Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Response from emass-web.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Response from emass-web.com

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I recently wrote to the founder of emass-web.com to find out any further information he could share about the taking down of his site. Emass-web.com, which provided a popular and robust database for character creation, was recently taken down after Ema. the founder of the site, received a Cease & Desist letter from Wizards of the Coast. For legal reasons, he could not comment on the specifics, but he did confirm that he received a Cease & Desist letter from the legal branch of Wizards of the Coast in regards to portions of his website, and decided to shut down the site in its entirety instead of leave up something less than what he envisioned. Below is the reply I received.
    "Actually, there's not much to say... I received a Cease & Desist letter from WotC legal branch.
    I did what they asked, and decided to remove the site.

Am I disappointed? Well, what I'm really sorry about is that I'm not allowed to carry on what was a work of love and a source of joy in bringing something useful to the community.

Am I venomous towards WotC? Not really. They're doing their job. I respect their intellectual property, over which I never meant any harm, and I understand they try to fiercely defend it against any real or perceived threat.

Will I stop buying their products? Not at all. I love the game, it has been my favorite hobby for the last 20 years or so. I will keep on playing and DM'ing D&D just as before.

Will I develop any other RPG-related Web content? I don't know, really. In case I do, I will be extra careful to avoid stepping on anybody's toes.

So that's it.
    I saw a lot of venom towards WotC flying around... as I said, they're only doing their job. While I understand you're disappointed, don't let what happened ruin your enthusiasm for the game.

I've also seen exceptionally wild speculations, from the idea that WotC could have hired me (nope, but if they ask me, I will gladly do some freelance work for them) to the incredibly-far fetched one that Scott Rouse secretly came to Italy to discuss the matter with me (not at all, but if Scott ever wants to come by I'll offer him a good margarita).
    No global conspiracies, no secret deals, nothing out of the ordinary, believe me.

It's been a great time, and the messages of solidarity and appreciation I keep receiving and/or seeing on various forums fill me with pride and honor.
    But - unfortunately - it had to go. As they say, "all good things must come to an end"...

Thanks,
    Ema."
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    always good to get the info straight from the source. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Hand Luke

"calling it your job don't make it right, Boss"
    -Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke

Downloads
    Uploads
    so then you have your team of lawyers keep an eye on them and ...yeah never mind. its all a matter of how you want to spend your life in court or drop the site and move on. you did a great job and the site will be missed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis View Post
    so then you have your team of lawyers keep an eye on them and ...yeah never mind. its all a matter of how you want to spend your life in court or drop the site and move on. you did a great job and the site will be missed.
    Sure. No illusions that you'd win the fight or that the fight is worth making in this case. The rules of the game of property (and of power and money which is what writes the rules) are clearly on WoTC's side. Regardless, squashing someone else's work seems morally wrong to me. I'm well aware that my vision of morals don't coincide with those of our legal system and the consequences of that disagreement. Note: I'm also not against WoTC employees earning a decent living from creating the stuff that entertains us so. However I'm not sure all attempts at preserving the integrity of WoTC intellectual property are really in those employees best interests.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawyers always remember the Golden Rule: "He that has the gold, makes the rules."

Backup, backup, backup.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a good rant for this, but it's in no ones best interest to even start.

I'm going with what Tesral said