Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragonlance Dead?

Downloads
    Uploads

Dragonlance Dead?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Is the Dragonlnce setting dead? I was just on the WotC site and they don't have it under the settings section. Maybe i am just a noob

Downloads
    Uploads
    WoTC half assed that setting when they released 3.5, putting out the DLCS and then dumping the line onto a third party publisher, Soverign Press. Margret Weis still publishes those books in limited release but I don't think anything new has come out in a while.

There are the occasional paper back books as well, but really the setting has died off at a slow drip since about 2001.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they would release it under a better system if not for WoTC.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I'm in love with the Dragonlance Setting, my favorite of all time. I agree not much was published for it, so perhaps it's not looked at as much as a setting as Forgotten Realms or Eberron, but believe me when I say it's the campaign setting that's had the biggest impact on my gaming career.

I prefer hybrid games that take elements from them all, to maximize player creative options, but if I had to choose a setting to play in, it would be dragonlance every time.
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    I think they would release it under a better system if not for WoTC.
    Hmmm, based on other experiences, I don't think WoTC will allow Dragonlace to be released on anything different than the Core 4thEd Rules.

When White Wolf did Ravenloft it was a D20 System.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope its dead. DragonLance sucked.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Dragonlance setting, upidstay. Myself, I enjoyed the setting. Both as a campaign setting and for reading the various novels. As I locate them, I have been obtaining some of the novels that I don't currently have. It was actually the second campaign that I gamed in. Because it was an interesting story line, I believe that it is what helped to hook me on playing D&D.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, my sources say its "in the pipe"
    pre Hasbro WOTC licenced out their settings to Sovereign Press & White Wolf.

Hasbro wanted to take the ummm opportunity to bring them all back in house with 4e. It would appear that Dark Sun is the first one to get some treatment on D&D Insider. If it does well the plan is to release a 3 book set for Dark Sun. My understanding is that all the old worlds will get a similar chance and becoming a 3 book set. I believe Spelljammer is next in the pipe but Dragonlance and Ravenloft fans are just going to have to wait for their turn.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
    I hope its dead. DragonLance sucked.
    One side, I wholeheartedly agree with you, and yet on the other I disagree incredibly so. The novels and stories were lack of better words - trash that my daughter enjoyed reading - when she ten. However, the setting was rich in the changes that it was a great change from Greyhawk. Not that I dislike Greyhawk but it was nice to have variety.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard there were some interviews in which it wasn't outright said that Dragonlance was in the works, but very strongly implied.

Official word is that Dragonlance is a fan-supported effort.

My guess is that Dragonlance will be published for 4e if worldbooks keep selling until it's their year.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I played with the setting a couple of times years ago and remember it to be quite enjoyable. In fact, i still remember being caught while sneaking up on a dragon and being held in its claw. Long story short, me got squoosh'ded. Well, Dragonlance, as with other favorite settings will forever remain alive with its diehard fans. Heck, when i run campaigns i still use the old Greyhawk setting. Dragonlance will never truly die.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is Dragonlance dead?

As a writing property? Absolutely not. There are going to be at least six DL releases this year (two of which are already out). And I'm told that DL's backlist remains consistently good sellers.

As an RPG property? Eh...not quite dead. But its barely breathing. With the license pulled back from Margret Weis, we will perhaps eventually maybe see three whole Dragonlance books. And then nothing else for 4th edition. Since 4th edition is supposed to have a life cycle of five to ten years that means ... no more Dragonlance after that for years to come if ever.

You may see some Dungeon and Dragon articles supporting those three books as well. I wouldn't hope for too much more.

And I'm not a hundred percent that we are going to see ANY 4th ed. release. There are lots of worlds to go through. Forgotten Realms and Eberron are already out or announced. After that ... Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Oriental Adventures, a new original setting ... these are all potential rivals for the one-setting-a-year slot. My advice -- if you love Dragonlance and want to increase the probability books get released -- buy the novels. Strong novel sales will encourage them to get to Dragonlance faster.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But who is writing these DL books?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good question. I'm curious too.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can go here and see all the 2009 D&D products announced so far including Dragonlance novels.

It looks like a lot of the usual suspects behind WotC's novels: Doug Niles, Jean Rabe, and so forth. Margaret Weis herself wrote one last year, if I recall.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast