Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serenity RPG

Downloads
    Uploads

Serenity RPG

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ayone tried this one yet? I've seen it around, and given it a bit of a read, but I never got a chance to play it much. Given how much I loved the movie and TV series, it seems like the game might be interesting...

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've played it; if you liked the series and the film, then you'll like the game; the GM is what makes the game, ultimately, in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the system looks fantastic. And of course the world is wonderful. Sadly I've never been able to play it. Maybe one of these days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    alas i have not played but i heard from someone its a d6 game so those of you who have read the book is it a GURPS setting book or a stand alone game?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I own the game, but havent had a chance to play it yet. It looks like it has potential.

If and when i do play it, and believe me, i will... one day; i will either be playing it with the rules included, or with the Traveller CT rulesystem. It all depends on the group i'm playing with. In the end, i'll let it be their choice. I'm cool either way.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 12-22-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by placebosonly View Post
    alas i have not played but i heard from someone its a d6 game so those of you who have read the book is it a GURPS setting book or a stand alone game?
    It is very much a stand alone game and is not a d6 game. It is most similar to Unisystem in that you have an Attribute (str, dex, etc.) and a skill (brawl). Where it's different is instead of ranks 1-5 you have dice. They go from a d2 to a d12+d4

Str d10
    dex d12
    int d4

Skills are the same way. You role both those dice add them up, apply any modifiers and compare them to a success chart. Ships and vehicles are made the same way.

There are also many qualities and drawbacks to play with as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearfoot_Adam View Post
    It is very much a stand alone game and is not a d6 game. It is most similar to Unisystem in that you have an Attribute (str, dex, etc.) and a skill (brawl). Where it's different is instead of ranks 1-5 you have dice. They go from a d2 to a d12+d4

Str d10
    dex d12
    int d4

Skills are the same way. You role both those dice add them up, apply any modifiers and compare them to a success chart. Ships and vehicles are made the same way.

There are also many qualities and drawbacks to play with as well.
    thanks that clears up alot, ive heard people talk about the game at the shop but no one has set up a game yet ill definately have to pick this up

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I own it and have read it, but not played it yet. Bearfoot_Adam sums it up well. Each attribute and skill is rated by a die type and you roll your attribute die and your skill die together and add them. I noticed a very surface-level similarity in the mechanic to Savage Worlds, although in Savage Worlds you don't add the dice together.

The game system is very simple and it is easy to make characters. I'm intrigued by the Starship Design system because ships have the same attributes as characters (and even have merits and flaws like characters do) which is really interesting.

The only precaution I have for the game is that there are some noticable design/balance issues that show a few cracks here and there. That said, there are a few really good fan-made revisions and suggestions as well as new material (like new merits and flaws) that both fill in the gaps and bring some of the problematic rules in line.

I would definately be interested to give it a go, if for no other reason than to see the system in action rather than on paper. That said, with my recent affection for Savage Worlds, it strikes me that that game would also make a great system to run Firefly/Serenity under.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved the tv series as well as the movie and would love to try out the rpg if someone ever tries to run a pbp game please give me a pm.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    *snip*

The game system is very simple and it is easy to make characters. I'm intrigued by the Starship Design system because ships have the same attributes as characters (and even have merits and flaws like characters do) which is really interesting.

*snip*
    This would be attributed to the fact that in the TV series and movie, the characters view their ship, Serenity, as a living breathing member of the crew. And it just makes me want to play it that much more, to find that the game treats it that way too.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
    River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home.

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hueloovoo View Post
    This would be attributed to the fact that in the TV series and movie, the characters view their ship, Serenity, as a living breathing member of the crew. And it just makes me want to play it that much more, to find that the game treats it that way too...
    Yep. Serenity is as much a character in the show/movie as the crew.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the book but haven't done a session yet. Side note, Margret Wiess, who co-writed most of the Dragonlance Books, her publising company is the one doing the Serenity RPG books.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, I'm tempted to take another look at the system, myself. I liked it alright until I got to the part about crafting ships, and the massive headache that ensued has made me not want to pick it back up. I ran a short-lived PBP game on another forum that got way too big for me and I had to drop it (as no-one else volunteered to help pick up the slack). I'm with Webhead, and think it could probably be well adapted over to Savage Worlds to give it a bit more stability. The two systems have a similar feel to them, not just similar mechanics.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    after car wars vehicle rules and gurps vehicle rules... the ship crafting rules in serenity didn't even make me blink.

i kinda like the system, but didn't get to play it long enough to really find a character concept i liked. after much thinking back on it, i've finally gotten one i think will work, but now i have no one to play it with. sorta like my battletech mech design... sigh.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently the system (Cortex?) is/was/will be used for a Battlestar Galactica game. Didn't know there was so much to it.

Also, must obtain the adventure modules for Serenity. One of the chief complaints I hear from people who want to play it is that they can't think of stories in that universe. Turns out there's more than one book released with modules in it and there are a couple of comics written by Whedon himself. Hope there will be more
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast