Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a Play by Post Forum

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Requesting a Play by Post Forum

In the past, whenever someone has wanted to have a new play-by-post game forum created, it has been very much a manual process that requires members to send an admin (me) an email and then I have to go create the forum by hand. No more. We now have a new automated method, so if you're interested in creating a play-by-post forum, read on.

Step 1
    . Create a new social group with the name of the play-by-post campaign and be sure to put it in the Play by Post category. This will be the name that shows up in the forums, so set it according to what you want to be shown there. In your social group, be sure to write up a brief description of your game, so that people who may be interested in playing can get the gist of your game from the group description. Key things to put in would be the system used, and a very brief description of where and when the game is set.

Step 2. If you are not a Community Supporter, your next step will be to send me a PM with the name of the group you just created and a request to have a play-by-post forum added. I will then create a new forum for you -- trust me, this is a much easier and quick process for me than it was before.

If, however, you do have a Community Supporter account, you can create your own forum automatically by going into your new group page. At the bottom of the page, in the group navigation bar, you will see an option for "Create Forum". Click that link and your forum will be created and added to the Play-by-Post area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Create_Forum_LInk.PNG 
Views:	298 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	199

Notes: Unfortunately, you cannot use the "Discussions" feature of social groups at the moment for you play-by-post. Or, at least, you can't use the integrated dice roller with Discussions, so you probably will want a forum. You can also set your group up so that you must be a member to read the play-by-post. You can do this by setting your group options to be moderated or invite-only.

I will be converting existing play-by-post forums over to the social group method eventually. If you are a current play-by-post GM and want your group moved sooner rather than later so that you can take advantage of the other social group features, send me a PM and I will try to move your group over as soon as possible.

Enjoy! If you have questions about the new process, feel free to send me a private message.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, good to know. Thanks for the update.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    One querry. How do I become a community supporter when I do no money trans on line. Just my little quirk, don't like putting info out there to be hacked. I have a bussiness account at one bank and a personal account at another and phiscally transfer money between the two, that's how quirky I get.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm.. I dunno. I suppose we could do manual subscriptions. PayPal also supports check transactions, I believe. What would be the optimal solution for you?
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    One querry. How do I become a community supporter when I do no money trans on line. Just my little quirk, don't like putting info out there to be hacked. I have a bussiness account at one bank and a personal account at another and phiscally transfer money between the two, that's how quirky I get.
    You should look into the paypal thing. But there is no way around using an account or card number online, even with paypal. They (paypal) are going to want a this information too. But at least with Paypal you only have that information in on place and they shouldn't give the information to third parties. They also charge fees on transactions just like a bank too.

The only way I can think to get around using your account or card number online is to find someone you can send money to and then have them pay online for you.

I only charge a nominal fee for such things, say...... 4,000,000%
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    The only way I can think to get around using your account or card number online is to find someone you can send money to and then have them pay online for you.
    I think that was in part the idea behind PayPal. All of the community subscriptions go through PayPal, so P&PG never sees or knows anything about your credit card information. So, all you have to judge is whether you trust PayPal.

But, I know there has been at least one member in the past who has paid via check through PayPal. I don't know if that required them to create an account with PayPal or not, but it is worth checking out. If it doesn't, then that would allow you pay by check and keep the entire monetary portion of the transaction offline.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was something called BIDPAY a few years back that i was a member of. Basically, they would confirm a money order was sent. Just another possibility.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose I could/should, at least, open a PayPal account ...
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Downloads
    Uploads
    My son uses a paypal account to pay some of his out of state bills, child support and such. He tells me he takes cash to a check cashing place that does money orders and such. That sounds like paypal doesn't really need a card number. I think I'll investigate that.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you can pay with an e-check or whatever they call it. I merely meant that if you want to start a permanent paypal account they will want that information for verification purposes.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    HA! Now, that does make a difference, doesn't it. I am an illuminated fellow, even the IRS doesnt have my e-mail, much less my bank number. I still get my refund check by snail mail. Still, I will check them out and discover what ever I may.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    did it ever work out, spotlight?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not yet. Have been way to busy to go check out any of the 'stores.' Got do that soon, where's my schedual? Digs thru purse, looking for a Black Book.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Farcaster --

Do your individual PbP forums support subforums within them?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not at this time no.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast