Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid races

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hybrid races

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Prompted from another thread that dipped into potentially distasteful origins, I wondered what halfbreeds were out there for us to enjoy.

These were the most obvious to me:
    Half-orc (human & orc)
    Half-elf (human & elf)
    Half-ogre (human & ogre)
    Half-mer (human & merfolk)
    Half-dragon (human & dragon)
    Half-illithid (human & illithid)
    Half-gnoll (human & gnoll)

What can you add to this list?

This answers the fantasy question: Can a human fall in love with just about anything? (The answer is yes. It's fantasy.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Planar types:

Half-fiend
    Half-celestial
    Feyri (drow/fiend) - not really half-
    Tanarukk (orc/fiend) - ditto-
    Genasi (human/elemental) - also ditto-

I also thought that half-ogres were orc/ogre typically-
    Last edited by Valdar; 02-22-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your list prompts an interesting question. Why are all (or mostly all) half-breeds, 1/2 human. If humans can interbreed with Orcs and Elves, why have there never been any 1/2 Orc/Elven races, and so on.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh.. interesting thought. Recently I read something that intimated that not all half-elves were half-human. The same could be said for half-orcs. As for other half-breed types, I have seen players request to play some really odd things. Like half-kobold, what's up with that?
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So what would you call a Elf/Orc hybrid? An Erc maybe? What about a Dwarf/Orc hybrid? How about a Dorc? Elf/Dwarf = Erf or Dwelf?

A deadly encounter with a Hillbillithid, "why can hear banjo music as you devour my brain?"
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    So I did some searching online and found the following

Muls are the mixed-breed offspring of humans and dwarves in the Dark Sun campaign setting. The term mul is derived from "mule" which are sterile hybrids, and as such the word is meant to be pronounced in the same manner (rhyming with "rule" rather than "dull").

Women who give birth to muls tend to be human and die in childbirth. Muls are bred for gladiatorial combat and slave labor. Athasian muls are hairless, about 6 feet tall, retain the agility of their human parent while manifesting the strength and industrious mindset of their dwarven parent.

The stamina of a mul is legendary; muls can literally work or march for days nonstop.

The term "mul" has been unofficially adopted into other campaign settings for rare human-dwarf crossbreeds.

and

An orog is a crossbreed between a male orc and a female ogre. Orogs usually live among orcs; they are stronger, more intelligent, and more highly disciplined than typical orcs.

Variants on the orog include the neo-orog and the ogrillion. The neo-orog is a specific orc-ogre crossbreed created by the Red Wizards of Thay to be used as elite soldiers. The ogrillion is the brutish, armor-skinned offspring of a female orc and a male ogre.
    Last edited by kirksmithicus; 02-22-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    Ahh.. interesting thought. Recently I read something that intimated that not all half-elves were half-human. The same could be said for half-orcs. As for other half-breed types, I have seen players request to play some really odd things. Like half-kobold, what's up with that?

Some of us(ok maybe just me) love to be the most bizzare PC we can. I almost never play a race from the PHB(unless forced). I enjoy the challange of trying to play something far different than myself. In DND 2E I when crazy when the humaniods book came out. As soon as that book hit my hands, normal PCs were never heard of again by myself. I have played many, many strange and interesting races. I do like that in 4E they have a few non standard races in there(about the only thing I like aobut 4E) and that keeps things interesting. To me, why play a game as a human when I play one every day in real life.

In the words made famous by Boris (R.I.P) "I have a crazy plan!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our group has a hippogryph / half-orc fighter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Weren't the Tolkien Uruk-hai supposed to be half orc-half goblin?
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about Dwelfs - crosses between dwarf and elf?

Or, most realistically, half-dwarf, half-orc, or goblin. Why should only humans and elfs have the, er, fun?
    Certainty Murders Possibility

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Weren't the Tolkien Uruk-hai supposed to be half orc-half goblin?
    Goblins and orcs are the same race/species in Tolkien. He never spelled it out, but some believe the Uruk-hai were a half-human half-orc hybrid.

On DriveThruRPG I remember seeing a d20 supplement ringing through all the combinations of PC races. (7 races -> 21 types of hybrid, I believe.) I'll see if I can find it again, although a number of publishers (notably Fantasy Flight Games) have pulled all their d20 material. Damn GSL.

EDIT: Here it is: "Races of Consequence". Also, I forgot that one of the primary "races" is half-elves, so, including full-blood orcs in the mix, we'd have 6 pure races, or 15 combinations.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 02-23-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    How come nobody every mentions half-halflings (humans and halflings). Would they be "quarterlings", or "three-quarterlings"?

Todd

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a book for 3.5 called Bastards and Bloodlines. It talks about all kinds of wild 1/2 races and gives various reasons for them to exist as well. It was one of the rare books that I was exceptionally happy to find at my local shop. Give it a look, I am sure you'll not be disappointed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I nearly forgot that we had a 1/4 Human, 1/4 Demon, 1/4 Astral Dragon, 1/4 Celestial PC named Harmonious.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    Oh, I nearly forgot that we had a 1/4 Human, 1/4 Demon, 1/4 Astral Dragon, 1/4 Celestial PC named Harmonious.
    That's a heck of a family reunion.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    That's a heck of a family reunion.
    I thought it was a cocktail. It should come with either an olive or a cute umbrella.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast