Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Equipment muisings - Page 4
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Equipment muisings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansatan View Post
    I guess it's just hard for me to see the difference between blocking the lightsaber with a cortosis gauntlet and blocking the cortosis gauntlet with a lightsaber.
    So, are you saying that you possibly see a martial artist or someone unarmed but wearing cortosis gauntlets making an attack with the gauntlets?

Because that would be the only way a Jedi could use the block talent to negate the attack. And cortosis gauntlets aren't weapons anyway so one couldn't make an attack with the gauntlets.

So I don't understand where your confusion comes from.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    ...And cortosis gauntlets aren't weapons anyway so one couldn't make an attack with the gauntlets...
    A character can effectively "attack" with the cortosis gauntlets by way of making an unarmed attack while wearing them. That, of course, would be subject to all normal rules for unarmed attacks.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    A character can effectively "attack" with the cortosis gauntlets by way of making an unarmed attack while wearing them. That, of course, would be subject to all normal rules for unarmed attacks.
    Yes you can make an unarmed attack while wearing cortosis gauntlets BUT the gauntlets have no effect in that situation, you are hitting with your fists or melee weapon, not the gauntlets.

Re-read the description of the gauntlets, they only work when you ready an action to parry/block a lightsaber with them.

So effectively you cannot attack WITH the gauntlets but can make unarmed attacks while wearing them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can make an unarmed attack while wearing cortosis gauntlets BUT the gauntlets have no effect in that situation, you are hitting with your fists or melee weapon, not the gauntlets.

Re-read the description of the gauntlets, they only work when you ready an action to parry/block a lightsaber with them.

So effectively you cannot attack WITH the gauntlets but can make unarmed attacks while wearing them.
    As written, you would be correct. I suppose that I would then, for my games, house-rule that successful use of the Block talent against an unarmed attack with cortosis gauntlets would carry the same effect. This is just a personal judgment call based on my conceptualization of what the Block talent represents and the logical extention therefrom.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    As written, you would be correct. I suppose that I would then, for my games, house-rule that successful use of the Block talent against an unarmed attack with cortosis gauntlets would carry the same effect. This is just a personal judgment call based on my conceptualization of what the Block talent represents and the logical extention therefrom.
    So then Jedi could never or would choose to never use the block talent from unarmed attacks coming from someone wearing the gauntlets. Meaning you basically just made any unarmed character extremely dangerous to a Jedi!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So then Jedi could never or would choose to never use the block talent from unarmed attacks coming from someone wearing the gauntlets. Meaning you basically just made any unarmed character extremely dangerous to a Jedi!
    It gives another (albeit extremely rare) option for attacks that can actually be effectual against Jedi. As it stands, Jedi tend to have exceptionally sound defenses and are really only in danger against splash damage, area attacks (excluding the most common area attack -autofire- since they can now reduce autofire damage with Deflect) and other Force Users. I had already house-ruled blasters set to stun such that they were non-Deflectable (both in order to apply internal logic to my understanding of how they work and to make them a potential tactic against Jedi). My judgment on the cortosis gauntlet is of similar origin. Thus, in my campaigns, this would expand the list of Jedi vulnerabilities as follows:

1) Grenades, explosives or huge weapons (expensive and/or contrived)
    2) Walker or starship scale weapons (overkill much?)
    3) Force Powers (perhaps the most common legitimate challenge for Jedi characters)
    4) Blasters set to Stun (limited to a range of 6 squares per the "Stun Setting" rules)
    5) Cortosis weapons/gear (extremely rare and obscure and requires engaging the Jedi in melee where he/she is most capable!)

Still not a terribly wide range of vulnerabilities compared to what the other classes have to worry about.

Also worth noting is that, in my conceptualization of the Star Wars universe, cortosis is an excruciatingly rare substance (very much contrary to how the KotOR video game regards them), so rare than most people don't even know if its existence. One must also remember that someone without the Martial Arts feat still provokes an AoO when attacking unarmed, so Joe-Schmoe with cortosis gauntlets still has to be wary of attacking a Jedi unarmed in the first place, something which is generally regarded as suicidal.
    Last edited by Webhead; 02-02-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    *snip!*
    Makes sense.

Let's move on.

The new equipment presented in the Clone Wars CG are updated versions of weapons presented in the RCR. My particular favorite, the Firelance blaster rifle.

The Firelance in RCR had an increased stun range in Saga it deals 4d6 stun damage instead of 3d8. Not that much of an increase at all.

Personally, they all seem less than exceptional or less appealing than they did in the RCR.

Comments?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes sense...
    There's always a method to my madness and that is essentially it: whatever seems to make the most sense within the context of my game.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234