Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Internet piracy - Page 12
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Internet piracy

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    E-books and e-readers don't cut it for me. It's not that I don't like them, because I think they are pretty cool. It's just that there are too many downsides for me to go that route. The way I read books is a little now, and a little then. Bookmarks are my friends. They are in most of my books I am currently reading. This way I can just pick it up and continue reading where ever I was reading. Plus, I would somehow delete books from the reader. No, I want my book to go back up on the shelf just in case I want to read them again.

As for gaming material, I like both methods, paper and pdf versions. Reading form a book means I can take it with me and find the material faster (cause I am a visual person, pictures or book covers relay a LOT of information from even across the room). But I want/need the pdf if available so I can cut and past into a new document to print out for game day reference.

As for music, had it not been for being able to listen to new music, I might never have bought any new music since, oh, maybe 1985. As it is, I get to buy from music stores all the time. Now my kids, they have sunk a LOT of my money into I-Tunes. I never knew they are so hard to transport for one computer to another. Daughter got a new computer and took us a week to figure out how to move all her music to her new computer. And now she has a new I-Pod. Yeah, same problem. And for as much money as she has conned out of her mother and me, you would think it would be easier. though, I think she is getting pretty good at it now. I-Tunes is now on a first name basis with her now. Hardly know her brother, he still buys CDs. lol

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    E-books and e-readers don't cut it for me. It's not that I don't like them, because I think they are pretty cool. It's just that there are too many downsides for me to go that route. The way I read books is a little now, and a little then. Bookmarks are my friends. They are in most of my books I am currently reading. This way I can just pick it up and continue reading where ever I was reading. Plus, I would somehow delete books from the reader. No, I want my book to go back up on the shelf just in case I want to read them again.
    Actually, what you just said makes you an ideal candidate for a Kindle. The kindle keeps track of your exact location in your book -- for all the books you are reading! That'd actually make things easier on you. And all your book purchases are stored online so that you can redownload them if you need to.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really, I understand the premise. But anything not on your computer really isn't yours. And anything on your computer is liable to disappear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The arts existed long before copyright, which is a relatively recent concept. Art wouldn't be destroyed by the disappearance of effective copyright laws anymore than it was created by their passage.
    Very true, good point. However, there is a big difference between someone drawing a deer on a cave wall and being a professional artist. Art as a viable industry would cease to exist without legal protection. This wasn't always an issue before, because illegal copying was never so easy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree that art would vanish of legal protection didn't exist. Mind you I have had to deal with a plagiarist myself. We certainly do not require the kind of lock down that the big content owners desire. Not the content producers mind you, but the owners. Really why is the Tolkien estate trying to keep people from even using his name? He died in 1973. That was 38 years ago. At this point the only thing a copyright on Lord of the Rings is protecting are a bunch of people sucking off the dead tit of a creative genius, without producing a thing themselves. It is past time to make his works public domain. That is just one example.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Considering the work Christopher Tolkien put into getting his fathers work ready for publication posthumously, I'd hardly call him a freeloader. I don't really see a problem passing your property onto your children.

Mind you, I agree that copyright needs updating, but that's beside the point. Do you really think a company would be able to make money off an idea if they had no control over its reproduction in this day and age where reproduction is so easy? That idea has nothing to do with how long it takes for a work to go into the public domain, I'm talking about works that are released right now.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Disney's been pretty successful at it, over the past eighty- or ninety-some-odd years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure what you mean. There was an internet 80 years ago?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Their business model has included profits from public domain ideas since inception. The rise of the internet doesn't impact their inability to prevent others from using those same ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well my point isn't really that you can't make money from things in the public domain, but that piracy has rapidly corroded the value of ideas in general. Before, just having the resources and infrastructure in place to get product out to people was largely enough, but that is increasingly not the case. The infrastructure is still important to support the artists (giving them an avenue to sell the product to lots of people), but it isn't so important for reproduction. All you need is a computer and a broadband connection.

EDIT:
    Essentially, control over reproduction is more important now by far than it has ever been before, which is why you see so many companies taking draconian measures to try (futilely) and take that control. But that doesn't work. All it really does is make people more likely to pirate, which in turns devalues ideas even more and makes companies take even harsher controls. The end result of all this is probably going to be a crackdown on the internet; these multi-billion dollar industries certainly aren't going to just disappear. Seems like it may have already started?

You might read that and say "See! It's the corporations fault!". Not an invalid thought, though people pirate regardless. I think essentially we're all taking the roles have to take. The companies are obligated to do everything they can to protect their product, and the people have to take it for free simply because they can and it's so easy and because of the devaluing nature of piracy. Stepping back, it really does look like a forgone conclusion, and suddenly I'm hit with the sense that nobodies at fault and we're all machines following a set path and... Oh God, I need to stop there. That way leads to nothing but madness.
    Last edited by Bellum; 03-15-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think the Internet is going to kill any companies through piracy. Humans will just adapt to ensure that their money making continues. I remember when the music industry freaked out when the 8 track tape came out, but it's many years later and we still have a music industry. Same happened with the cassette tape, guess what, still there.

Yes the Internet allows for a wider distribution of pirated whatever, be it music, movies, books, etc, but we also get Internet radio and movies from it, meaning pay for play. So while there's a means of getting pirated things easily, there's also a method to get those same items out to the public for profit in a much easier method. Oh yeah and a much cheaper method.

It's much more cost effective to create an mp3 of a song than it is to record it to 8 track, cassette, or CD/DVD!

I really don't see the hysteria from piracy that most corporations keep screaming, because while there are people who will pirate something, there are others who will gladly pay for that same something!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellum View Post
    Well my point isn't really that you can't make money from things in the public domain, but that piracy has rapidly corroded the value of ideas in general. Before, just having the resources and infrastructure in place to get product out to people was largely enough, but that is increasingly not the case. The infrastructure is still important to support the artists (giving them an avenue to sell the product to lots of people), but it isn't so important for reproduction. All you need is a computer and a broadband connection.
    Sort of. Copyright doesn't protect ideas, though; it protects a specific expression of an idea, set in a fixed medium. And the current structure doesn't always protect creators; it protects the copyright holder, which isn't necessarily the same entity. The problem is thinking of IP in the same terms as physical property, which it isn't; ideas are far more like services, than goods.

(Also, the hullabaloo over digital copies could be seen as a lesson from '84's Sony v. Universal, and I'm not convinced our culture took the right lesson to heart there ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I really don't see the hysteria from piracy that most corporations keep screaming, because while there are people who will pirate something, there are others who will gladly pay for that same something!
    The irony is, sometimes these are the same people. For the same content.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112