Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense Rolls

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Defense Rolls

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've been trying to use defense rolls to keep players involved outside of their turns:

"The ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal engages you, make five defense rolls."

The mechanics I'm using:
    NPCs have an Attack Class (AK) against which PCs must roll a D20 and add their defense scores.
    A defense score is an AC less 10.
    An AK is 12+ the character's attack bonus.
    When a defense roll equals an attack class, the attack misses.

The main thing I haven't resolved is how to use this in NPC-only conflicts, because I there's no roll to make two Classes compete; they're static.

Any opinions? I could automatically subtract 10 from the AC and roll on that (and get confused when the two scores equal each other)...or make a judgement based on the difference between the two scores. Or...
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.20
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdown...ownloadid=1068

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope you brought a towel.

Sorry.

I'll have to do some head scratching on this one.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    More scratching from over here.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not exactly sure what you are doing here.

The base d20 system assumes that everyone is taking 10 for defense. So a defence roll becomes AC-10+d20.

If you want to implement defence rolls for players, usually you would have the monsters take 10 on all attack rolls. By adding a defence roll, the GM should be hardly touching the dice. (Except for damage, and even for that, you could always assume average.)

And if you want to have NPCs go at it, just make something up and get back to the important characters (i.e. PCs). Don't make the players watch you roll a bunch of dice that doesn't involve them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You just took the passive role of Armor Class and turned it into an unnecessarily complex active action.

Do you make your characters roll to breathe as well?

(You're gonna need that towel!)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't call avoiding bodily injury a passive action!

I'm with you on making up NPC fights, Tarot. The twist is that NPCs and PCs can fight at the same time, like with henchmen or summoned creatures. I'm thinking that a quick comparison of the AK versus AC will provide a shorthand for how often one hits (if avoiding a normal D20 roll is necessary). Each point that an AK is above an AC is 5% better odds that an attack will hit. If I did my D&D math right, the attacker's DC is 11 minus the difference in the scores. So an AK 17 versus an AC 15 needs a 9 or better to hit.

And an example of defense rolls in action, in case there was some confusion:
    DM: The fiendish mother-in-law attacks. Make a defense roll.
    Player: (adds defense bonus to a D20) 19! Yes!
    DM: (notes FMIL's attack class of 29) The fiendish mother-in-law cackles at your feeble attempt to block her slap, and the impact nearly knocks you to the ground...
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.20
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdown...ownloadid=1068

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    I wouldn't call avoiding bodily injury a passive action!

And an example of defense rolls in action, in case there was some confusion:
    DM: The fiendish mother-in-law attacks. Make a defense roll.
    Player: (adds defense bonus to a D20) 19! Yes!
    DM: (notes FMIL's attack class of 29) The fiendish mother-in-law cackles at your feeble attempt to block her slap, and the impact nearly knocks you to the ground...
    However that isn't a mechanic in D&D attack/defense is not an opposed check. I see no reason to make it one just so more dice get rolled. Yes, defense is not passive, but your ability to defend actively is represented by the Dex bonus in your AC.

You could do this, but I don't see a reason to do so. It has always been assumed that combat happens all at once. We divide it into turns to make it possible to work out what is happening in an orderly fashion.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    However that isn't a mechanic in D&D attack/defense is not an opposed check. I see no reason to make it one just so more dice get rolled. Yes, defense is not passive, but your ability to defend actively is represented by the Dex bonus in your AC.
    It's not more dice, it's just changing who rolls them.

First level fighter. Attack +4 (+1 BAB, +3 Str) longsword 1d8+3. Defence +6 (+5 chain, +1 Dex)
    Gnoll. Attack 13 battleaxe 1d8+2. AC 17.

Fighter attacks gnoll. Player rolls d20+4 vs 17.
    Gnoll attacks fighter. Player rolls d20+6 vs 13.

Thinking more on NPC vs NPC stuff, you could apply the attack/defence difference as a bonus/penalty to damage.
    Last edited by TAROT; 01-04-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking the simplest way for NPC attacks is just to drop 10 off the AC and make a defense roll, and use the attacker's AK. That way, I don't have to worry about whether an AK/AC difference is positive or negative.

By the way, I'd like to rephrase the monster's name: Mother In Law, Fiendish. Now you can use the acronym without feeling like a pop culture tool.