Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Ask a GM [03/16/09]: GM Aids

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've started using DMs tools quite alot. I used to be pen and paper put it took an age to create an encounter. I've recently created an on-line monster generator for d&d 3.5 you may be interested in http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/Mo...nerator/dnd35/ I've been working on it for a few months now teaching myself php in the process. It allows addition of NPC levels to monsters upto 2 classes and you can change the monster stats and print the monster in monster manual format. The skills are automatically assigned depending on a class focus selected e.g. thief - acrobat.
    I've also created a treasure generator.
    http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/Mo...ddgettreas.php
    (It's all free )
    paul(at)dinglesgames.com
    Last edited by dingle; 03-31-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Hey everyone, i realize that there are name generators for all the races, but is there a generator for wizard/sorcerer names? If there is, please list the link, thanks.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using the Harrow deck for pathfinder in my non-pathfinder/D20 game. It great and can even help create last moment elements to the game.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll say that ANYTHING that makes your job easier you should use. Books, movies, etc stimulate ideas and allow you to have a bank of ideas for reference when you need to wing-it, and to think up cool plot arcs for planning around when you can plan it. I find character generators for NPC's very handy if you can get them - random personality facets can greatly add to the flavor you give NPCs and the experience over all, thats one of the things i like to use the most. I also prefer to use miniatures for positioning, it REALLY cuts down on the confusion in groups that like combat, or prefer more realism in the combat they get.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    I have a friend that uses his iphone for all his dice rolling. Pretty cool little program with visual choices of all the different-sided dice, including the sound of them rolling on a table when selected. Very cool, indeed.
    I have that App on my iPod touch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I must admit that I have become so addicted to my electronic aids; I loathe to even consider playing without them. Point in case, I forgot to bring the power cable for my laptop last game, so I borrowed my hosts laptop so that I wouldn't be without my favorite tools. Perhaps that is a byproduct of playing a fairly complicated game such as D&D and not something easier to adjudicate like the Story Teller system. Add to that the fact that I prefer to keep track of everyone's current health status, passive perception rolls, etc. Whatever the case, I haven't run a D&D game without a laptop at my disposal in over five years.

As to what I use at the game table? I have never really tried anything such as DM Secretary or the DM's Familiar that Grimwell touted. But, I have created an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of player and monster hitpoints alike, experience, names, places, dates and other such. For map generation, I tend to use the Aurora Toolset from Neverwinter Nights to build my maps and then screenshot a top down view. And, yes, I do use a dice roller. I've found it really speeds things up, since the dice roller I wrote for my own use keeps track of my most recent rolls. That allows me to quickly return to a previous dice combination and roll it again when switching back and forth between attackers, for instance. I even programmed it to play the sound of dice rolling in different quantities based on what I rolled so that my players still have that audible feedback that so subtly conveys just how JACKED they might really be.

The one thing that I am completely unwilling to digitize from my gaming experience is my books. I want to have a book in hand. PDFs actually end up being slower for me to search and I don't really care for reading my gaming manuals from the computer screen. Besides, it's so much fun to open the Monster Manual to a random page and just throw whatever it is you flipped to at your group...

J/K.
    Um, any chance you'd be willing to share the dice roller you made? Please?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've created a few NPCs using Dingle's generator. It is quite convenient.

Downloads
    Uploads
    GM aids are more useful than I think many realize. Some might say they are lazy ways of doing an adventure. Not so

If you start with a random event and let the players steer your while you put your own stank on it

One random event I rolled was a simple encounter with cultists
    I had them seen in an alley by the players vivisecting a woman
    The players got out and hunted the parties down
    This lead to finding the rest of the cult members
    Parents of one of the characters being kidnapped
    The same character fidning that their parents were involved in a conspiracy
    An altercation with the groups lawyers
    Lots of investigation
    A bunch of cultish suicides
    the uncovering of a 50 year sacrificial pact based on the false manipulations of a new villain
    lots of RPing
    the introduction of 3 or 4 new storylines
    and who knows what else is to come

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. That's the way I like to play it. A mystery to solve, and multible story lines to chose from. Lets the players develope their own interests.
    Thats pretty much why, when I can get them, I ask 'Champions' players to create their own arch-villian for their characters. And others may end up facing off with them instead.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a very basic set of "GM aids". Typically its a notepad, paper, and maybe, if I'm feeling spunky, a writeup of the plot. Most games are fluid and off the top of my head, but then I run a liter rules system than D&D 3.x. I do use a book of names fairly regularly.

I generate NPCs in two minutes so I rarely have to spend hours making characters.

The one tool I wish I could find is a random encounter generator. All I want is the ability to search based on climate and terrain to get a list of possible encounters. But I don't want to be limited to monsters! I want to be able to add things like a traveling caravan, traders, villagers, etc. It would be nice to have a starting mood too - guarded, jovial, welcoming, hostile, etc.

Looks like I'll have to make that one though
    Randal Snyder
    Sundered Epoch.org

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the need to prepare a project on Aids?We have been asked to prepare a "project on Aids",and I just want to know what is need to prepare the project?Is it to make people aware of its dangers or something else?
    Last edited by soniyali; 09-29-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Utilities programs can be a great boon for complicated worlds. It can also save you a lot of prep time. I used to hand draw and write out my game sessions talk about a cramp. Not to mention that the small amount of concentration needed to write compared to typing can derail a really creative thought at times. Now with the advent of smart phones and Palms you can get creative anyplace and download it to your PC or station. Oh and the organization is such a plus. I use DMjinni which is no longer supported by the code demon that wrote it since the outing of 4e. But the system used in 4e wrecks a few of my back stories so I have stuck to 3.5. But I would love to hear more about the differing choices all of you have made.

Oh and panel you can ignore my question earlier about this very topic. Just took a little digging to find.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only real GM tool I use is actually for both players and GMs. I use Hero Designer and it's a very robust character creation program.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just use name generators for my campaign. Sometimes I allow players to add their own names to islands and such.

What I tend to do is watch a lot of movies. If you like a particular idea then run with it. I have a bard in my group and I was watching some old martial arts movie next to a waterfall. The sound of the water was so overwhelming, no one could talk. I added that to my campaign as a barrier which was rather interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently I have been using the D&D Compendium from the wizards DnD insider Tool Box for 4th Edition. It is rather impressive as just about everything is search-able right there in from my comps browser. If I need a monster I fill in the requirements such as level and type (soldier, elite, artillery) and search through a list of every monster from every product for 4th edition that meets my requirements. It has saved me a lot of time and even helped my add some flair to my games. The only downside is the month subscription fee but the constantly updating character generator is I have ever used so it is worth it to me.
    Last edited by SirSlither; 07-16-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12