Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: The Novice

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Novice

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Here is a picture of some the stuff I've been working on. I just want everyone to remember I just started doing this about 2 months ago. I also need to finish painting some of the pieces (clearly) and do a lot of touch up, those white spots really show up in the picture. The rubble and barrels/crates have 1" clear plastic bases so you can see the terrain/floor underneath. The board is green on this side but the back is painted black for use with dungeon tiles. I have an entire box of rocks (boulders) but they were to numerous to put in the picture.

Anyway that's most of what I've got so far.
    Last edited by kirksmithicus; 01-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good so far. The nice thing about taking pictures of your pieces is the fact that you can see the white areas to help with touch up. I find that when I paint a piece, once I've taken a photo of it, I can find the white spots where I didn't get the paint on well enough, where as before I took the picture, I would have sworn the piece was properly painted.

Anyway, good job on the terrain. Oh and as long as you're happy with it, it's good no matter what anyone says.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, that really rocks. Having a 3D place to play is always great.

Are these pieces plaster molds or did you have to mold them yourself? As for painting them, yeah the camera will find what your eye did not. I find that sometimes too. Makes it hard to touch up if you mixed the colors yourself. That's why I try to paint out of the jar/bottle if possible.

Next time you post these (you are going to keep us up with what you are making, right) give us some close ups so we can see better just what you did. Don't worry, at this scale you will never be good enough, nor bad enough, that we can't learn what to do next time.

Thanks for sharing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even if I did not find the idea of painting miniatures intimidating and completely daunting I would still think that was a most excellent job and I would take much pride in it if I were you. Good Job

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice guys.

No molds, all hand made out of that crunchy green foam that you use for flower decorating stuff. My wife had some laying around so I used what we had. It took a while to get used to but I really like the stuff. Of course you have to cover it with Spackle before you paint it, but it's easy to work with.

I'll try to get some close-up shots but my picture taking is a little to unsteady. I'll go out into the dreaded garage and try to find my tripod to fix that though.

Even if I did not find the idea of painting miniatures intimidating and completely daunting I would still think that was a most excellent job and I would take much pride in it if I were you. Good Job
    Yeah that's why I never really got into it before, totally intimidated. Finally I just said the hell with and jumped in. I figured the worst that could happen is that I screw it up and waste a few bucks, I already do both on a regular basis anyway. What's a little extra
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    kirksmithicus, if you can get a hold of Dow and Corning Pink or Blue foam, not sure if I've got both manufacturers right, but it's the stuff they use for insulation on buildings, that stuff works really great for terrain, doesn't turn to pebbles as you carve it like most white foam does.

If I remember correctly, it's called extruded foam, instead of expanded foam. Anyway, that's what I would use except that it's really hard to get a hold of down here if Florida, without getting killed by the cost of special shipping.

Had a guy send me a box of pieces one time, but the best way to get it is from the store in a 4 by 8 foot sheet.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have some insulation foam, though it is not the kind you have suggested. I got it from my neighbor who was going to throw it away. I'll check out the pink stuff the next time I'm in the hardware store though. Here is a picture of what I'm trying to do, which is create a portable, lightweight and modular terrain board. Still working on the paint job as always.
    Last edited by kirksmithicus; 01-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks sweet. "White spots" are why I use black primer.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn