Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
ok so is it just me? - Page 3
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: ok so is it just me?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Dark Conspiracy (By GDW) is a great Dark Future rpg I have considered perhaps starting a play by post game if I could find some players.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The last thing that really made me sick was the prison riot scenes from Natural Born Killers. I was surprised that a film affected me that much.

And I've seen all sorts of RL gore and violence.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't been sicked out by any movies yet. I get sick off the swings at friggin' Kennywood sometimes though...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can handle blood. I'm diabetic, so needles, as much as I don't like them, they had better not cripple me. Vomit? Can't take it. I'm too much of a threat to add to the mess.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Weirdly, the last movie to really freak me out (aside from like half of anything they ever show on Lifetime) was Dee Snider's Strange Land. I can handle gore and blood, I can handle most psychological horror stuff, but for some reason that movie hit my like a brick between the eyes.

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reason 5002 for loving dnd: Something about being eaten by a predator gets my adrenaline going. Now if i inject the possibility of a giant spider doing the hunting, well, scarrrry.

I saw Jaws when i was a youngling, and i can say it did have an effect on me. Of course, so did Alien. Scarrry.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hueloovoo View Post
    Weirdly, the last movie to really freak me out (aside from like half of anything they ever show on Lifetime) was Dee Snider's Strange Land. I can handle gore and blood, I can handle most psychological horror stuff, but for some reason that movie hit my like a brick between the eyes.
    Now THAT was a great movie very well done.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    haha movie inspiration ideas. Awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No kidding, Dark. I judge movies by the emotional response the elicit from me, and Strange Land is right up near the top.

Sometimes the cheesiest cliches are the most fun to play. After all, how do you think they became so cliche?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmcbride View Post
    Some of the best campaigns I've ever been associated with were horror campaigns. Further, some of the best RPGs ever written have been written in the horror genre -- Call of Cthulhu, Beyond the Mountains of Madness, Delta Green. Consider giving horror a try.

But I agree that horror is fragile. I have three points of advice:

1. First, a little humor isn't a bad thing. Don't go too far. Don't make it wacky. But if you've managed to create a true horrific atmosphere, a little humor can break the relentless gloom.

2. Make the horror intellectual. A two hour movie can do visceral, gut-level horror. RPG campaigns need something more. For example, the boo-something-leaps-out moments work well on film. In RPGs, they are quickly boring. What isn't boring is realizing that everyone you know and love is now trying to claw your eyes out and if you don't kill these flesh-eating zombies before they make it off this military base, humanity is doomed. Actually, horror NOVELS are probably better fodder for horror rpgs than horror movies.

3. Horror is descriptive. When an orc dies in D&D, it dies. Fine. Reward XP. When something dies in horror it bleeds and twitches. Death can be casual in lots of genres. Death is never casual in horror.

Anyways, hope it helps!

Gary
    That last piece of advice I find especially pertinent. I'm scheduled to GM an episode of Unhallowed Metropolis at TempleCon in February, and I'm looking forward to getting a chance to really spook the players.

I can safely say from my own experience as a player that the best campaign that I have ever participated in was also the most unnerving - a live-action game of Wraith called Death's Door, set in a maximum security prison up in Maine. Anyone who knows me has heard me rave repeatedly about it. I have never had a game get so thoroughly under my skin before or since, and as a result, everything else pales in comparison.

If I can achieve something even remotely close to what those storytellers achieved in my Unhallowed Metropolis game, I will be very happy indeed. So obviously, I thoroughly appreciate useful advice/reminders about what makes for a great horror game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've learned from recent games sense are fun to play with too. Put them in a room full of monsters that react to sound and sound only. The floor is covered in 2ft of water. And your expecting the radio to flare up from your pocket any time soon.

Also the door you came in is stuck shut and the only door to leave is not only across the room, but creaks when you open it.

I love GMing in horror. It's just fulfilling. Unlike dnd where you basically expect your players to swing at the orc or whatever, not that there aren't windows of sporadic events, but I mean damn. Horror you can just put that giant blue eyeball filled walking mouth you just woke out of your nightmare from and throw it at your players! It's just beautiful!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123