Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you play....

Downloads
    Uploads

Would you play....

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A game set in Ancient Egypt with a ritual magic system? I have been working on this game for a while. It revolves around Goetic Magic (the magic King Solomon used in old rabbinical literature, similar to that in the Bartimaeus trilogy) where magicians and priests summon and bind demons to do their bidding through tedious rituals.
    Last edited by Farcaster; 02-11-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Moved from Campaign Resources

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends, is summoning and binding demons all that the game is about? If there is more to the plot then maybe, but it seems a little bare bones at the moment. Backstabbing, court intrigue, spying, assassins could have potential, but you'll have to sell me on it a little more.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well of course there is a lot more. It's a campaign setting. I'm just saying the only magic available is the ability to summon and bind demons.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that would fail to interest me, as i perceive it to be inaccurate to the setting described, based on my own studies of the time periods in question.

even discounting any concerns about theoretical "accuracy", i would not be interested in such a magic system.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second nijineko. Egyptian magic revolved around "Hekau", which were apparently "words of power". A "syntactic magic" system would seem more setting-appropriate.

There's already an indie game called Sorcerer, about summoning demons, and how far a person would go for power. It's a pretty dark game, from what I hear. I don't know whether you wanted to go there, or whether Goetic entities in your world are more like djinn or pagan gods ... but "demons" connotes evil and corrupting influences.

Finally, I'm working on my own ritual magic system based around shamans conversing with lesser spirits, and calling upon greater spirits. I'm a little afraid of "netrunner syndrome", where the shaman does his thing and the other players take a soda break. Whether your entities count as NPCs or simply themes for certain powers (a la "vestiges" in D&D's Tome of Magic) will matter to the flavor of magic, and what players will put up with.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure then, because I don't care for magic or magic using characters in general. Sorry I'm not too helpful am I.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I am well aware of Heka (it's Heka, those who used it were called Heaku). And it revolved around knowing the True Name of things. (As in the story of Isis and Ra where he was wounded and she forced him to tell her his True Name so she could heal him and have his power)

I just like the Egyptian setting and Goetic Magic was used in Babylonia which isn't that far, so I was thinking it's not unreasonable. Besides it's a fantasy game. I believe we're allowed to mix and match.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    An Egyptian game that has magic but not Egyptian magic would feel off to me. It is perfectly proper to have other magics that are the domain of the people around them, but Egyptian magic is extremely tied into the culture itself. It would sort of be like running a roaring 20s game, but were going to have wheat paste prohibition, not alcohol.

A Pharonic game could be intresting. But any magic would have to be setting appropriate and I don't see any game revolving around the magic. You need to concentrate on people and events.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The game doesn't revolve around the magic, I just wanted to see how people would feel about it as opposed to the "toss fire" flashy, instantaneous style.

And the magic is a blend. There isn't much on Egyptian magic besides that it revolves around True Names. This combines the rituals of Goetic Magic with the need for True Names (of the demons) of Heka. The 'feel' of it is very appropriate though. It ties in very well to the setting.

And the game has more of a Vampire (WoD) feel than D&D. It's all about political intrigue and religion. It is set around the era when the Romans were doing battle with the Egyptians. Lots of the adventures revolve around the rise to power or the conflicted beliefs of Rome and Egypt.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    read the earthsea series by ursula k. leguin for ideas on truename magic. or you could just get the tome of magic (3.5) for a peek at d&d's version of truename magic. gurps also has some excellent resources in that regard.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Janisy View Post
    The game doesn't revolve around the magic, I just wanted to see how people would feel about it as opposed to the "toss fire" flashy, instantaneous style.

And the magic is a blend. There isn't much on Egyptian magic besides that it revolves around True Names. This combines the rituals of Goetic Magic with the need for True Names (of the demons) of Heka. The 'feel' of it is very appropriate though. It ties in very well to the setting.

And the game has more of a Vampire (WoD) feel than D&D. It's all about political intrigue and religion. It is set around the era when the Romans were doing battle with the Egyptians. Lots of the adventures revolve around the rise to power or the conflicted beliefs of Rome and Egypt.
    That is a whole different animal. The Pholmeiac Pharaohs, adding Greek mysticism, the Roman PoV the old Egyptian and while you are at it add the Kaballic traditions and more.

One does not need flash-bang magic. I wouldn't expect a game to revolve around the magic, but I would expect the magic to fit the culture. Ripping an entirely differet culture's system out and pasting it on to Egypt, which has a rich culture is kind of pointless.

As to World of Darkness, Meh.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it depends on if it the game is suppose to be historically accurate. If it a Egyptian- like culture in a non-earth world then whatever. Besides, what we know about the real Egypt is complete conjecture.
    I think what he should have asked you was, "would you play a game in a setting that was like ancient Egypt?"
    Then asked If you would play a game that had magic that revolved around the use of spirits or whatever. I think it is highly possible for foreign magic to have been used in Egypt since the Egyptians did have contact with the Akkadians to their north who i think may have had similar beliefs to the Babylonians. (i'm taking several history classes at the moment).

AS far as the "Words of power", check out Ars MAgica: this is what their magic system is. very well set up.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    Besides, what we know about the real Egypt is complete conjecture.
    Hardly. Most of what we know is a matter of written record. Written by the Egyptians themselves. The entire culture had a mania for writing things down. Exact details are often a mater of speculation, but who what where is in the record. More is being found all the time.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    rosetta stone, and all that, ne?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    rosetta stone, and all that, ne?
    And I don't mean the computer program.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast