Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a Pittsburgh based RPG/tabletop guild

Downloads
    Uploads

a Pittsburgh based RPG/tabletop guild

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    after looking around on the site i noticed around 40 people from the Pittsburgh area all on here. i would like to propose the formation of a Pittsburgh based guild . we could all meet up once a month or more for official meetings/games and more often for smaller games if people wanted. it would be a way to get everyone that games in the burgh to start networking ,which i think could lead to some good gameing groups getting together. i have some experiance with helping run a guild, i was part of a small (20-40 people) back in the 90's and think a pittsburgh based guild could be good for the gamers of the area.
    anyone else interested?

Downloads
    Uploads
    i wanted to say sorry to the admin. i really didn't know where to post this and would like to thank whoever moved it to the correct one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty cool.

The only lack being, finding a place where the entire group could meet, if need be.

There are meetup groups already set up, just not real active from meetup.com, as far as posts in the meetup site for the last month go.

By far, this site has the most active posters, who seem to want to meet and game in the Pittsburgh area...so perhaps a forums setup here in these threads:

Social Group Forums
    http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...play.php?f=110

Meetup Group Forums
    http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...splay.php?f=32

(I'm not really sure what the difference in categories is...But giuven that this forums seems the most active, that's an idea.)

I do have a lot of boardgames (Risk, Axis & Allies, Attack! Victory in the Pacific, War at Sea, A&A Naval Minis, Richtoffen's War, about 30 crates of RPGs, and a gaming room in my home, but it would only fit perhaps 5 people total, tops. (enough for a roleplaying group, or a full Axis & allies game, something like that.)

In the spring / summer, we could use my back (not roofed over) porch and picnic table.

Really, I am right now focussed on getting a group going more than anything.

maybe look into these:

GASP
    Gaming Assoc of SW PA:
    http://eonsreach.com/gaspforum/index.php?topic=513.0

GASP's main focus is a monthly game day that occurs on the 2nd Saturday of every month from noon until midnight at the First Baptist Church of Coraopolis. They also run the yearly GASPcon convention, several regular campaigns, and semi-regular events at locations around the city (see the "Non-GASP" Gaming Events in their forum for more information on these).

MEETUP
    Pittsburgh Area Roleplayers Meetup Waiting List
    http://roleplayers.meetup.com/cities/us/pa/pittsburgh/

The Pittsburgh Area Dungeons & Dragons Meetup Group
    http://dnd.meetup.com/804/

(I'm considering paying for / takeover this or the roleplaying group / meetup fees myself...or petitioning meetup to make a PGH Traveller Meetup group...which I would then pay for and lead.)

I also know a handful of people from WOTC forums, who have sent a few messages back and forth to me over the last month, but seems like they are busy due to the holidays (As I am.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clansunstar View Post
    i wanted to say sorry to the admin. i really didn't know where to post this and would like to thank whoever moved it to the correct one.
    It's not a problem. I just wanted to make sure that your topic would be read by others. The Suggestion forum is more a place for users to make suggestions to the administrators and moderators of Pen & Paper Games.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since this seems to be the forum that is used the most, might be a good idea to use this as the electronic home for a Pittsburgh based social group. Especially since membership for Penandpapergames.com is free. For those that are in the position that enables them too, they can help support the site by becoming a community supporter, which I believe is an anual contribution of $12.00, and also gives a few extra site perks to them as well. Just thinking that this may keep someone from having to incur a substantial financial obligation on some other site in order to keep it going. I will keep tabs on this thread as well as mention it to the rest of the "Monroeville Group" as I think we have become known as on here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cplmac, good idea. There seem to be a lot of active posters here, much more so than on the official meetup group for the PGH area. So it makes more sense to put the money here.

To this end I will donate here after my next payday (in a few days), and have started a Pittsburgh Traveller Group on these forums.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...php?groupid=57

If your group is willing, I'll also create a Pittsburgh Regional RPG group, listing your Monroeville 2e Caverns of T Group, my own (Carrick) Pittsburgh Traveller Group, etc.
    Last edited by Etarnon; 12-16-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Etarnon, our group is using the 2E version for my "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign, but if another person DMs a campaign, there is the possibility that it would be run using 3.5 instead. I was thinking about checking with the base of our group to see what we would want to "officially" decide to use for the name of our group. Most likely will happen on Saturday the 20th.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I ran D&D it would be 2e. That's what so interested me about your group.

My 2e would be birthright / or something like my homebrew with birthright flavor.

I got a complete set of 2e brown, blue green books, plus the 2e revised black books plus core rules on cd-rom for 2e.. and a few sets of birthright.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am extremity interested in starting a group on here. i would suggest however we not cover one type of RPG tabletop but welcome all RPG tabletop games. granted not everyone will want to play the same game, but we could have different groups under one banner so to speak.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's probably a good idea. If you guys get a group started, let me know (via PM or email) and I can help get the word out to the P&PG membership.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Clansunstar, I think that's a good idea.

For my part, I'm gonna be running Traveller, as a long term project.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clansunstar View Post
    i am extremity interested in starting a group on here. i would suggest however we not cover one type of RPG tabletop but welcome all RPG tabletop games. granted not everyone will want to play the same game, but we could have different groups under one banner so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    That's probably a good idea. If you guys get a group started, let me know (via PM or email) and I can help get the word out to the P&PG membership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    Clansunstar, I think that's a good idea.

For my part, I'm gonna be running Traveller, as a long term project.

Actually I was thinking that the overall Pittsburgh Area Social Group would be the overall regional setting and that each individual game group would be listed separately as a sub group. This way each game group could list what different types of games they use. I know that for our group, we do D&D (2E and possibly some 3.5 in the future) and we have also played some board games too. Maybe if the oppertunity would present itself, and a location obtained, maybe say once a calendar quarter there could be a big regional get together. Who knows, we could even post the regional get together on the site here and if someone from a further distance in PA, OH, WV, MD, or where ever else had the opportunity to, they could even let us know that they would be stopping by.

How's that sound for an idea?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking that the overall Pittsburgh Area Social Group would be the overall regional setting and that each individual game group would be listed separately as a sub group
    I agree, that's what I thought the setup was going to be one regional, my traveller, your caverns, etc.

There are some people on the meetup also within say 35 to 50 miles in ohio and W VA and whatnot.

So I'll keep putting the word out as I have time.

I've been directing people to here.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    I agree, that's what I thought the setup was going to be one regional, my traveller, your caverns, etc.

There are some people on the meetup also within say 35 to 50 miles in ohio and W VA and whatnot.

So I'll keep putting the word out as I have time.

I've been directing people to here.

Be sure to let people that you direct here to be sure and mention that you recomended they come to our little corner of the world here. I don't know specifically what, but I think you do get credit for "recruiting" new members.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Actually I was thinking that the overall Pittsburgh Area Social Group would be the overall regional setting and that each individual game group would be listed separately as a sub group. This way each game group could list what different types of games they use. I know that for our group, we do D&D (2E and possibly some 3.5 in the future) and we have also played some board games too. Maybe if the oppertunity would present itself, and a location obtained, maybe say once a calendar quarter there could be a big regional get together. Who knows, we could even post the regional get together on the site here and if someone from a further distance in PA, OH, WV, MD, or where ever else had the opportunity to, they could even let us know that they would be stopping by.

How's that sound for an idea?
    sounds really good to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast