Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Game Thread

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Sir Corwyn would be called before the Earl.

"Sir Corwyn, good and well met. I have reports of bandits on the road twixt Shrewsbury and Mallwyd on the Welsh border. Being that thou speaks the language and knows the country I charge thee to take ten men at arms and go forth to deal with these men. Make the road safe for travel. Bring them back for trial if they permit it, but if they do not, do not hesitate to relieve God's Earth of their pestilence."

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I will leave on the morrow if it please you. Commerce must not be impeded. I will consider it an honor to bring peace to the roads. I will pray that these men will be brought before you, though I will not hesitate to deliver justice by force if necessary. I will leave and inform the men who will travel with me."

As Sir Colwyn went through the pleasantries with his liege he began a mental list of things he needed to do before he left. First, speak with the chief clerk to learn more of these bandit attacks. How many attacks? What was taken? Were there injuries? Do we know the names and numbers of these bandits. Who was first to report of the attacks. Second see to the supplies needed for his men and the prisoners being brought back. It's a full days ride to Mallwyd on a fast horse. That is hilly country good places to hide. So figure for a six day journey at the most. Thats 66 day rations for the men, take another 34 for the prsioners to keep things even, plus good solid rope.........Sir Colwyn's gaze broke form the earls as numbers and weights began tallying up in Sir Colwyns head.

((I edited a bit. IT has been some time since I PBPed. I forgot the pace of things and my initial post I felt was a little to hasty. p.s. what time of year is it? and I updated my equipment list))
    Last edited by Bearfoot_Adam; 12-28-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There have been three reports to the Earl, that could well mean many more attacks that were never reported.

The merchants where all cleaned out to the clothes on their backs. No names were given and reports vary from 5 to 15 depending on who is reporting. Thus far of those that reported there were no injuries.

The clerk going through the records reports that two nude bodies were also found along the road by other travelers. Might be related, might note. The local Shire Rieves are looking into the murders.

They would get the gear, add a couple of teamsters and a wagon for the extra stuff.

The current season is spring, no long passed the Feast of Easter.

As to the Earl himself he is a young man not long into his honors. His Father the Old Earl died last spring. He is a kindly man that gives generously to the poor and is seen often in the Church. He neither partakes overly of drink, nor of peasant girls, cleaving to his wedded Lady as a good man should. They have five children as thier marriage is well blessed.

It is whispered that the Earl is the descendant of a Welshman and Crusader that became a monk in his later years. He is venerated by some of the local people as a folk Saint. He is buried in the Abby Church. Cadfael the Kind he was called. Known in his time some 100 years past as a man of great wisdom and learning. It is said that as many miracles are attributed to Cadfael as are credited to St Helen whose relics lay in the Abby church.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    *the next morning*
    Sir Colwyn has gathered the men together to address them in the courtyard.

"We are pursuing thieves and possible murderers. We're traveling in good country for hiding so I want sharp eyes. That means I will not tolerate drunkenness on this venture. On a successful return each man will be rewarded with a half gallon of ale, till that time stay sober. There's a silver penny (holding up the coin) for the man that spots an ambush before it's upon us. May God's grace be upon us and bless our task. God save the King!"

Sir. Colwyn mounts his horse and leads the men on the road to Mallwyd.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All: "God Save the King!"

The small group of men move out of Shewsbury Castle and though the town exiting through the west gate, they move out on the road to Mallwyd. If these bandits are typical, it will hard on the border country before they see hide or hair of same. Tis 45 miles to Malwyd and 40+ to the Welsh border. Indeed all the robberies reported came from the border area.

Aye, even through good King Edward II and the work of his son our King Edward III has made great strides in subduing the border bandits they have never entirely vanished.

12 dusty miles are marched that day to Middle Towne. Dusk is settling in when you and your weary men arrive in the village.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sir. Colwyn first sets to finding lodging for his men and himself either at an inn, church, or quartering with the towns folk. Before releasing the men for the evening that he tells them to plan for another day of hard marching at first light and demands clear, sober heads in the morning. He reminds them of their obligation to the earl, that God watches their actions, and that any misconduct will be dealt with harshly. Afterwards he has his evenign meal. IF nothing of note happens that evening he visits the men one last time and then goes to sleep.

** I hope these posts are satisfactory. I'm not sure how much dialouge you are looking for. I can modify my style to allow for more interaction**

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're doing fine.

Being a frequently traveled road the Inn is of some size. Sir Colwyn would quickly get is men quartered. The innkeeper would open his finest room for the Knight.

As they are eating he is getting some saucy glances from the bar wench.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sir. Colwyn's cheeks noticeably color, and not from the watered wine in his cup. Feeling sheepish with his men around him though not wanting to turn away such a welcome gaze he tries to summon the after hour lessons of Sir. Paul and return her glance with equal suggestiveness. When she goes to refill his cup Sir. Colwyn clears his throat. "I couldn't help but notice um... (takeing a drink)...Would you be so kind as to do me the honor of joining me for a dri... I mean to say if you are agreeable or rather if you find it um.. proper um (exhaleing) Did you know I have been charged with stoppng a band of bandits?" (trying to smile)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A wealth of emotions flickers across her face. **Is this guy too green to burn?**

"Bandits? How fascinating."

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally, finding sure footing Sir. Colwyn again clears his throat. "Yes, I guess it is at that. Tis a great honor to fight to keep the road ways free of such banditry, a task that the good Earl of Shrewsbury personally assigned to me. uh... Perhaps you can sit and tell me if you have heard any tales regarding such wicked business as thievery in the border lands west of hear. I am sure that not many men could refuse a boast to one as fair as you.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Oh indeed. I find such things leave my poor heart racing. It would do me great good to comfort such a man before he must enter battle with depraved bandits."

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Oh, but does not the church also look down at comfort as yet another form of depravity? Too much comfort leads to sloth does it not? But please sit. I pray, tell me of any stories you may have heard about these troubles in the west. For if tomorrow , like Daniel, I walk into the lions den then at least for tonight I may share your fine company fine maiden."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He would get much comfort. As much as he cares to take that night. The maid is most willing and quite squirmy.

In the morning cold and hard his men are breakfasting on bread and stale ale as is the custom. He would see a few grins quickly wiped away when they catch him looking. The mornings march would start out in good humor.

The morning is going well other than being held up for a while by a herd of sheep crossing the road. Late morning has them making good time and approaching the walled town of Welshpool. The road ahead seems to be heavily trafficked and said traffic at a total standstill. Tinkers, merchants, and pilgrims all are standing about and only the foot traffic is getting by. That which cares to. The problem seems to be that smack in the middle the sunken narrow lane is an oxcart well mired in and the team is laying down on the job. While he and his men could get around, their wagon cannot.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having assessed the situation, and haveing some experience in these matters Sir. Cowyn rides to the side of the road to address the travelers. "Right then, I am Sir. Colwyn, Knight in service to the earl of Shrewsbury. This cart seems good and truly mired. I'll have some of my men unload it's contents into our wagon. If their is a shovel about will some one start to digging this cart free of the muck. While they are about their task I'll need a pry bar and a hammer to romove some of the slat boards from this wagon to place underneath the wheels. Now we are all in this so let's be quick about these tasks so we can all get under way." When these tasks are accomplished I will apply a not so subtle handle animal check to the oxen to see if I can get the beasts moving and remove the wagon. If successfull I will have the men on the shovels fill the ruts as best they can and leave two men to guide the carts across using the boards as bridge. Once within the walls of Welshpool I will see to getting a team together with gravel to repair the road more competely.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With someone to give direction and athority people move. A shovel is located, boards are produced, and labor offered. With a bit of prodding the Oxen are up and the wagon moving. Soon the road jab is cleared. His men taking lesson from the ox cart get behind their own supply wagon and push it through the mire.

They are shortly in Welshpool. The town is busy on a market day. As his men pass slowly among the hawkers and merchants he spots Sir Allyn who was made a Knight in the same Vigle as himself.

(Jay, that is a sign you should jump in.)

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast