Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobby++

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hobby++

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yea, for the programmers out there, they'll understand the reference

I'll try to be to the point.

When I read, when I get to a typo (like teh nowadays), it's like a speed bump and a scab. It interrupts the flow of the sentence and I keep going back to it. For instance, in the recently reprinted Arsenal (Shadowrun gear book), I spotted a misuse of the word "use". It's been two days and I still think about it.

So when I find typos, I make a note and drop a line to Catalyst via the dumpshock forums.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail from one of the staff at Catalyst (Jennifer Harding, one of the writers of Unwired). She wanted to know if I would be willing to review text of upcoming books _before_ they're published to catch the typos then. I received a NDA, have signed it and am waiting on my first project.

Yea, I'm not a writer, but I do get to help with a product I like. And I'm doing it anyway. I'd rather it be right when published

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice! Score one for the sticklers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anal retentiveness -- You are doing it right.

Congrats man, that's awesome.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good job! Congratz!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice gig. Do you get paid for this or maybe just as nice, a free copy of the finished product.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats Freejack. Sounds like fun.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Nice gig. Do you get paid for this or maybe just as nice, a free copy of the finished product.
    No pay. I'm actually hoping for some SWAG more than the book. I'm part of a pool and am only working on a piece of it. So I get to see my bit of it and that's it. Since it's a pool, we should all be finding each others missed errors as well. More eyes and all that.

Carl
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's awesome Feels good to know other people like me are out there and the trait does have some validity to it. In highschool, I once won an argument with my english teacher over the placement of punctuation in regards to quotation marks. After that, I don't think he liked me much
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations. I could really use someone like you to follow me around and clean up my mistakes. The pay is lousy and the benefits suck, but you would be able to bask in my presence.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank goodness! The 1st printing of 4e core book made my head spin. Nice to know they are concerned with proper grammar.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha. Usually when I see an error in a book I'm torn between my need to fix it, my aversion of making marks on my books, and being too lazy to get up and get a piece of paper to log the mistake. Anal-retentiveness has its price.

Of course, now that this thread's here I'm paying more attention to my own grammar and punctuation than I usually do . Are you sure you're not an agent of my old english teacher?
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Haha. Usually when I see an error in a book I'm torn between my need to fix it, my aversion of making marks on my books, and being too lazy to get up and get a piece of paper to log the mistake. Anal-retentiveness has its price.

Of course, now that this thread's here I'm paying more attention to my own grammar and punctuation than I usually do . Are you sure you're not an agent of my old english teacher?
    I have the Shadowrun books in electronic format, same with the proofs that I've been reviewing these past couple of days. My method of proofing is to snag the text from the PDF and paste it into a text file. Generally the pdf is a lot harder to read with smaller text or strange formatting. I just want to look at the raw text.

So when I'm proofing (or even reading the other books), I have a three monitor system. So the PDF goes in the left monitor, the working text copy goes in the center, and the errata doc goes in the right.

Carl

Downloads
    Uploads
    What role does the flux capacitor between monitors #1 and #2 play during your edits? And the plasma vortex off to the left?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwalker View Post
    What role does the flux capacitor between monitors #1 and #2 play during your edits? And the plasma vortex off to the left?
    Actually the left most vortex there is my Mac Powerbook. The flux capacitor is an external disk with all the music on it. I plug it into the Powerbook and bring up iTunes to play random music while I play. I'll also drop in a DVD sometimes and watch a movie while surfing the 'net. I've watched a few of our older movies over the past month or so.

Carl
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Another pic:

And the main gaming system I recently built:

Carl
    Last edited by Freejack; 01-16-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Suhweet setup.

>^..^< Kitteh do apruv of et.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast