Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PC vs MAC; Who's the winner?

Downloads
    Uploads

PC vs MAC; Who's the winner?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the oldest flame bait ! Well I guess we could use a little flame war to keep us warm during the snow storm
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the best way to accelerate a Mac?

9.81 m/sē.

Last edited by Webhead; 01-06-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duniagdra DaaMyour View Post
    Linux! Bwahahahaha!
    Occult Entertainment is currently working on DM Secretary 5.0.0! If you have any input or opinions, please let us know!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Guh, excessive credits.

I can appreciate that macs are supposed to be more stable, but if I can't afford them and have to install windows on them to play my computer games, then what's the point of having one?
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    that has changed in recent years. there are more and more game for macs. But yes, if all your concerned with playing a video game- then use a pc. the idea of placing the widows OS on a mac is beyond stupid. First why would you sit there and pick between all the different types of vista when you could just buy the newest mac OS- which does not come in 6 different broken flavors?
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm told Macs are reliable, well-designed, and tend to be about as upgraded as they can get when you buy them.

Where's the fun in that? I like to tinker with my machines, even when they're not broken! PCs give me so many chances to do so...

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a gamer who likes to upgrade my rig...aka...PC user.

I have nothing against Macs (used to have one many years ago) but I don't do enough of what they are designed for for them to be useful to me. I use my 'puter for internet browsing, word processing and gaming. Buying a Mac wouldn't make a lot of sense for me.

And, despite the Mac commercials which would have you believe otherwise, PCs (yes, even ones with Vista) work just fine if you know what you're doing. I still prefer XP, but my wife's laptop came with Vista and we have not had any problems with it thus far.
    Last edited by Webhead; 01-07-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by James McKinney View Post
    Linux! Bwahahahaha!
    Second. five years windows free and I have a computer that is mine and works.

In five years I have not run a virus or malware scan.
    In five years and four upgrades I have not paid a cent for computer software and have it all legally.
    Bought a new laptop last April Lenovo Thinkpad T-61 shipped with Linux. Paid 100 dollars less because it wasn't windows and got Novell support with it.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Second. five years windows free and I have a computer that is mine and works.

In five years I have not run a virus or malware scan.
    In five years and four upgrades I have not paid a cent for computer software and have it all legally.
    Bought a new laptop last April Lenovo Thinkpad T-61 shipped with Linux. Paid 100 dollars less because it wasn't windows and got Novell support with it.
    I never had serious problems with Windows the way some people seem to have. Then again, I'm picky about what I allow on my PC, so there is something to be said for being cautious. I also have not purchased non-gaming software that didn't come pre-installed on a computer in...well...actually probably ever. All legit as well.

I'm frugal and a cautious consumer. My current PC is nearing the 4-year mark and it still works like a charm and manages to perform well enough (thanks to some cheap and very modest upgrades) to keep up with most of the games that I want to play. No, it won't run things like Crysis or other resource-hogs at anything more than about 10 frames, but most of the games I play these days run at near-max settings with no hiccups.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    If my laptop didn't come with Windows Vista on it (ick) I woulda installed Linux. BUT. Linux is a bit of a quandary for me. I like the idea of a free, non-pirated OS, but I don't know what to DO with it. I don't want to spend years reading exhaustive MAN pages, but every time I come against an issue and ask for help, the snotty community tells me "RTFM." Then, once I get it installed and working (or just use Ubuntu and ignore the Pokemon comments) I can't for the life of me figure out what's worth doing with it, aside from browsing the internet and playing WoW (if I can ever get it to work in Linux).

I think Linux would be a lot more loved, if the other users were a little less arrogant. What's the point of open source if the only people using it are unwilling to deal with people trying to learn it?

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The thing that annoys me with Apple PR campaigns against PCs is the fallacy that PC=Windows. Sure statistically there may be more Windows OS deployed than the rest of the possible OS out there. Still it's dishonest and I hate brands that use disinformation in their campaigns.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    The thing that annoys me with Apple PR campaigns against PCs is the fallacy that PC=Windows. Sure statistically there may be more Windows OS deployed than the rest of the possible OS out there. Still it's dishonest and I hate brands that use disinformation in their campaigns.
    Sure. I can agree. The commercials really ought to reveal themselves as "Windows Vista vs. OS X" rather than "PC vs. Mac".
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    We're talking 90% or more of PCs run Windows (last I checked), so it's not exactly a lie.

I finally switched to Mac when I upgraded my dinky laptop to Ubuntu Linux and couldn't get my WiFi card to work ... apparently it had a "proprietary" driver. That wasn't the only reason -- having a faster CPU, more memory, and a larger screen doesn't hurt either -- but it was the final straw. (My old laptop, BTW, would go into "auto-coma" even when running Windows 2k; I'd have to reboot to get it back. Contrast to the Mac, where shutting the lid puts it to sleep cleanly, and opening it brings it back almost instantly.)
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a reason that most people, when they have to sneeze, ask you for a kleenex. Not a tissue, a kleenex. Yes, kleenex is a brand of tissue, but nobody ever asks you for a Puffs do they? Kleenex has become synonymous with tissue the way Windows has become synonymous with PC, the reference is just assumed. You don't see Microsoft rushing to correct the mistake, and I doubt you'll see any PC makers doing it either. *shrug* Brand recognition sells product.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast