Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Is it just me...
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me...

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it just me...

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    ...or do Shadar-kai remind anyone else of the Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick?

"You keep what you kill!"
    "You know spies gamers, a bunch of *****y little girls." - Sam Axe

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol what's a shardar-kai?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A group of shady humanoids from the Shadowfell. (Shady? Get it?) They're in the 4e MM, and I think in the 3e Fiend Folio.

I haven't seen The Chronicles of Riddick, though, so I can't compare.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    A group of shady humanoids from the Shadowfell. (Shady? Get it?) They're in the 4e MM, and I think in the 3e Fiend Folio.

I haven't seen The Chronicles of Riddick, though, so I can't compare.
    I'm on the other end of this spectrum. I've seen Chronicles but do not recall anything about the Shadar-kai. Will have to research.

FYI, the Chronicles of Riddick video game was awesome...probably better than the second movie.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are very similar to the necromongers, thats why I like em! But I find the "normal" races a bit boring anyhow.

In the words made famous by Boris (R.I.P) "I have a crazy plan!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D has always swiped with a will and usually managed to rub the serial numbers off.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    D&D has always swiped with a will and usually managed to rub the serial numbers off.
    That's true. I was noticing that Kuo-tua, the Far Realm and all the Abberent creatures make it easy to make a Call of Cthulhu type game within D`aD.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    That's true. I was noticing that Kuo-tua, the Far Realm and all the Abberent creatures make it easy to make a Call of Cthulhu type game within D`aD.
    And one must not forget that the earliest printings of Deities & Demigods actually included write-ups for Cthulhu and his ilk in the book.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite is the picture on page 112 of the 3.5 DMG II of the giant flaming eye on top of a mountain.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    And one must not forget that the earliest printings of Deities & Demigods actually included write-ups for Cthulhu and his ilk in the book.
    And boy did they fail their "rub the serial numbers off roll". I have a copy of that edition BTW.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the release "Zombies" they(WOTC) ripped off the video game Left 4 Dead almost exactly. They zombies are about 98% similar to the Left 4 Dead ones, the art is not and a few of the abilities and or powers are slightly changed. At first I did not really see it, but then going back and reading the entries and the powers of each "zombie" it became clear what they were trying to do. Kind of sad when the devs have to steal material from a video game, oh wait....well that is the whole 4E isnt it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochin View Post
    In the release "Zombies" they(WOTC) ripped off the video game Left 4 Dead almost exactly. They zombies are about 98% similar to the Left 4 Dead ones, the art is not and a few of the abilities and or powers are slightly changed. At first I did not really see it, but then going back and reading the entries and the powers of each "zombie" it became clear what they were trying to do. Kind of sad when the devs have to steal material from a video game, oh wait....well that is the whole 4E isnt it?
    How are those zombies differnt from 98% of other zombies portrayed in the popular media? I think it's more likely that both the video game and the devs drew from the same source.

And no, 4e is not a video game, and saying it is doesn't make it so, no matter how many times people parrot it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't seen any of the Riddick movies, either.

There was some thought for a while that Shadar-Kai would be a PC race in PHB2, but looks like that's not the case (it will be Shifter instead).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    How are those zombies differnt from 98% of other zombies portrayed in the popular media? I think it's more likely that both the video game and the devs drew from the same source.

And no, 4e is not a video game, and saying it is doesn't make it so, no matter how many times people parrot it.

Well the 4 special zombies in Left 4 dead are fairly unique. WOTC or the author of the bit, used that game as an idea for their media. Having read about Left 4 Dead for a while now, way before launch, for WOTC to release their "zombies" article now is hard to mistake for ripping it off.

About 4e being a video game, well everyone I know has compaired it to WOW. Even the head R&D guys have said they wanted to attract people from WOW to DND. I played WOW for all of 10 minutes(5 of which was making my character) and I disliked it very much. I as well as many others can see how 4e is full of WOW goodness(well badness, but that is another post). I used to love DND, i was a fanboy, now I feel wronged at how they put it out. I know many people said the same about 3.0, but 3.0 was still similar to 2nd. With the powers, lack of skill system, and the amount WOTC is ripping off other companies, it is just not the same beast anymore. Will I still play 4e, sure, as it is more of a social thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Huh... 4e has a skill system, in fact wasn't it take straight from Spycraft's skill system, which was a mixture of AD&D and 3.0? Powers have always been around... every play any of the old Superhero systems? They have powers, they just gave 4e heroes super hero like powers. It is strange to play D&D with crazy named powers.

Also, Shadar-kai are too emo and looky too whimpy to be necromongers, although they are similar. Ripping out people's souls is pretty awesome, being a crying emo child is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast