Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
City of Heroes - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City of Heroes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatoth View Post
    I like RPGs over MMOs because for the most part, RPGs never devolve into mindless xp grind and the game world actually has a pulse of it's own.

<blinks> An expansion for CoX finally? Really? I gotta see this! I bet they are getting nervous with Champions Online around the proverbial corner.
    DC Universe Online might be giving them a little concern as well.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    i tried the new adventure creator on coh in the test server. it looks good. not quite so complicated as i was afraid it might be. still a bit glitchy and of course no substitute for live RPGs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    COH vet here and I tend to disagree with a few of the points that have been laid out.

The game is what you make it. If you are into mission grinding, you can do that but since I'm an RPer, I use missions as well as binds and macros to add to the flavor to my experience which makes my experience much more enjoyable.

Also, with the Architect mission creator, the possibilities are endless in making different adventures that can cater to a specific group of heroes. With the advent of inventions origin enhancements and the new customizable powers, sky's the limit on this game.

That being said, as good as the game is, it just doesn't cut it when it comes to the face to face social interaction. The spontaneity that can happen in a campaign is just not possible in an MMO. If the characters in a P&P game want to hitch a flight to the Ozarks to visit a scientist, they can do that. In MMOs, you're stuck in that world.

Of course, you can do far more with your character in a P&P than you can in a MMO. More customizable and there's no cap limit to levels. You play as long as you want because of the character, not just because of what they can do.

If I had to choose one, it would be P&P. Hands down. But MMOs are a nice departure when wanted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been a while but i'm ready to add more to this discussion based on my own recent xp.
    Champions online sucks the life out of me because the camera angles keep changing randomly altering the direction of your movement and making long distance travel a ROYAL PAIN. the enhancements are rediculously complex and the overwhelming majority of them are useless because you can't use very many. I was also disapointed when right after the tutorial i was kicked out of the city and exiled to a desert or a frozen wasteland.

The custom adventure creator in city of heroes is pretty good but i was really disapointed to learn that it was a virtual world within a virtual world. i think it would have been much more effective as a step outside the game tool so the player can make content that is real to his character. now we have a bunch of superheroes who don't have time to fight crime or save the city because they're too buisy playing games at achitect entertainment.

one more thing i like about pen and paper games is that in an online game your complaints might go unnoticed or ignored for a really long time (like the ticket i posted on champions about the camera angle a week ago) but GMs are much quicker to fix things that aren't right.
    also i'm sick of game content that just doesn't make sense, like super agressive street thugs who attack superheroes on site even when the hero is just trying to go down the street to his next mission, or levels being used to toughen up oponents that shouldn't be tough: after fighting off an alien invasion and battleing a desert full of mutants or a mystic deity, why am i so likely to get my butt kicked by a few muggers ?!!!!

also check out my seperate threads about how RPGs are different from comics and how superhero games are different from other games.
    Last edited by LAST CRUSADER; 02-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I play COH but I can't play it anymore because I don't how pay for it anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As the late great Dave Arneson once put it, the difference between a computer RPG and a PnP campaign is the difference between vegging out in front of your TV and going out to see a live show.

MMOs are in my opinion like particularly bad, formulaic and repetetive sitcoms on that scale.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PnP games beat COH and other MMO's because...

As a GM, I can react to the choices of my player as they happen - meaning the players choices have an immediate and direct impact on the direction of the story.

Also, at least as far as the PnP games I run, player's are not locked into a tightly defined and specific 'mission'. My games are very fluid, something, in my COH experience (no longer play due to rinse and repeatness), that is completely lacking for MMOs.

Admittedly, I have found MMOs to be an interesting diversion from time to time, similar to playing a video game...it's nice for a time, but ultimately just won't hold my attention for long.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dytrrnikl View Post
    PnP games beat COH and other MMO's because...

As a GM, I can react to the choices of my player as they happen - meaning the players choices have an immediate and direct impact on the direction of the story.

Also, at least as far as the PnP games I run, player's are not locked into a tightly defined and specific 'mission'. My games are very fluid, something, in my COH experience (no longer play due to rinse and repeatness), that is completely lacking for MMOs.

Admittedly, I have found MMOs to be an interesting diversion from time to time, similar to playing a video game...it's nice for a time, but ultimately just won't hold my attention for long.
    You should go back and give CoH a try again. They added in a mission editor system so it's possible to create your own storyline now. With a group of friends and some effort, you can now have a campaign of your own that makes it more unique.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BayGuardian View Post
    You should go back and give CoH a try again. They added in a mission editor system so it's possible to create your own storyline now. With a group of friends and some effort, you can now have a campaign of your own that makes it more unique.
    I've heard about this from some friends of mine that still play CoH. While intriguing and definately full of potential, can you...as the Storyline author, make adjustments on the fly, as the scenario is being played, based upon the actions and decisions of the players? Or do you have to wait to make such adjustments for those times when the scenario is not being played?

My experience running games, has been that no matter how much one plans or attempts to anticipate the actions and choices of the group, the players will inevitably pick the one choice or action that was not forseen. Table top games allow the GM to react to the 'unforseen' seemlessly in game, while playing.

I'll have to ask my friends that still play what their assessment of the mission editor is, compared to running a game on the fly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's my understanding you can't adjust on the fly. If you've been playing through CoH for a long time, you kind of have a good idea for what is level-range appropriate, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gave CoH about two years of me life and loved it!!!!! I was in a great RP based SG and we created stories within the framework of the game... but it required a lot of brain stretching!

That being said, the interpersonal interaction of a face to face group cant be beat. I also love the idea of creating stories that develop characters and relationships over a long period tat you simply cant within a MMO.

Online live superhero games can also be quite rewarding. I ran a game of MnM over maptools that was a great deal of fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12