Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So apparently.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

So apparently.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Wizards his paying 6 cents a word for adventures and article pitches. I'm for sure going to start submitting at least once a week, but the thing is that they only take 4E stuff now, and I don't quite yet understand it.

I managed to get my hands on a Dungeon Masters Guide but not Player handbook, so if someone would kindly point out some reference pages, or some differences I should take note on it'd be helpful.

I already know that Gnomes and Half-orcs are gone and the skills have apparently "become easier, but more useless" (thats a quote form someone I didn't say it, I don't really know. Just saying what I heard) and that now you put half your level into some stuff for skill points or soemthing like that.

So, help?

Here's the link to their sumission guidelines.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/submissions

I'll probably stick to adventures since I don't give a flying damn about Dungeon or Dragon magazine or whatever they're publishing, and it sounds much easier then writing articles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Um, 4e is completely different. A list of what stayed the same would be shorter than one of what changed. If you want to try to get your adventures published for 4e, you'll really need to own the books and understand the system.

Or you could see what Paizo pays for 3.5 material?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Um, 4e is completely different. A list of what stayed the same would be shorter than one of what changed. If you want to try to get your adventures published for 4e, you'll really need to own the books and understand the system.

Or you could see what Paizo pays for 3.5 material?
    Right now, Paizo isn't taking unsolicited submissions. That may change in August when they release the Pathfinder RPG rules. They are, however, accepting submissions for their organized play scenarios. It's too late to get into their annual "RPG Superstar" contest (the winner gets a contract to write an adventure for the "Pathfider Modules" product line), but they do it every year.

To the OP:

I would recommend picking up all three core books (and probably the other WotC 4e releases) AND subscribing to DDI if WotC is who you want to write for. The more you know about the rules set, the better.

As far as Paizo goes, a working knowledge of their Golarion setting is a necessity if you want to write for them. Right now, all they are releasing is material for their setting. Again, after the PfRPG is released, they may take generic proposals, but Golarion is it ATM.

Hope that helped a bit.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well heck! That's much better than the half cent a word Robert E. Howard received for many of his stories.

Best of luck to you Soft Serve in all your endeavors. I find that motivated creative individuals put out some great work. If you want to have folks to bounce ideas off of, then i am sure you will find quite a few people here on this site that would love to ablige, myself included.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually if I could get someone who was willing to just translate 3.5E to 4.E or even just give someone what I had written and they could fill in the stats for 4E and tell me where the adventure woulden't fit together in a 4E world.

I don't really want to do this for money, I just want to get something through the first few times and once I see I can do it then maybe more serious writing for them.

As it is I want to sending them something every monday if anybody wants to help. (excluding this coming monday...lol)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Translating is really a lot harder then you would think, try the library they may havethe books for you.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My library has two floors of childrens books and 1 floor of encyclopedias...so I doubt it.

Half of whatever wotc pays will go to whoever helps me.

I forgot to mention it earlier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually Soft Serve... with that much children's books I think your odds of finding 4E's PH there are pretty good. (Sorry for the crack at 4E to those of you in love with it, the opportunity presented itself lol)

Anyways, I wouldn't mind helping with the stories I guess.
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have all three core books. I wouldn't mind helping out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually Soft Serve... with that much children's books I think your odds of finding 4E's PH there are pretty good. (Sorry for the crack at 4E to those of you in love with it, the opportunity presented itself lol)

Anyways, I wouldn't mind helping with the stories I guess.
    lol, that was a good one at 4E.

I have all three core books. I wouldn't mind helping out.
    Alright I'mm PM you two the stuff I get and see what you can do to it. Or E-mail it or something...

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far from my experience dealing with WOTC, they take a very long time at least 60 days to respond to anything. I had put forth a good effort at the middle of last year sending in a lot of adventures and at the time short stories for 4E. Since then I have heard back on 1 of the 40 I have sent them. It asked for more information, and that was over 3 months ago. I wish you luck with that, I fashion myself as a good writer(I have my wife, a teacher go over the grammar and such) but so far they have been very quiet about everything.

I know Pizo and Fantasy Flight games were also doing the same type of thing. So you may have better luck with them.

In the words made famous by Boris (R.I.P) "I have a crazy plan!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you too, I'll submit something weekly to all of them then which is especially easy for me since I don't...you know...have a job.

lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Thank you too, I'll submit something weekly to all of them then which is especially easy for me since I don't...you know...have a job.

lol

That is why I was and still do send as much as I am able. I will be starting college(as an old guy) soon, so my free time will be limited. I have a few people I know that work in the business as freelance. Some times the various companies hire temp freelance for certain projects. Just keep an eye out.

In the words made famous by Boris (R.I.P) "I have a crazy plan!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't recognize Fantasy Flights until I went to their site, they're seriously hireing freelance writers?

I coulden't find the page (maybe because I didn't register there) but what would they need writers for?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are truly serious about sending in freelance submissions for 4th edition, you really need to pickup the books and learn the system. You also need to probably run some sessions using the system. It has already been correctly noted on this thread that 4th edition is a different animal and you cannot simply translate a 3e game to it without some serious though. To make a fun adventure, you need to consider how 4e works. Skill challenges and encounter traps, for instance, are something to consider in your design. Also, encounter make-ups are vastly different than they were before. A thorough understanding of 4e is going to be your best bet before you get anything published in D&Di.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast