Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
H.P. Lovecraft - Page 4
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: H.P. Lovecraft

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yeah I love this game so much. I've played it everyday since I've gotten it.

My dad even played it himself while I was asleep. People are coming over to play it and stuff. It's like a public attraction now.

This morning I went through and wrote out which investigators are good for what ancient one by how the ancient one attacks and what the highest amount of whatever he would be hitting is on the investigator sheets...

I only did that though because everyone here scores individually instead of as a team so we know who did the best in the game, so I'm super ready to not come in second or third this time or lose altogether like I have my last 3 games....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great, I'm glad to know I helped in your decision.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, now if I can just afford the $200 expansions....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up my first compilation of Lovecraft over the holiday and started reading with "Rats in the Walls." I found it incredibly easy to read right up until the end, where it went crazy way too fast and left me behind. In the middle of "The Portrait in the House" now.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lovecraft, early REH (pre-Conan) and a few other pulp era writers share a lot with Poe in terms of flavor and 'touch'. I have tried to collect all of Lovecraft's works and i also find his influence - Lord Dunsany - to really touch a unique spot that for some reason conjures images so vivid and striking they cannot be ignored. Every game i run eventually brings in elements of Dunsany and Lovecraft - horror and fascination, a compulsion not to turn away from a vision or situation so frightful it threatens to overwhelm sanity itself. And i always use sanity as a game facet now - even if i have to bolt it on myself.

Thank you H.P. for creating an easily accessible common culture and essence that GM's can draw on to really mess with players heads.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Picked up my first compilation of Lovecraft over the holiday and started reading with "Rats in the Walls." I found it incredibly easy to read right up until the end, where it went crazy way too fast and left me behind. In the middle of "The Portrait in the House" now.
    It's worth taking another read through of the last part of "Rats in the Walls" if it didn't completely click the first time through. The "crazy jargon" part is probably the best and most intriguing part of the story. The immediacy of it is intentional. The man sees the "truth" of what lies inside the cave and even mid-thought, for all his reason and intellect, his mind is completely unraveled by what he saw. Great story.

"The Portrait in the House" is a good one as well.

One of my personal faves of Lovecraft's stories is "The Temple". Like all of Lovecraft's work, it is best enjoyed when alone or otherwise in quiet, private comfort.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, planning on re-reading it just so I can get a better understanding of why it felt like such an easy read to me. One of the things I'd heard about Lovecraft is that he's a little hard to parse.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, planning on re-reading it just so I can get a better understanding of why it felt like such an easy read to me. One of the things I'd heard about Lovecraft is that he's a little hard to parse.
    That all just depends upon one's literary comfort level. I haven't found any of Lovecraft's work "difficult" to read but it just takes an understanding that he is using some very outdated and obscure (even for his own time) vernacular.

His work is also accused of being "dry" by way of most of his narratives being driven by highly intellectual and sophisticated characters. Personally, I find that it only adds to the atmosphere of horror by demonstrating that even the most seemingly sound, resolute and learned mind can be so instantly undone by the discovery of the "secret Truths" about the Universe and how ultimately insignificant humanity is by comparison. In short: "we are not the masters of our reality that we presume to be".
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finished reading The Picture in the House, The Outsider, and Pickman's Model yesterday. So far, I love the imagery of his stories and how convincingly horrified the people narrating them are, but I can usually guess what's going on before he gets to the big reveal and it sort of spoils the suspense for me .

I'm reading this book, in case anyone is curious.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...I'm reading this book, in case anyone is curious.
    I have that one. It's a good solid collection of some of his works.

Yes, Lovecraft tends to be more of "horror of atmosphere" and not "horror of reveal" or "shock horror" as a lot of more modern writers are. It's the kind of "hair standing up on the back of your neck" sort of fear and not the "jump out of your seat" sort.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Howard! Phillips! Lovecraft!

Ken Hites, author of the new Lovecraftian game Trail of Cthulhu, wrote short critical essays on each of Lovecraft's stories while working on the game. The original form of the "Tour de Lovecraft" is at his blog http://princeofcairo.livejournal.com/87248.html,

while an edited form is published as a book and a PDF by Atomic Overmind Press http://atomicovermind.com/blog/?page_id=121.

They are very readable while addressing themes in Lovecraft's intellectual and political life, trends in scholarship on our favorite Providencer, and connections with other media and the authors inspiring Lovecraft: Dunsany, Poe, etc. Good stuff.

As long as I'm linking, we have a perfectly enormous backlog of Lovecraft discussions at http://yog-sothoth.com, which is primarily forums and media for the Call of Cthulhu game and other roleplaying treatments.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First post in months, only makes sense it should go on one of my first posts ever.

I'm somewhere at 1/4th through the Necronomicon. I got caught up in Max Brooks, but to come back to Lovecraft is great.

I absolutely LOVED the Music of Eric Zann, The Unnameable, Under the Pyramids and the Cats of Ulthar. I didn't understand the Doom that came to Sarnath though.

I must have read The Call of Cthulhu some 40 times now. It's like a bedtime story. I've memorized the poem "Nightgaunts"

"If only they would make some sound,
    or wear a face where faces should be found!"
    Love that line. Does anyone else think it's weird that this vicious looking devil...

http://www.elfwood.com/art/k/y/kyzhuroth/nightgaunt.jpg

...has only one form of combat, which is tickling a person until they're laughing too hard to resist being carried to something bigger?

Could anyone tell me which one is the one with the family that breaks down into incest and creates these giant white gorrila things that start killing peoples? I remember a part of it has a partner of the antagonists (Can't remember his name) looks out a window and stays stuck in that position until this storm ends, and when he goes to check him the guys face was eaten clean off his head. I want to say "The Lurking Fear" but I'm not sure...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234