Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Online OpenRPG Traveller (Alternity?) Homebrew Proposal
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Online OpenRPG Traveller (Alternity?) Homebrew Proposal

Downloads
    Uploads

Online OpenRPG Traveller (Alternity?) Homebrew Proposal

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi, I'm a veteran traveller referee, moving into a new home, so things are disrupted.

This is not a solid offer to run a game, it is a "Here's the proposal, let's see who shows up, AND can we commit and bring it all together, over the next month and a half."

So I want to be clear, I'm offering the following info on that tentative basis.

I'd be willing to run a Traveller (Rules, not setting, see later details) game via openRPG, if we could find say two more players. Said game to start oh, mid january, or so. Nights to be determined. 4 to 5 hours sessions average.

Needed: Players. A new website, and I'd have to gen up some new maps, we'd need characters. I plan to release a list of pre-done pre-gens.

My Experience:
    I've been a traveller referee since 1977, when i started gaming. Extensive campaigns using Classic Imperium, 2300 AD, and TNE post-virus,

My Books:
    I have a total of 7 crates of Classic, Mega, TNE, T4, 2300AD, and Mongoose. I prefer classic with some megaT skills system thrown in. Mongoose is a good second option since it is in print.

Proposed setting would be my own home campaign, not set in the traveller universe, but my own Orion Arm 5440 universe.

Failing that, Alternity is another good system to use, same setting would take a bit longer to set up. I've been wanting to port this whole deal to the Alternity system for some time anyway... but i digress.

My style notes:
    "Narrative", backed up by "Simulationist" style a la GNS.
    I like Simple Game systems with depth, (Like Classic Traveller)
    I'm not a fan of powergaming, or munchkinism.
    I'd ask for as detailed a character history as a player can give me, or failing that, I'll give him / her one. No time-travelling weirdness, or multiple personalities, or other off the wall stuff like that.

We're talking Traders, Pilots, Scouts, Military types, in a gritty universe, not Elric flavored angsty loners in space, if you get my meaning.

I'm good at Maps (Of all scales), History (Moreso in Fantasy Games), Plots, and NPC Character Backgrounds, in that order.

My weakness is NPC dialogue in game (But I think I do okay), math in combat, and running stuff "on the fly" or with "Zero prep time"

My wife thinks I'm a much better worldbuilder than DM. She's likely right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Proposed Setting notes (Subject to change, as the campaign design evolves, until we reach a "Set" Standard, if this even gets off the ground...):

Orion Arm: 5440

The year is 5440. Long ago, the Terran Empire ruled the galaxy, but during "The Annihilation," interstellar war ravaged the area of space known as the Terran Defense Zone, and "The Wastes." Very little is left of the Terran Empire today, except shattered, overgrown ruins on devastated worlds.

In the centuries since "The Annihilation," Humanity has recovered some elements of the old technology, and branched out toward the stars again.

The crews of Explorer ships on deep-space scouting missions now explore the worlds of the Orion Arm. Dark, foreboding places, where one mistake could mean the end of an Explorer, or a whole Explorer team.

The galaxy is full of mysteries, enigmas, and life, most of it alien.

Loose Historical Archive
    (under revision)
    Pre-Annihilation History

There are only fragmentary records of these days before "The Annihilation", consisting mostly of rumor, legend, and popular belief.

By the 44th Century, the Terran Empire, already drained by centuries of internal religious war, was subject to invasion along the Coreward Frontier. Across whole Sectors of space, civilian interstellar trade and travel tapered off to nil, as the Terran Imperial Navy fought wars on an unimaginable scale against the invaders from the Sagittarius Arm.

Huge fleets clashed over distant worlds, the invaders destroying planets by orbital bombardment in the process. Eventually, the invaders were driven back, but the devastation was vast, and many distant colony worlds no longer received regular food shipments, or other critically needed supplies, due to the decimation of the Terran Fleet.

The Final Collapse of Terran Civilization as a coherent political entity began when local planetary forces on many worlds attacked the local Terran Imperial Garrisons, seeking food supplies, parts, and transports to escape their plight.

By The 45th Century, anarchy reigned across space as local planetary armies fought each other over control of their worlds, and literacy and technology had been lost everywhere.

With the dawn of the 46th century, death cults and mass suicides become commonplace.
    With little contact between planets, cultural cohesion was lost, and the rise of the majority of the Splinter Races took place,
    as the Terran culture continued to fragment.

Near the end of the 4th Millennium, an Intergalactic Dark Age set in, with little to no large scale civilization left.

Known Space was composed of the shattered remnants of the Terran Empire, with scattered pockets of civilization on far-flung worlds. The distant worlds of the farthest sectors of Known Space are extremely dangerous, home to alien creatures of all description.

Through it all, the Neo-Buddhists became the guardians of lost technology, fighting to slow the inevitable collapse of civilization, as much as they could, by preserving the old records.

In the furthest reaches of space, planets are destroyed by technological catastrophes, caused by the loss of civilization, trade, and travel.

Near the end of the period, civilization slowly returns to isolated worlds. Whole cultures drifted into new forms, and multiple societies began to rebuild their lost technology. Many others simply died.

During the recovery process, interstellar piracy and raiding was common, while the scant few traders who still operated made huge profits in supplying off-world goods to those planets unlucky enough to be cut off from regular trade.

On other worlds, a few individuals become powerful when they discover the remnants of the lost technology.

After a long period of multiple centuries, new human cultures emerge, as the interstellar civilization recovers.

Recorded History
    5103 The old secrets of the Terran's Tachyon drive are puzzled out by the Neo-Buddhist Masters of the Temple of Enlightenment, which heralds the slow beginning of a new age of discovery and exploration of space. Expeditions are soon planned to journey Rimward along the stars of the Orion Arm. Soon after the first Tachyon Ships are launched, a few nearby systems to Rimward in a sector of space now known as The Lost Colonies were found to be inhabited by Humans, very similar in appearance, the first contacts with what is called the Splinter Races.

5109 Political overtures were made, and finally a loose interstellar government is formed, and the Orion Republic is born.

5132 A hostile alien ship of unknown origin enters the Aleph system, and destroys all of the colonies there before it is crippled in battle by the Heavy Cruiser Endeavor. The aliens are discovered to be an arachnid race that is later to be called the K'Klak.

5135 A massive effort to resist raids by waves of K'Klak invaders on the outlying colonies and worlds of the Orion Republic begins. At first, system after system falls before the fierce onslaught, due to the relatively slow speed of the Tachyon Drive, and the inability to coordinate large-scale fleet defenses. Planet after planet is bombed, and the K'Klak Fleet slowly moves closer, year after year.

5212 It seemed that there was no hope to win the war with the K'Klak, until the Battlecruiser Pacifica encounters a previously unknown race, later to be called The Felis in the Gamma Leonis system while on deep space patrol.

The Felis, bitter enemies of the K'Klak, had managed to fight them to a standstill along a large corridor of detroyed worlds in the Arcturus Sector. In a major step toward Interstellar cooperation, the Felis and Orion Republic start immediate negotiations for a mutually beneficial partnership, which was formally recognized by both races within 8 years as the Galactic Alliance. The Felis contributed the secrets of the Quantum Drive, which was nearly 3 times more efficient than the Tachyon Drive, enabling ships to move the distance of a light-year in only a month's subjective time.

The Orion Republic Fleet fits the new Felis Quantum Drive into their largest Akagi class Battlecruisers, and sends them out to engage the K'Klak on the fringes of Republic territory. Slowly, The K'Klak retreat toward the Sarpedon sector of space, but each battle is still one of bloody attrition.

5308 Entering the Arcturus Sector in early 5308, Admiral Nakagawa uses a secret tactic that he had developed to utilize the gravitational disturbance of the Black Hole at Arcturus Null to mask the emissions of his Coreward Strike Fleet. In the resulting slaughter, the K'Klak Assault Fleet was left burning or crippled, and many ships fell into the black hole at Arcturus Null and were crushed out of existence. Returning to the Core Worlds, Nakagawa proclaims himself Emperor of the Orion Empire, and he is supported wholeheartedly by the Republic Military.

5368 The Orion Empire fully redevelops the Core Worlds Sector, bringing every world under Imperial Rule.

5370 The Orion Empire experiences new growth as it reabsorbs the formerly lost worlds of the Outer Colonies over a period of about 33 years. Most are readmitted peacefully, but a few revolt, and are quickly obliterated to serve as examples in a series of Actions known as the Island Worlds Rebellions. Attacks by Island Worlds resistance groups occur nearly continuously over the next half-century.

Recent History
    5401 Emperor Miklos dies suddenly, in late 5401, of an inherited genetic disease.

5402 The Felis make the first overtures toward peace to Miklos' young successor, Marcus, and soon the Felis Peace Treaty is signed, at Arcturus-Null, on New Year day, 5402.

5403 The Imperialization of the Outer Colonies is complete, as the last remaining colony world, Droshan, submits to Imperial rule.

5405 Emperor Marcus commissions the first members of the Imperial Explorer Corps, tasking them with a long-term survey of Unexplored space, with the goal of eventual Imperial Expansion.

5407 A major naval battle is fought to Coreward against an unknown enemy, forcing the Coreward fleet to withdraw.

5410 The Coreward War against the Shret begins.

5420 Emperor Marcus dies at the hands of a Island Worlds assassin, who is caught and executed within the month. Elana assumes his place on the throne, as Empress.

5421 Empress Elana stuns the Empire by signing the Fringeworld Act, which gives many planets of the Fringe Worlds and the Island Worlds their freedom from Imperial rule. She thus orders a large number of new naval construction contracts, that soon employ a significant potion of Fringe Worlds Industrial complexes.

5425 Empress Elessar comes to power as her elder sister Elana is killed in an explosion aboard her Flagship, OSS Justicar, in a battle along the coreward frontier against the Shret Fleet. Empress Elessar is seen as weak, and ineffective by the majority of the populace.

5427 The Rim Wars begin, as many Fringe Worlds systems engage in destructive raids on one another, for natural resources.

5431 The First Rim War Ends in an unstable peace between combatant Fringe Worlds.

5434 Beginning of the 2nd Rim War.

5439 Attacks by raiders of the 2nd Rim War taper off, with much of the Island Worlds industry in ruins.

5440 Present Day
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Again, this also might end up being Alternity, depending on interest. I'm asking for people to work with me. I'm willing to buy Player's hand books from Ebay for committed players, depending on the game. (I have access to a local Ebay store gamer that gets me stuff dirt cheap, that is playable, but not saleable condition.)

Anyone interested, let me know. If we get at least 3 players who seem likely to commit, and we can work out a night to play, i'll get started.

Again game won't be running till 15 January or so.

I live in EST time zone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay so I've started working on this. Maps to be released over the next week. Rules set is still up in the air, leaning toward mongoose, since I just bought High Guard for Mongoose Traveller at one of the FLGS's in the area.

Happy holidays everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How's this building up? Got a firm group yet or schedule? Interested in playing, but due to work schedule Friday nights or Saturday would be my only availability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No firm group, no group at all. The ad I placed weeks ago in a few local game stores with phone number and email and pull tabs with same got zero responses.

I was about to switch gears and perhaps try posting the setup for a Birthright 2e flavored game, or something, since this didn't meet with any response.

Some guys who wandered into the store said they might enjoy star wars d20.

A few people I currently game with said they'd like 3.0 D&D.

Thanks for your interest and vote of confidence.

I'll see if I can find another. Maybe two weeks or so, I'll keep looking.

Kind of surprised that the ads got no response, since mongoose seems to be selling well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Travellers a great system, and Mongoose didn't do anything to lessen it. I haven't played in a years but would love to give it a go. If you get some more interest let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will do. I'm still working on it, i'll put up more ads in online venues, centered around openRPG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still working on this?? I play MGT online wedsday nights. Other nights I am open to play if you are looking for players. I don't log in here much though. I'll look back in next week. Mike
    "Scary Monsters" Unknown Technician

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, still working on it. Mostly lack of interested players. That makes two.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Huge Traveller fan here. Wishing you the best of luck getting it going. Wish I lived closer.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lived closer? This is an online game right?? How many players are you looking for total and what night/nights of the week are you looking to play??? Mike
    "Scary Monsters" Unknown Technician

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Youre right, it is an online game. Apparently, Thoth is so busy writing his final paper that he didnt notice.

Hey Etarnon... i may be interested in an online Traveller campaign. I've only ever played CT-and have all the material. I know nothing of Alternity-well, almost nothing. As of right now, i am currently in an online 1st edition dnd game-which i plan to get fully involved with in the next two days, and believe i will have the time for two online campaigns.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it is online, via openRPG.

Was looking for 3.

Saturdays are taken up by my in person 2e game with cplmac as DM, and my online OpenRPG Sunday 3.0 D&D game.

Basically because I let the idea of running this lapse, sue to lack of interest.

Maybe something every other week on a friday?

I'd go more into this, but I'm recovering from the flu.

Downloads
    Uploads
    okay so it looks like some interest, i'll push more on this and get it into runnable condition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to see this is going to happen. Friday nights would work great for me. I have a milk crate full of original Traveller. I leant my copy of Mongoose to a co-worker who then got laid off, so I'm not sure I'll have access to those rules until I get a replacement book. You had talked about pre-gens, but will we be allowed to submit for review and acceptance our own characters?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah sure. PRe gens is if people are too new to the game. You got a pre gen run it by me.

This is gonna be a scouts / fropntier type game, pretty much. Get the flavor from the thread upstairs.

This is not the third Imperium, This is OrionArm:5440.
    Jump drive etc works the same. It's just using Traveller rules in my homebrew.

Characters desired: Scouts, army, navy, marines, Even an odd spy or two. etc. No subterfuge within the party, no PVP. I don't want this puppy to disintegrate.

I also just am not looking for any kind of pirates. Mostly say former military or squared away guys seeking to explore new worlds, either by assignment or for economics.

A lot of what goes on will be determined by the characters, and their enemies as generated...

I want to use mongoose rather than classic because of the many and varied hooks and connections, mongoose uses which traveller didn't have because it was pre gurps and such.

I'm looking for a crew for a small scout ship or perhaps a merchant ship, cracking open the frontier. Maps to follow, hopefully by tomorrow. I'll work on getting some sample PCs up.

Have an interesting backstory. Triumphs are good, failures your PC is working through are good.

Even if only two players can be found, I'll run this. Traveller was my first game, which started me as Referee in 1977, when I was 11 years old.

Actual game day start depends. This friday is likely gonna be too soon. I am starting up a 3.0 online game this sunday and still got stuff to do for that.

Glad to see all this interest, I'll work with everyone as much as I can.

If I still didn't have the flu, I'd be dancing. as it is a little flop of the arms, and a crackly dry throat hurrah, is about all I'll manage.

Gonna try to get a TNS blog going. I'll link it when it is up.

*salute* to all prospective players of this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast