you may think. No this is not Disney, unless Tim Burton has secretly taken over Good ole Walt's kingdom and made all the good little boys and girls his undead minions.
    This game revolves heavily around a vast and unforgiving landscape tainted millenia past by an unnatural evil, cursing the very ground of the world, stripping it of life, leaving vast barrens of harsh landscape and only speckled remnants of life, struggling to survive, holding on to scant remnants of hope foretold of in legends all but lost to the mist of the ages.
    Now in lamens terms. I also like D&D and had a great liking for any adventure that revolved around taking out the mysterious and gruesome undead. This is not a sick flick, blood and gore game, but does center on taint and entering into a dark world bereft of any lawful order to its chaos.
    Find your way, complete quests for the folk around you, search out treasure, glory, and an end to the source of the evil that binds this land in unliving darkness.
    The basis of the design was meant to be incorporated into a PC model game but due to lack of programming knowledge and other resources I have decided to complete the basis of the game in pencil and paper fashion, Ole School RPG style, while keeping the general tone simplified and adaptable to an electronic medium in the future.
    Ok, it has taken about 10 hours of on and off again work, and the Game systems is nearly fully functional from scratch. It is raw but useable now. Player character creation is simplified and sheets are done, make ups are done, races are done classes are non existent (all based on race) and a fully working character can be generated in 6 to 8 minutes, less if you have done it a few times.
    Just filling in minor details for the fleshing out, like completing spell list and melee weapon charts, and mob data.
    1st starter adventure plug in is done and that pretty much takes the game to the testers table – now I need time and testers.
    All the fancy Smanchy details, the glitz and glam will be sewn in from here on out, like the advanced world enviroment, more creatures and mobs, cultures, and varying storylines, and other things a tester may think of that I have overlooked.
    I will be posting relative info about it soon PC creation, sheets the raw basics enuff to get the juices flowing and a tester or two to try it. Its in the rough but should be playable. Simplicity is the key.
    Freedom, is only survival in this decaying wasteland we call life.
    Peace, a lost realm of the forgotten.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not bad

I've never really been a big fan of the modern excursion to fantasy genre games, as they're often poorly done. This seems well thought out, though, and crazy people are always fun. Makes me think of Narnia meets the Hobbit. If I had more time I'd be interested in playing, but it's unfortunate, I don't even have as much time for my own game as I'd like. I'll be keeping my eye on this, best of luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the Combat line, how to read it and how to resolve combat in the game system.

Fantasia uses a very simplified combat line and combat round in the hopes to streamline combat w/o removing the vast majority of the fun that runs along side of it. I will explain a bit.

There are 3 types of to hit values. Ranged, Magic and Melee. Each one is assigned a standard base % with the race/class chosen. From there a player can improve them over time as they choose.

For the way of AC (Armor class) there really is none. You either hit or miss. The Defensive value (D) represents a number that you are able to withstand, absorb, deflect etc per round.

Example if I have a 40% to hit Melee and I hit you for an attack value of 3 and you have a defense of 2 then you take 1 damage. This works if that is the ONLY damage you receive that round. The other 2 points were due to a not so perfect hit, weapon did not fully pierce the armor, character moved slightly and the hit was not complete etc. Whatever you want to say happened. There are modifiers for obvious cover, concealment, darkness, blindness etc.

Now what I said before about taking damage in a round. Let’s assume you are well geared have a few levels and have a Defense of 12. Pretty good. You are facing 40 creatures that only have a Attack of 1.You decide to stand and fight, um ok your choice….. You think hey no prob they can’t even hurt me. WRONG.

Example – you have 40 Life they have Attack(A1) and one action per round and you have a defense (D12). Only 22 hit you that round EACH for A1 damage. Ok so you have a Defense of 12 good for you, now u take 10 damage that round and are at 30 Life. Oh by the way you only managed to kill 2 that last round……..Good luck.
    In this case it is an easy way for figuring outnumbering odds and overpowering. Sure you have a good defense, but you can only reliably defend against so many in a round. Eventually hits land and those are the ones that hurt.

Initiative is even easier. It is based on your raw movement (MVT) value. The higher the value the better chance you have to go first in a round. MVT also eventually affects your number of actions per round (10 MVT = +1 action per round) but that is for another discussion.

Below are combat line and combat examples - no that is not the character sheet.

So a simplified combat line for say your PC would read:
    D 12 A 6 MVT 9 L 40
    This tells me that you have a total Defense of 12, and attack value of 6 and initiative base of 9 and 1 actions per round (10 giving you a +1 actions) and a life of 40.

A more advanced line may look like:
    D 12 (7 Nat, 3 Armor, 2 Shield) A 6 (2 Nat, 4 sword) MVT 9 L 40 HFMelee:40% HFMagic:20% HFRanged: 30%
    We still have all the normal info but we have broken it down a little more to include the natural defense and attack and also the armor, shield and weapon used. We have also included the relative base Hit Factors for the 3 hit types for that character.

A creature Combat line may read:
    D 3 A5 Mvt 6 L 16 XP:24 (1/2 damage from slash wep.) Bone Class.
    What does this tell us at a glance? A defense of 3, attack of 5, initiative base of 6, 1 action per round and a life of 16, and experience worth 24 points. It goes on to tell us the special attribute of ½ damage from slashing weapons and that it is a bone (skeleton) class creature.

Criticals? Nope there are none. What you say? There is an ongoing system built in that allows a possible crit type affect. I will explain.

When you roll a Melee hit, you roll a 1d100 and must roll your score or below to hit your target. Lets say HF40%. You have to roll a 40 or below.
    Depending on the class, and the type of attack (melee, magic, ranged) and in some cases the weapon used, an extra 1d10 will be rolled. This is called the BONUS Die.

/roll 1d100,1d10 = 35 , 3 etc.

The 35 is the to hit roll and the 3 is the possible bonus effect of the hit.

Each class of attack has its own special possibilities. It is more simple then it sounds.

Melee Bonuses: Slashing & piercing (Rend), Melee blunt (Impact), Melee any (Injury)
    Ranged Attacks can Roll the melee Bonus Die, and can score a Rend or an Injury.

Each have a 1 in 10 of happening. A blunt hit can not cause a Rend and a slash/Pierce can not cause a Impact, either can cause an Injury though.

REND
    An attack that damages also a target’s armor in some way reducing its effective defense by 1 point. This effect lasts until repaired. Usable with only piercing or slashing weapons. A Rend does not need to do damage to a target’s life to cause a Rend.

IMPACT
    An attack that rattles the target removing any combat concentration. Does not stun or incapacitate target. Also lowers Defense by 50% for the remainder of the round. (does not stack). Usable only with blunt weapon hits. Damage to a target’s Life does not have to be made, only the hit. (this effect may have to modified a bit in testing for better effect)

INJURY
    Any melee attack that hits can injure. These are non life threatening injuries but rather inconveniences that lead to a reduction if effective defense. Bruised ribs, broken fingers, torn muscle etc. 1 point of static defense is lost per injury until healed. An injury can not occur unless damage was done to the target. A defense that completely absorbs the hit with an injury bonus doe not injure. At least 1 point of damage to life must be done in order to cause an injury.

On the bonus Die for melee the #9 is Rend and Impact and #10 is Injury.

What about magic users? Nope have not left them out – Magic attacks spells and the such that can not be classified as Ranged or Melee uses the following Bonus Die set up.

CLEAR CAST
    The spell grounds itself in the mystic energies of the realm and draws its power directly from it rather than the well of the character costing the character no magic to cast it.

POWER CAST
    Is effective on non damaging spells, like Smog and Globules of Ick. Their duration and effectiveness is doubled. Magic cost is NOT increased.

MAGIC FLARE
    A power surge erupts through the caster infusing the spell with energy. The effective damage is 2x (round down), however, the magic cost is also increased with the damage increase as standard. (round down).
    Any casting that causes the Caster to reach -1 magic suffers *burnout.

I will explain Caster burnout and how casters use magic in another post. It is a little different. While it negates the memorization from D&D allowing a bit more spell freedom, it does push the caster to think and mange their spell use carefully. Again all that for another post.

So a Magic user’s Bonus Die would be #9 for Clear Cast and Power Cast and #10 for Magic Flare. The caster can choose if a 9 is rolled.

So one more time? Rolling a melee Slash hit with a HF melee of 40%?
    You roll 1d100 and a 1d10 (34, and a 9) what does that mean ?
    Correct! You hit the target and scored a Rend against their armor reducing their Armor Defense by 1 until repaired. See you are learning quick J

And YES a creature can use the bonus die as well as the PC. Brawn is not the only combat choice you have, in fact, if that is what you think, Ill sign you up right now for the Zombie ranks. They always need more brain dead peeps to fatten their ranks. J

A sample combat round or two:

Mog: Lv 0
    D 3 A 7 (3 Nat, 4 Sword) Mvt 3 L 30 HFMelee:45% (Sword Slash/P weapon)

A Scyther:
    D 3 A 5 Mvt 9 L 16 XP:65 HF Melee:30%

The Scyther has the first go with the higher init (MVT) and no surprise factor or other modifiers. For simplicity let’s take these two place them in a limbo and set them toe to toe.

(Round 1) Scyther rolls a
    60/10 A miss and no good on the possible injury it may have inflicted too.
    Mog: 36/4 A hit but just a hit doing A7 Versus the Scyther D3 and no other incoming damage this round. The Scyther takes 4 damage to Life. (16-4=12 Life)

(Round 2)
    Scyther (still high init) 22/10 A hit and possibly an injury if it can damage Mog through his defense.
    Mog takes 3 damage (Attack 5 – Defense 2 (-1 for the injury) = 3) and suffers 1 point of natural defense due to the injury. Mog’s new defense is 2 until he can be healed of his injuries.
    Mog attacks 68/2 A miss

(Round 3)
    Scyther 01/4 A hit with no bonus doing NOW 3 damage to Mog. Remember Mog has lost 1 defense due to that injury in the previous round. Mog’s life is now at 24.
    Mog retaliates 99/6 really not his day. Another miss

(Round 4)
    Scyther 13/7 another amazing hit but no bonus doing another 3 damage to Mog
    Mog 12/10 BANG A hit and an injury. Hacking thru that old flesh with zeal, the scyther loses 1 Defense any takes 5 damage. Scyther now down to 7 Life.

(Round 5)
    Scyther 15/8 A hit no bonus doing 3 points damage to Mog (Mog now at 18 Life)
    Mog 22/1 A hit no bonus Doing 5 point to the Scyther due to the reduced defense from the previous injury hit. The Scyther is now down to 2 Life.
    (Round 6)
    Scyther 81/6 Miss
    Mog 26/5 A hit no bonus doing another 5 points to the Scyther and killing it (2-5= below 0)
    Mog gains 65 XP and some loot, and needs to find some healing.

That is the basics of the combat for the test level of the game – the above example used simple weapon to hit, no reductions, no multiple opponents or actions per round. All of which are already part of the system but left out of this post for the ease of explaining the basics right now.
    Last edited by Dkomp; 03-26-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Healing in Fantasia –

The issue of healing is approached rather differently. It is usual, at least the games that I have played, that you gain “X” Life per times rested, per medical application received or by being the benefactor of some kind of healing magic brought on by someone or something else.

Nadda, diff heals here. Each PC has an ability called LR – Life Recovery. When you initially create your PC you are give creation points to divi among your starting attributes and several other factors. Each level you gain more points as many other games work.

The LR – Life Recovery is personal to each PC. It does not automatically activate every round. To gain life you will need an item, a spell or time rested to active your own personal LR value.

Healing Items –
    Bandages - simply activate your own LR for 3 rounds.
    Infused bandages – activate and add 3 to your LR for 3 rounds
    Relic bandages – activate and add 5 to your LR for 3 rounds and have a 30% chance to cure 1 disease per bandage used.

Healing magic?
    Sure there are healing spells, but in this tainted land heals are uncommon and valued rather high and protected.
    Healing magic activates your own LR and in many cases adds the casters Attack value to the LR gain.

Example –
    A caster with a magic attack of 7 Casts a Greater Heal spell on you. It takes effect instantly at the caster’s initiative. It activates your own LR, let’s say you have a LR 3. You are instantly healed for 10 Life. If the caster were to benefit from the Power cast you would receive more.

Items:
    Such as ring of the Gardens – LR +2 – this does not activate your LR it simply gives you a +2 when it is activated. Regenerative items are extremely rare, rumored only in legend to exist. These ultra rare items, active LR and maintains LR as “ON” while the ring or item is activated / worn/ used etc.

So you will not see a cleric type player running around throwing 3d6 heals. You are responsible for applying points to your own life recovery. The more you have chosen to place here the more you will benefit from healing magic used on you.

I will explain more of the Core attributes in a later post -
    Last edited by Dkomp; 03-23-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Massive spelling error that would have changed the context of the meaning

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fantasia Alignment

There is no preset alignment of your character that you choose at creation. Your play style is your play style. To represent the alignment purpose there are two values. Honor Points (HP) and Evil Points (EP). As you venture you are faced with decisions to make and deeds done. As you choose to play these values will build. Once they build they can not be reduced.

Let’s say you lie for selfish reasons, fail to help the little girl who is lost in the woods simply because you were too busy, stole for selfish gains, or made no serious effort to protect the life of an innocent in the middle of a battle, instead u just nuked the area so to speak – these are all examples of evil acts, and each one may give you 1 or more EP.

HP (Honor Points) works in the same way, but for the opposite actions, You did not lie and accept a bounty for something you did not do, you protected the odd man from the harassment of bullies instead of join them, you did not steal that gold coin that you just saw that man drop – you returned it etc. 1 or more HP will be awarded.

How does this play into the game?

Through the game a character may have to interact with people on a larger scale, be subject to aura detection, or depending on their HP/EP ratio be sought out by good or evil for tasks, trusted outright by reputation or known as a scoundrel.

A fairly balance number is about neutral, with obvious shifts for higher HP than EP and reverse.

In the beginning – character creation and other core attributes

All characters start at level 0, and are given 9 points to divide among 11 core and auxiliary attributes as they see fit.
    Following are the Core:
    Melee Attack Value (A) -------The base for all melee attacks
    Magic Attack Value (MA) -----The base for magic spells damage and effect
    Defense natural (D) ------------The natural defense
    Magic Well (MW) -------------The available magic that spells can be pulled from (mana pool)
    Life Recovery (LR) ------------The character’s Life recovery score
    Magic Recovery (MR) ---------The automatic magic recovery per round
    Movement (MVT) -------------The general speed of a character, initiative, and governs # actions / round
    Bonus Life (Life) ---------------Bonus Life (every 1 point equals 1d4 bonus life)

Auxiliary attributes:
    HF Melee
    HF Magic To hit factor for the attack type
    HF Ranged

Except as follows all points placed into Core attributes are 1 point used equals 1 point gained.
    MVT 2 points must be used to gain 1 MVT point
    1 Point placed into Life will add 1d4 Life to the player’s max life.

Auxiliary attributes:
    For every 1 point placed into an HF, the HF will be increased by 1%.

Ability Scores – AS / AA / AC
    AS – Ability Strength
    AC – Ability Cunning
    AA – Ability Agility

Each Race begins with a Xd10 value and gains 1 point to place into one of these every level. Each race has their own specialty where when this 1 point is applied will increase the ability by 2.
    The race of the “MOK” does not have a special ability score; rather they gain 2 ability points per level to place as they choose.

How the ability scores are used?

When a task would require cunning or agility, or a show of physical power that does not fit into combat, a roll against these scores are made. Some spells have a cunning requirement to be able to cast it.

At this time AS / AC / AA are planned to affect the core score in some way, combat or other means of the game but as of now the figurers are not in place for that. As play testing happens this will be added in a way that hopefully doe not off balance the system nor cause a combat round to turn into an insane number crunching conundrum.
    Last edited by Dkomp; 03-24-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Initial testing shows a problem with the above posted creation values and the over powering too quickly of a character by manipulating bonus stats and available numbers - The following fixes this issue:

At creation players will get 6 points not 9 to place into their attributes.
    Players will receive 4 per level not 6. Moks will receive 6 not 8.
    Movement (MVT) will be valued now at a 1 point per 1 MVT not 2 points per 1 MVT.

This patch combined with the relativity of the abilities of Strngth, Cunning, and Agility denoted by AS, AC, AA bring the character back into balance with the game and help prevent premature powering up and complex number issues for combat related play.

A complete character sheet, creation instructions and related tables and such will be supplied to playtesters. Some of this information will be posted on this topic as long as I can find a few ways around formating issues converting Xcel and tabled word Docs to the forums posting mechanic.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    There are four basic races to Fantasia. Each race has its own culture intertertwined and thus eliminates the need for "Class". Any race can become anything it wishes in relation to play style, however within the race you will obviously find stats that are suited to that culture some higher some lower, much akin to a class.

The general direction of the races:
    The Kori - Magic users / infusers
    The Ecklec - Raw melee combat
    The Mok - General no special attributes
    The Gelf - Ranged and speed

No the Gelf is not taken from Dark Crystal although some have seen the relation. 1) it was a Gelfling and 2) I was using a randomizer and liked the word - if it poses an ongoing issue Ill simply change the race name in the future.

A very brief description of the races follows:

Kori - Knobby bones short goblin looking creatures with long floppy ears and piercing blue or green eyes, they range from gaunt to pot bellied and their natural happy go lucky attitudes often lead them into trouble. Attuned naturally with world and the infusion of energies that flow through it, their keen understanding of the boundless possibilities gives them an easy handle on their arcane studies. Their often reckless pursuit of knowledge has led to the steady decline of their race, as the infusion slowly saps their life energy from them. Unless they take an active role to prevent it, their lifespan will be undeniably short.

Ecklec - A long haired beast man resembling that of part Bison part man, with a man's body and a bison head with a flatter appearance. Hunted to near extinction they have been reduced to scattered tribes nomadic traders. A once fierce opposition to the evil that now dominates the land, the Ecklec retain their warrior spirit and thrive on the traditions of their past. Brutal and strong, their traditions turn up their nose as a sign of weakness at the use of Magical aids, in the form of amulets, and rings in many cases any aid at all; all in the pursuit of pure melee combat. They will not wear metal armors as it is too restrictive, clanky or plain ugly. Although infusion is thought to be flawed and tainted as is the world around them, some have delved secretly into the arts, experimenting with the raw energies.

Mok - The Mok is as human as it gets, thought by many in ancient lore to be from the outlands, or not native to this world. The Mok have no innate abilities yet comprise the vast majority of the population. It is rumored that the spread of the taint that has taken the world was brought like a disease by the Mok very, very long ago. The Mok, while possessing no innate ability are laborers, inventors and crafters. Their ability to learn quickly has opened them up to many new trades. While they posses no innate abilities to the world, their foreign nature seem to draw the taint to them. As they grow they find it harder and harder to heal their wounds, eventually even succumbing to the taint, and possibly becoming one with it.

Gelf - The Gelf is a curious lot, they are rarely seen both due to their tactics and social nature. Once known as the keepers of the gardens these gaunt appearing even frail looking humanoids posses a keen understanding of the wilds and their ability to survive as long as they have in such an unforgiving land has proven it. Their emaciated looking structure is both elegant and deceiving, their muscle mass seems weak yet provides an incredible amount of force and reflex. The Taint robbed them of their lush forests and gardens, leaving only the tortured landscape in its wake. The Gelf have adapted very well, thriving on hit and run tactics, and in doing so have become very effective with ranged weaponry. Through the ages their connection with the land itself has faded as their wild dwellings of lush life withered leaving them unable to draw from it its healing energies, and further hampering their ability to infuse, scrambling their magic reducing their effective use. While their ability to willfully use the energy of the land has withered they have developed a strong will to survive and in doing so have turned the Taint into something pure within themselves. Their ability to recover life at an alarming rate, make these small creatures a force to be reckoned with. Keeping no universal traditions, moral codes or such, Gelfs can be found in a variety of arc types from highway robbery and assassins to hunters and peddlers.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Using magic in Fantasia.

Mana and casting in Fantasia is a rather simple system, but has some potentially dangerous outcomes if not properly maintained by the caster. In most games, you cast the spell if you have the mana simply if you don’t have the mana you can’t cast the spell. Fantasia works the same way but with a few twists.

Magic Well –
    This in effect is your mana pool. For every 1 point you place into your well you will gain 2 points of “mana”.

Magic Recovery – MR – this is the amount of magic that is recovered at the end of the round.

Casting a spell is the same type of action as attacking with a weapon. You simply declare your action and make the appropriate attack roll or bonus effect roll. That extra 1d10 value at the tail end of combat rolls.

However, the cost of you magic use is where I need to explain a little. The cost of the spell (for a combat orientated spell) is the damage output of the spell plus any base cost of the spell. Plainly put, if you have a Magic Attack value of 3 and cast a Impact Orb that costs 0 – your total mana cost is 3 and you do 3 potential damage.
    For a spell that costs 3 as a base value , your spell would cost 6 mana.
    For a spell that does 4 base damage and costs 0, your total mana cost would be 7, and your Magic Attack would be 7 for that spell.
    For non combat spells, the base cost is what you will use when figuring mana cost.

Ok so why is this so dangerous for casters? Isn’t it cast till your out of mana, regen the mana and do it all over again? Not really.

Remember the Bonus Die you roll when you make a combat attack? You also roll it when you cast any magic to check the bonus effect if there is one. Here is a quick review of those effects.

CLEAR CAST
    The spell grounds itself in the mystic energies of the realm and draws its power directly from it rather than the well of the character costing the character no magic to cast it.

POWER CAST
    Is effective on non damaging spells, like Smog and Globules of Ick. Their duration and effectiveness is doubled. Magic cost is NOT increased. No effect on direct damage spells.

MAGIC FLARE
    A power surge erupts through the caster infusing the spell with energy. The effective total cost of the spell is 2x (round down) as is the effect, duration and damage of the spell.(round down).
    Any casting that causes the Caster to reach -1 magic suffers burnout.

Ok that is the review – So again why is it dangerous to use magic with wild abandoned in Fantasia? BURNOUT!!!

Ok, what the hell is Burnout?
    This is what happens when a caster drops below 0 mana in their magic well. Casting a spell costing 7 when u only have 6 mana brings you to -1 mana. You are now in Burnout.

BURNOUT
    A caster can go below zero on their magic in a single spell cast or by drains or other effects on the character. Spells can not be cast when at or below 0. When a player goes negative, they suffer burnout. Their MR (Magic Recovery) fails to work properly for a bit. While negative they will only recover 1 Magic point per round (regardless of how much their MR is valued at) until their well reaches 0 where the MR will begin to work properly. Any points below 0 that the caster suffers from a spell they cast will result in 1 point of life damage per point below 0. Other effects can cause a caster to go into Burnout as well. Harmful spells cast on the caster, and Hexed (cursed) items.

i.e. – Hitting Magic flare unexpectedly, Gondel rejoices in making a killing blow on that Zombie but cringes as his Flare has sent him into BURNOUT. Being reduced to -7 Magic, Gondel is now in burnout for 7 rounds and takes 7 Life damage for being 7 points lower then the burnout threshold of 0.

You will only take the initial damage from burnout, not damage every round you are in burnout. You are considered to be in burnout with only a 1 MR for as many rounds as it takes you to get back to 0 mana.

Many mages have died as a result of Burnout. Using magic in this cursed land just isn’t as easy as knowing the incantations to harness the raw energies of the realm.
    Last edited by Dkomp; 03-26-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATED and EXPANDED Race / class options - as requested 8 now to choose from rather than 4.
    Here is the background on each of the 8. The stats config will be up when I fig out how to get around some auto formating issues on the forums.

Itril:
    The Itril are once scholars of the lands, proud and haughty, these people rules with persuasion, cunning and ruthless political intimidation. That was then. The Itril now are wandering sages, seeking knowledge, trying to maneuver in the political realms, doing whatever it takes to get ahead, to gain power over those around them. Itril will often work together on common tasks but will rarely pass up the chance to get a one up on their cohorts. Information is their weapon. Their conflict is Life. They do not believe in taking the life of a living creature of any kind for any reason. To slay a creature to save another is still killing a creature. They will not take direct action to the harm of the creature. In this they are limited to non combat and non necromantic spells. They see no issue with sending the Tainted to a level of undeath deeper than that which exists in the realms now and strive to rid the Taint when possible, as long as it serves their higher purpose of power ascension. Many times what may be seen as an honorable act (providing a few HP may also bring 1 to 2 EP for their true motives)

Tall and gaunt, pale skinned, blue or green eyes and blond. Itril not filling these physical traits are seen as impure and not capable of attaining true power. They are treated as inferior by other Itril. While they may have considerable power, they are never seen as equals. In many cases they are betrayed by their Itril purists and expelled from a community as unworthy, or tainted, impure. This is often just another power play by another Itril, a very common one. The most common Itril found wandering the lands is that of the "impure".

While they will heal a fellow in combat, they may exact some sort of price or bargain for his services. Always looking to gain, the Itril are a frustrating race, clever and dangerous.
    Special: will not harm willingly a living creature / can not cast combat spells / Self gains that are not ruthless ill not earn the Itril EP.

Orynu:
    The Orynu-acka is what remains of an ancient race. Their culture was slowly snuffed out as the taint spread. Many fell, many more became enthralled by the lures of the Taint and were taken by it. These Orynu Live in undeath delivering the taint's dark wish upon the land. It is the Orynu, the few that have broken their ties to the Taint, or have had them broken, and now exists free from its bindings. This freedom comes though with a steep price. Their undeath lingers, and is a cause for great concern and mistrust even hate among the native peoples of the land. They have been virtually expelled from the hand of the Taint, no longer the living no longer a Orynu-acka, they strive to right the wrongs they have and the taint has laid against the lands, desperately seeking to regain and restore the honor of the Orynu-acka.
    Special - Cannibalize activates LR / Healing magic harms them (does damage) / Immune to Disease, infection, poison / Hated starts with 3d100+10 EP and only 3d10 HP / Does not suffer Burnout damage from spell casting / Is Hated causing many to die swiftly by the sword on sight / Not affected by sacred places and symbols due to no longer being a part of the Taint.

Phet:
    The Phet are a distant cousin of what remains of the fairy folk. The Phet are all that remains, having survived through the changing world as it descended into darkness. The Phet are tiny creatures, standing not even 3 feet tall. Although their small size may be very deceiving in a scrap, these small folk have a keen understanding of the energies that comprise the realms. A Laid back bunch, often sleeping the day away and venturing through the darkness, they are beguiled by shinny objects, gems, and any infused items. While they may not be thieves altogether, many practice thievery as a means to satisfy their lust of material objects. They quickly tire of their gains and move on to a new pretty shinny thing.
    The Phet and the Kori share a close bond, and can often be found immersed in study or great debate over some infusion. While the Kori have a larger capacity for their magic, the Phet are very adept at using that knowledge. Possessing a greater potential damage threshold and a faster recovery then their Kori Brethren they can be dangerous opponents. Their Nature and size, while leading them deep into the study of infusion, robs them of their physical abilities in some manner. A lower strength, and the inability to effectively use melee attack as time goes on, causes the Phet to survive on their magic alone. This degradation of their physical attributes combined with their lust of "things" leads to many a Phet's early demise.
    Special: Does not roll a bonus die for melee attacks, can not Rend, Impact or Injure unless fighting a creature their size or smaller.

Euske:
    Short and stout, these men resemble the far distant traits of a wild boar. Mostly looking like a Small Mok, their faces are wider, and their bottom jaw is slightly more forward, where 2 boney tusks grow upwards across their upper lip. Aged Euske, Elders can be found deep in the heart of their cities, their tusks are long, and often bear many marks of years of combat and adventuring. Deep Dark eyes, and short Course reddish or dark brown and black hair covers their bodies.

The Euske culture spreads far and wide across the realms. They are almost as common as the Mok. Their population tends to stay near the wilds, forests, and hilly terrain, some are even found in arctic areas. Their cities are for the most part beneath the ground, but many smaller villages remain above ground. Euske are fiercely territorial. Their clans are constantly at war with one another over things ranging from land claims to petty boundary disputes. Their constant warring cultures have bred these small men into fierce warriors. Fiercely protective of family and land these warriors have the gift of war. Their use of magic is limited, forgotten to the pages of their past. Their throaty speech and bad tempers lead them away from the ability and the patience of casting magic. Their reliance is on raw melee and the thrill of the kill.
    Special: No spell casting or using magic items requiring more than 1 round to use or verbal components.

Kori - Knobby bones short goblin looking creatures with long floppy ears and piercing blue or green eyes, they range from gaunt to pot bellied and their natural happy go lucky attitudes often lead them into trouble. Attuned naturally with world and the infusion of energies that flow through it, their keen understanding of the boundless possibilities gives them and easy handle on the arcane studies. Their often reckless pursuit of knowledge has led to the steady decline of their race, as the infusion slowly saps their life energy from them. Unless they take an active role to prevent it, their lifespan will be undeniably short.
    Special: Gains 2 spells per level / can only use small or medium weapons

Ecklec - A long haired beast man resembling that of part Bison part man, with a man's body and a bison head with a flatter appearance. Hunted to near extinction they have been reduced to scattered tribes nomadic traders. A once fierce opposition to the evil that now dominates the land, the Ecklec retain their warrior spirit and thrive on the traditions of their past. Brutal and strong, their traditions turn up their nose as a sign of weakness at the use of Magical aids, in the form of amulets, and rings in many cases any aid at all; all in the pursuit of pure strength combat. They will not wear metal armors as it is too restrictive, clunky or plain ugly. Although infusion is thought to be flawed and tainted as is the world around them, some have delved secretly into the arts, experimenting with raw energies.
    Special: Can not wear metal armors, magic rings, medallions or amulets / gains 1 spell every 2 levels

Mok - The Mok is as human as it gets, thought by many in ancient lore to be from the outlands, or not native to this world. The Mok have no innate abilities yet comprise the vast majority of the population. It is rumored that the spread of the taint that has taken the world was brought like a disease by the Mok very, very long ago. The Mok, while possessing no innate ability are laborers, inventors and crafters. Their ability to learn quickly has opened them up to many new trades. While they posses no innate ability to the world, their foreign nature seems to draw the taint to them. As they grow they find it harder and harder to heal their wounds, eventually succumbing to the taint, and becoming one with it.
    Special: Able to learn 2 craft (professions) one at level 5 the other at level 7.

Gelf - The Gelf is a curious lot, they are rarely seen both due to their tactics and social nature. Once known as the keepers of the gardens these gaunt appearing even frail looking humanoids posses a keen understanding of the wilds and their ability to survive as long as they have in such an unforgiving land has proven it. Their emaciated looking structure is both elegant and deceiving, their muscle mass seems weak yet provides an incredible amount of force and reflex. The Taint robbed them of their lush forests and gardens, leaving only the tortured landscape in its wake. The Gelf have adapted very well, thriving on hit and run tactics, and in doing so have become very effective with ranged weaponry. Through the ages their connection with the land itself has faded as their wild dwellings of lush life withered leaving them unable to draw from it its healing energies, and further hampering their ability to infuse, scrambling their magic reducing their effective use. While their ability to willfully use the energy of the land has withered they have developed a strong will to survive and in doing so have turned the Taint into something pure within themselves. Their ability to recover life at an alarming rate, make these small creatures a force to be reckoned with. Keeping no universal traditions, moral codes or such, Gelfs can be found in a variety of arc types from highway robbery and assassins to hunters and peddlers.
    Special: All spell damage is at 1/2 damage (round down) or 1/2 effect for non combat spell use / Can not cast healing magic / no penalty when using ranged weapon on uneven, unsteady, or slightly moving ground (ships rock on the seas.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Roll testing

* HF melee *

* Melee Di *

Testing

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-13-2009 12:53 AM
    HF melee: 1d100 (81)
    Melee Di: 1d10 (10)