Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragonborn

Downloads
    Uploads

Dragonborn

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Most likely a silly question...

I thought Dragonsborn were born from Eggs. But in the PH they seem to portray the females with breasts ... should I assume that Dragonborn breastfeed?

See ya next year.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Dragonborn are hatched from eggs, and yes, the artists portray the females with swellings on their chest that look suspiciously like mammaries. The 'Ecology of the Dragonborn' says specifically that they are nursed after they hatch, so I suppose that makes them Monotremes, related to the platypus and the spiny echidna.

Personally, I've decided to make a house rule that to the effect that dragonborn are not sexually dimorphic, so there are no big-busted female dragonborn.
    "You know spies gamers, a bunch of *****y little girls." - Sam Axe

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Personally, I've decided to make a house rule that to the effect that dragonborn are not sexually dimorphic, so there are no big-busted female dragonborn.
    Just like the "house rule" I as a player proposed that Tieflings don't have big frakking tails as thick as a leg, which make no anatomical sense to me. (Not that I'm an anatomist, but they imply some sort of reptilian hip and tail structure to make them work.) As portrayed, a Tiefling could never lie on his back, and the tiefling pressed against the wall on one page of the PHB must be very uncomfortable. If the tails are non-functional, any sane Tiefling would amputate them; if they are functional, then Tieflings should get a bonus to Acrobatics and a special "rear strike" attack.

Granted, fantasy art has seldom if ever portrayed accurate non-human anatomy -- look at any winged humanoid and consider avian musculature. In fact, realistic human anatomy, especially female anatomy, often goes by the wayside. But dragon boobs and tiefling tails are particularly bad, considering they're for Player Characters.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never bothered me. Generally my players look at Tieflings as a bad idea to be in the PHB in the first place, and we will worry about the tails later on in life. Most of those kinds of things get forgotten or overlooked when compared to the story and RP points that we prefer anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dragonboobs have been the subject of hundreds of pages of discussion over at Wizards' site. It was getting so bad I even did a comic about it (back when I was doing this comic, which was before 4e came out)-

http://www.worldsedge.org/?p=4

Anyway, reptiles don't have brachiating shoulders, don't stand upright, and can't talk, so breasts aren't that big a stretch for a race that has so many other mammalian features.

Also, what the game designers learned from putting beards on dwarfs is that while it's fun to think about, altering sexual dimorphism characteristics for a race basically makes very few actual women want to play them.

Lastly, that's how fantasy art is. Most of the breasts you see in fantasy art would be unrealistic on humans, too...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Anyway, reptiles don't have brachiating shoulders, don't stand upright, and can't talk, so breasts aren't that big a stretch for a race that has so many other mammalian features.
    What about Therapods? They stood upright, and if you read the right books spoke to one another in thier own languages. Sure, most people do not think aobut Utah Raptor when they think reptile. Reptile does not always mean lizzard.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune1842 View Post
    What about Therapods? They stood upright, and if you read the right books spoke to one another in thier own languages. Sure, most people do not think aobut Utah Raptor when they think reptile. Reptile does not always mean lizzard.
    Is "lizzard" anything like Wizzard?

Sorry.

That's a good point, though. It's simpler to postulate a saurian species with at least partially rotating shoulders and tool-using hands than it is to imagine a reptile/dragon/saurian/whatever that converged almost exactly to anthropoid anatomy. Then again, this is D&D not alternative evolutionary development.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought the exact same thing. I'm guessing they slapped on a pair of boobs to make the race seem more inviting (and by inviting I mean showing that there are infact female dragonborn and female players can play one if they want). All the other races have one male and one female on their pages. A set of knockers makes them seem female, even though something like being twice the size of the male and covered with blue spots might be more accurate.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, but they wouldn't have blue spots.

Females in most species are larger, but less "attractive" than the males. The only ones that break this mold tend to be the mammalian folks. Playing the zoologist game, a female Dragonborn should be twice the size of the male, and plain to the point of being phreaking BORING.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it is a fantasy game, I do not feel it has to be anywhere similar to any real biology. That is just my opinion, and such is usually disagreed with, I am used to it.

In the words made famous by Boris (R.I.P) "I have a crazy plan!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    um i think that some of you are thinking about this just a bit much.

Vulture the Great

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    um i think that some of you are thinking about this just a bit much.
    But details are the spice of a game, and thinking about some random elements to much can help a DM elaborate on the small things. Course, going even further on the thought process means that the DM can over think the game and that is a bad thing. It's a balancing act, to be honest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanth View Post
    But details are the spice of a game,...
    Exactly. And, the sorts of people who play D&D also tend to be the sorts of people who obsess over minutiae (i.e. Asperger's Syndrome).

Before 4e, the obsession of choice was either bearded Dwarf women or how to calculate the blast effect of a volumetric fireball explosion. When 4e art came out it became the Dragonboobs.

My experiences are: It's never come up. There have been three Dragonborn in the party, all of them male. Most of the female characters have been Human or Tiefling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I, for one, applaude the shift from tails & beards to breasts!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Before 4e, the obsession of choice was either bearded Dwarf women or how to calculate the blast effect of a volumetric fireball explosion. When 4e art came out it became the Dragonboobs.
    On the Gleemax forums, there's also a big uproar about Tiefling tails.

Edit: Here's the thread.
    Last edited by 1958Fury; 02-25-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast