Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Layoffs
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Layoffs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Layoffs

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well I found out late yesterday that my job will no longer exist after march 2nd. I am working a couple angles right now but I just wanted everyone to know if I drop off the face of the earth I'm ok I just probably got a new job that isn't as kind to posting at work. cheers and I hope and pray none of you get laid off. (this is my first time! I've never had to think about where is that unemployment office before)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tragic news, but I wish you the best of luck in a speedy recovery. Unemployment is not fun nor is it economically condusive to maintaining pricey hobbies. I'm glad to hear that you've got several months advance notice to prepare though, rather than just showing up one morning with a pink slip on your desk.

Take care of yourself and keep posting!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear about the layoff, but I hope you find something better, very quickly!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck, Morton! We're pulling for ya You didn't need their stinky money anyway. Oh ... right, money is a good thing. I always forget that
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only been laid off once, but it's no fun. Good speed in finding the next job before this one officially ends. At least you have advance notice, that shows some class on the part of your current company.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel for you mate, I'm sure you could do without the stress. I hope you'll find a decent job from now to March. We're all rooting for you.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That sucks. The Wife and I came out of the good end of that one. I hope you have luck in finding a position. I know how stressful it is.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This could be good. After getting "laid off" in The Army, I got a job programming in Basic. You might be the next Bill Joy

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgive me if I only repeat what the rest have said, but I wish you luck and fortune in your job search.

Keep us informed as to how you are fairing. Perhaps someone in the area can help with some leads. Anyone have any leads for Morty to follow? One of the wonderful things about the internet, so much of it is virtual, and we can make it tactile when it suits us or we need to. How about we help Morty find a job P&PG'ers!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone, My wife and I should be good for a couple months after without any real issues. But I have a lot of personal stuff going on right now that could in fact make this a good thing if we end up moving to another state and/or I have at leased one really good lead that would not only be a great job but a sizable raise (I'm up to the final decision process). I'll keep y'all updated when I know more. Fortunately we have been living off one paycheck for over a year so it should (in theory) be easy for one of us to support the other.

[edit] there has also been the blessing of getting my car totaled by an uninsured motorist (its an old car so i only had coverage for that and liability) It was nice to have two cars but honestly we only need one and now we are down to one and we get a check from the insurance company. Its not a ton of money but heh it will pay bills
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 12-11-2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with you in solidarity. I have not been laid off but I relocated and have now been looking for a new job for 4 months. Just remember to keep strong.

Downloads
    Uploads
    good luck.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear this news Mort. Hopefully you get that job that has the raise in pay. Like others have said, at least the current employer has the decency to give you advance notice.

As for the car, I don't know if it is this way in your state, but in PA it is supposed to be against the law to not have auto insurance. Unfortunately it seems that almost daily you hear of instances where this happens to someone and the person responsible has no insurance. They usually have no means to pay for their responsibility too. Trouble is that it seems that they never get in trouble for violating this law. Guess it's one of those uninforced laws for the most part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Sorry to hear this news Mort. Hopefully you get that job that has the raise in pay. Like others have said, at least the current employer has the decency to give you advance notice.

As for the car, I don't know if it is this way in your state, but in PA it is supposed to be against the law to not have auto insurance. Unfortunately it seems that almost daily you hear of instances where this happens to someone and the person responsible has no insurance. They usually have no means to pay for their responsibility too. Trouble is that it seems that they never get in trouble for violating this law. Guess it's one of those uninforced laws for the most part.
    Oh it's enforced if you ever get in auto trouble. Least it is in Ohio. One of my stupid early 20's moments involved getting into an accident when I did not have insurance. Hefty fine, license suspension and it really bumps up your premium.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hear that Colorado has more than 50% uninsured motorists. Which is common from what I understand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast