Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a horror one-shot... (Long read)

Downloads
    Uploads

Creating a horror one-shot... (Long read)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ahoy fellas, I'm designing a horror scenario for a group of probably 3 players.
    It's a oneshotter, so there is no sweat if not everyone survives (read: Not everyone should survive).
    I'm trying to come up with valid ideas right now. I thought I'd post what I've written down so far, and see if you can help me put it together.
    I apologise beforehand on behalf of the long wall of text, but I believe you probably will want some of the background/basic info if you are to be able to give suggestions

First the basic info:

Ruleset,
    Im probably going to go with Kult (Cult), simply because we all have the rules avaliable. I'm probably gonna toss the rules around a bit to fit the coming scenario better (I dont know if that is considered taboo).
    Estimated playtime,
    anywhere between 6-9 hours.
    If the game was to stretch over 9 hours it would have to be hella-fun, since most of the PC's will probably be half asleep by that time.
    Number of GM's: 1

Background:

We have played a few different types of scenarios and games, ranging from Action/Adventure to Horror. We all find horror without a doubt the most interesting, and now I'll give it a try to best the other scenarios and give the group a boneshaking experience with the help of you experts.
    Here's what we've done so far in horror:
    Abandoned research facility in a snow-landscape,
    Abandoned City in the desert,
    Abandoned Spaceship (in space, lol),
    And Hotel á la The Shining. (Not abandoned, it was the NPC's who got more and more creepy. They were actually meant to leave the hotel after a few days but we never got that far)

and now on the would-be juicy part.

Some ideas:

I'm trying to come up with a good plot, but here is where the real crafting begins and I really need your help.
    The first scenario was pretty much created on the go, but lately the scenarios have gotten more prepared, with drawn maps, fitting music and the likes.

Plot:
    The basic plot will probably be the PC's exploring something, wether that is a Research Facility, abandoned house, hotel, village etc.

Thats it. It really is. I've came up with a shitload of things that could happen, but I have yet to weave them into a storyline.

Here are some things I have considered. (FYI: when i speak of the party, i often mean not the entire party, but the people in that room, or the only the people from the party affected)

The party encounters a creepy old man. He is sitting in a wheelchair by the window of the attic, eyes staring out with a distant look on his face. As you enter the attic, your nostrils are invaded by a stench of impending decay. His hands resting on his knees, shaking, drumming, to a beat you seem to be able not to hear. If a character has Shizophrenia, or some skills making them acceptable to ghostly activity, they will also faintly hear the music
    When they approach the man, he will speak softly to himself in a language they do not understand (Spanish). If a character knows spanish, the will be able to communicate with him later on Even if the party manages to understand him, he will not say anything to them. He will simply glare at them distantly and speak to himself. If the party touches him, he will SCREAM something and grab ahold of one of them, drawing the PC closer to his face while screaming something in Spanish. If a character has the Empathy skill, they will feel the man is in considerable pain. Burning. The person the man is holding will see that the man is blind. If a person is receptable to ghostly activity, he will feel the old man radiating heat. (Or something)
    That man would probably be important later (If the party does not freak out and kill him)

The party finds a cursed object (a pendant, ring, necklace of some kind).
    Either I would portray it as extremely beautiful to the person who finds it, but as hideous to the rest. (E.g. a golden necklace with diamonds circling a ruby While the other people see a very shrunken baby skull, with a large crack running from the top left of the forehead down to the center of the mouth.)
    Or I would portray it as extremely valuable to one person, and as the game progresses make the other people jealous of both the necklace and the wearer (Tell them how valuable it looks, tell them that they sometimes hear the wearer mocking them behind their back, etc)

The party would often pass by a certain thing that would gradually change.
    E.g. if they killed the creepy old man (If i add him into play), and just leave him there, he will gradually be more and more mutilated/eaten on everytime they pass by him.
    Or a painting haning on the wall featuring a woman, whom would gradually look more and more starved/angry/something.
    I would roll Awareness-checks, to see if people starts noticicing the changes or not. The more the object are changed, the lower the DC to see it becomes. That way, I hope the more aware players will start creeping out the less aware players. (Is he going crazy or what?)
    Something I would really like is a painting of the house the players are in, with some random guy painted as walking somewhere in the picture. Over time that man would grow darker, and get closer to the house. At last he would have reached the house and they would hear a knock on the door. (This could potentially get really cheesy, I'd have to see how the party reacts to the painting first).

The party finds scattered notes and writings across the house/hotel/mansion/village/whatever in some other language. It could be on plain paper, or written in blood, or written in the dust behind a Wardrobe. (Possibly Spanish to synergize with the old man, and Latin because it has a certain feel to it) They would range from simple poems, to maniatic monologues. This goes without saying, if the party has the appropriate language-skill, they are able to discern the written content

The party encounters a hound or child in the basement, which is not aggressive, only "sad" (Crying, or sloping). Some way or another (or perhaps they will never) they might find out that the child/dog is immortal (One way to find it out would be if the thing in question would be found impaled on something, which they party could free it from. Or, the thing would have a huge wound which should be fatal).
    Whatever they do to it, it will keep moving to highest possible extent. (Lets say someone finds the dog/baby so freaky they decide to chop its head off, it would still keep moving both body and head together.)

To synergize with the notes, if it's a baby, I think it would be cool to have something written close to the baby in some language. If a PC is able to translate it, it will still be pretty cryptic. The text would tell something along the lines of two great entitys separating. With a successful INT-check, the PC would know that it was a separation between good and evil.
    Now, while that information is being read, one of the players would se another child glaring at him from the shadows outside, possibly from a window or something. That would effectively be the "evil" one of the tho kids.

If I do this, I plan on having the child appear to the one who saw it at different times in the plot. The other players will not be able to see that child.
    If a PC has a skill similiar to: Speak to dead, Receptable to Ghosts, Haunted, Or any other skill referring to the perception or linking with ghosts, they would feel a ghostly presence, a chill, heat, or something. They would also/or see some sort darkness or flicker in the light where the child would be. (Not so much that they could tell its something there, just a second-long flicker)
    Over time I would make the PC not afraid of the child, but attached to it. If he's in a tight situation, the child might help him find his way out. If he's cornered, the child might point towards a previously unseen knife lying in the shadows.
    Somewhere around the climax of the scenario, the child would probably drop its "Good cop"-act and try to make the PC kill his friends. I'm not yet sure what would happen if that would be the case, or exactly how the child would best persuade the PC into killing his friends.

Now, i know you indeed CAN try "too hard", These are just ideas, and while it would be nice to try to implement them all, I'll wait and see what you guys think of it.

Possible themes incorporating above thoughts:
    The party ends up in a house, they find the old man. He was originally the watcher/guardian of the two abovementioned children, but over the years his mind grew weak and the evil kid got to him. (That makes for a pretty intense story on how he lost his sight)
    or
    The old man is infected with something (disease, ghostly, demon) and is trying to fight it. Maybe the phrases he so stubbornly speaks is protection-charms? Later on he'll snap and kill the party.
    or
    The old man is not important at all. If the party kills him or not doesnt matter. They might not even find him. The creature/child/dog in the basement might not be found either. Maybe its just another house in some village, with some entirely different plot?

Last note: Some things I will try to do.
    I've been searching like crazy for tips on how to GM this.
    Some things I'll try to do apart from the regular stuff IRL:

• Turn off the light in the room for a while. Everyone who thought of getting a flashlight to their character at creation gets a flashlight.
    • Have a rubber spider in my pocket. When someone enters a cellar, I'll throw the spider at him. (Combine with flashlight above for greater effect)
    • Living the role, scream when something appears, whisper if they are hiding, try to make them get physical aswell

Short summary: What I'm looking for:
    A basic storyline.
    Critic on the above encounters.
    Post your own encounters! I'd love to see them.
    Tips on the notes scattered around the map?
    They should have a certain air to them, and some sort of unhappy, miserable, crazy theme.
    Example: The wild bunny - Sander Cohen, Bioshock.
    Example - Above a door:
    For though of you who travel the path of life, only death awaits you.
    Heres what I'm trying to incorporate into the plot:

Intrigue and distrust among the players.

Synergy between the encounters (not just a random bunch of scary things slapped together)

Un-cliché things. Even if you free that monster from the trap, it will still kill you.

NPC's interacting with the player. Preferably with a eerie feel about them. Some of them might come back to haunt later.

Phew, this was a lengthy post.
    I hope I haven't scared you away, and that you will hopefully take the time to send a reply. They can be long, short, positive or negative. Every little thing helps.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from the horror forum.

Sincerely yours,
    Jimmy

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only problem I forsee is your set on abandoned abandoned abandoned...

Horror can happen anywhere

take for example something I've got buried in my notes for one day.

Downtown city on a busy night
    PCs are sitting in a car at a stoplight. People are crossing when a woman dressed in all in black with a motor cycle helmet stops in front of the car and turns and points at their car. She raises the visor and you can see a scared face as if from burns and she says "I know thee, I have found thee, AND I WILL NOT LET THEE GO!" (line 27 "America a Prophecy" by William Blake) she pulls out a gun from under her trenchcoat and opens fire. If defeated it is reviled that her body is horribly burned from some previous encounter. Otherwise she will continue to hunt the PCs till they are dead.

This is a start of an idea I have of the stopping a cult from trying to destroy the US government where the plot is a very loose interpretation of "America a prophecy" The PCs will find clues that it is all based around this poem but notice that what Blake wrote is not entirely correct.

[edit] I personally find horror a lot creepier if you
    1. Put it in a familiar setting with just hints of the weird/supernatural
    2. Can play with the lighting (turning it up, down, changing colors etc)
    3. Can play with the music and or sound FXs.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 11-24-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, when i scribbled the past scenarios down, i noticed the abandoned theme. The Hotel á la the Shining we played was full of people, and they added alot to the scaryness.

I've given it a bit of thought, and decided to go for a remote village. There's just something about villages that triggers the "Creepy"-factor for me.
    I'll probably go for the fact that all the villagers are either part of some cult, or most of them is and the others are too scared to speak of it.
    That way, I can incorporate all ideas above into different houses, while still having lots of NPC's around, and making things escalate from there.

Does anyone know of any valid cult motives? Just plain braineaters, or demonsummoners? or perhaps something more complicated than that.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerstyle View Post
    Just plain braineaters, or demonsummoners?
    Personally I would not find that scary. Its too cliche' but my character might still freak out. You could make them scary by adding twists, eating brains gives them the memories of their victims or summoning the demon grants them 3 wishes. The cultist should be everyday people that gain something fantastic by being cultists. What would you sell your soul to the devil for?

[edit] Coal Creek Colorado... Grandpa always said that the coal got in peoples heads made them funny. One day the mine dried up, people moved away and it became nothing but a ghost town except the 9 families who stayed. Grandpa said the 9 were particularly queer. Now a fire has broken out and well silly me I joined the Colorado volunteer fire department. They have been fighting the blaze all week but no one has yet to see a fire, just thick black smoke coming down the mountain and the dead fish floating down the creek. Thomas said they sent a squad into Coal Creek and only one of them returned, his eyes were solid black like coal and his body looked as though he had healed third degree burns but his equipment was fine other than the soot.

[edit2] you could have your child in the basement of a house in the village. I would go watch Aliens again borrowing the dynamic of Newt and how she helps them. Persuading the PC to go after the other ones should not be difficult if you give the kid a sixth sense or some better understanding of whats going on and separate the party. To use Aliens, one of the PCs is separated then finds his way back to the group (having blacked out for part of the time) and the dogs are barking at him and the kid doesn't want to get near him. This should set the other PCs on him like wolves on sheep. The Thing is another one to watch to get the PCs don't trust each other vibe.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 11-24-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The main post feels like a classic haunting. For that you need a catalyst. Why are these ghosts here? Why are they hostile? What powers or manifestations are common amongst the haunting (builds theme)? You have a string of random encounters, so I would reverse engineer and decide what is happening.

Oh, use the child. WAY scarier.

Secondly, I agree that using a Cult That Eats People is cliche, if you're trying to avoid that, you should try something else on.

I am going to brainstorm and try my hat at a general plot outline. Be back in a few...
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm eagerly awaiting your general plot outline, trechriron, and I appreciate your help. I've started sketching a draft on the village from a bird perspective, but its all just random thoughts, I'll probably grab huge chunks (VERY huge chunks) of what you're throwing at me. The sketch is more or less only for me to try and place the encounters in the "real world", since im still struggling with the plot. (Struggling with capitalized letters)

MortonStromgal, I like the twists you mentioned, you've given me heaps of possible twisted cultist powers.
    And I must add, your idea for creating conflict amongst the PC's was brilliant (The dogs barking and the child not wanting to go near him. Effective yet subtle in a way, if you could call it subtle.).
    Have you by any chance more ways of turning PC's greatly or lesser suspicious of eachother?

Downloads
    Uploads
    May I ask, are you wanting something that fits the Kult setting worldview\ supernatural paradigm or are you just using that as the system because your group knows it?
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^
    the latter is the most correct, you could more or less say we are only using it because the group knows about it and have the rules avaliable.
    The only things associated with Kult on a gameplay level are the characters at creation, the pros, cons, dark secrets etc, and of course, the rules.

Ill try to throw in something minor relating to the Kult way of viewing things, but all such things can be considered as extras, especially since most of our players really dont know anything except the super-basic about the Kult world. (Including me, altough im trying to brush up on it, but as I said, its not that important at all)
    The only reason I'm trying to add something Kult-isch at all is so that when the players are asking "What was up with THAT?" then I could simply refer them to a written fact.

Cheers,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal! I am about 50% done. Probably be able to finish up my ideas tonight and post it.
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad to hear that mate

Downloads
    Uploads
    More delays and Turkey Days will see it up by FRI (off work for a week and I am jazzed about this).
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you by any chance more ways of turning PC's greatly or lesser suspicious of eachother?
    Well while I hate to do it (I think it breaks up the flow of the game), pulling PCs aside for a bit of one on one will build PC mistrust especially if you give them conflicting information and if they don't metagame and said the GM told me so. If they are the type who will stay in character they will assume the other PC is lying. Say you have 5 players you take each of them aside into another room and tell them partials of 2 different stories, one that the only way to stop the ghost is to destroy the clock in the kitchen and the other gets destroying the clock will make the ghost stronger. Your odd man out should get a 3rd story that has nothing to do with the clock at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As it is right now, I need a reason for all of them to be there (and more importanly: stay there).
    It would seem really strange if the villagers would want the PC's to snoop around, but on the other hand, if the PC's dont have a strong enough reason to be there, nothing is preventing them from simply walking away when the villagers turn hostile.
    So I'm thinking about making them either Journalists or Private investigators with some kind of assignment/story to complete.

That way, I can make the villagers be ever so secretive and hostile without having the PC's simply go "This is to threathening. I think I'll leave the village"

Edit: By making them journalists, detectives etc, I can also give them some basic knowledge of both latin and spanish due to their professions. (along with some other languages, so it wont seem as planned out)
    Last edited by Jokerstyle; 12-02-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As it is right now, I need a reason for all of them to be there (and more importanly: stay there).
    It would seem really strange if the villagers would want the PC's to snoop around, but on the other hand, if the PC's dont have a strong enough reason to be there, nothing is preventing them from simply walking away when the villagers turn hostile.
    So I'm thinking about making them either Journalists or Private investigators with some kind of assignment/story to complete.

That way, I can make the villagers be ever so secretive and hostile without having the PC's simply go "This is to threathening. I think I'll leave the village"

Edit: By making them journalists, detectives etc, I can also give them some basic knowledge of both latin and spanish due to their professions. (along with some other languages, so it wont seem as planned out)

This also gives you the chance to make them competitive journalists/P.I.'s each one trying to get the best story for their own paper/client/news group, and solves your issue of turning the PC's against eachother without having to really drag them into the other rooms of your house.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The group consists of three people. The year is 2008. A mix of journalists and private detectives. They all know eachother from way back.
    The detectives have been hired, and brought their journalist friends with them, as they always work good together.
    The person who hired the group was born in a village known as Lonesome Creek. At only a few years of age, he, his father, grandfather, relatives, along with most of the village, moved out of there. He never got told why, it was simply a fact.
    He came of age, and got a wife and son.
    His son, named Martin, is the reason the detectives have been called over.
    One day, Martin recieved a letter from a certain "Ted Bundy", claiming to be the mayor of Lonesome Creek. The letter spoke of a relative to Martin who recently passed away, and mentioned Martin in his will.
    Martins father - the one who hired the group - immidietely got suspicious. The village is in total isolation from what he can recall, so he has no idea how they got his adress, and more importanly, how they know about Martin.
    Martin has always had a curious mind, and despite a direct banishment of the idea from his father, Martin sneaked away in the night, took his fathers car and drove away.
    That was one week ago, and he has yet to hear from Martin. The only contact with him was a texted message from his cellphone, saying that he was at the path to Lonesome Creek, and would probably be there in a short while. After that he turned his cellphone off.
    After calling the local police, he was shocked to hear that they can not help him. Lonesome creek is not in their operating area. After a night at the telephones, he was astounded to learn that the area of Lonesome Creek is not in any police district, meaning no station wants to take responsibility for it. He had the feeling most of them didnt even take him seriously, since Lonesome Creek isn't on the map.
    You have worked with this person before, and he has came to appreciate your skills. Yours is the first name he called after learning the strange facts. He is willing to pay you a hefty amount of money to go bring his son back.
    You gladly accept.
    So, that is more or less what the Players will be told at the beginning of the scenario.Here is a longer story, that they will most likely be able to read after the entire scenario is over, if not, than atleast its good for me to know whats going on.

[ Background story - As told by Peter Young]

Lonesome Creek
    A village is often built up with likeminded people, and the villagers eventually share a special bond with eachother, crafted through hardship and understanding. But not in Lonesome Creek.

Some of the families were inbred groups of lunatics. The other folks in the village stayed away from those demented inbreds.
    Over time, the inbreds got more and more aggressive towards the other villagers. Folks started talking about strange noises and flickers of light coming from around their houses at night. Some even said, if you were brave enough to venture outside in the darkness, you'd see strange tracks outside the windows of the houses.

Now, the 'ol folks of Lonesome creek, or Jeremihas Dove as it was called back in the days, were not folks to be superstitious. Surely it was those inbred bastards that were up to some sort of joke. The tracks were due to some of their no-good children playing with sticks. But as time passed, even the hardiest of the villagers started doubting that explanation.
    Surely children couldn't be able to make the noises that sometimes echoed trough the night..

One day, the mayor Jeremiha, a fine and fair mayor according to the townsfolk, gathered up the families said to be responsible for the troubles and scolded them. He told them all that Jeremihas Dove was no place for childrens tales and will'o'wisps. Good 'ol Jeremiha made it clear that if the ones responsible wouldnt come to their senses, he would hang them by their ankles until they had enough blood in the skull to think straight.

And then the killings started.
    At first, it was just scattered deaths, altough they still brought an extreme amount of attention, considering the peaceful past of the village. The first one to meet his maker was Master Thomas, keeper of the villages smithy.
    He was found in the woods. You could almost believe he had stumbled into a bear, they way he was trashed up, except for the fact that even though he was mutilated and partially eaten, there was no blood to be seen. Not on the ground, not in the vicinity - nowhere.

Well, we all met up and buried poor Thomas, it's always a shame when someone dies, but he was a particularly strongwilled man - even for a smith. We buried him up in the cemetary, row 32. I still remember it like yesterday. Then again, the condition he was in when we found him, it's not something to simply slip of your mind.
    The following days life in Jeremihas Dove went on as usual, harvest had to be cropped, bread baked, and tools made. Everyone minded their own bussiness, even the inbred bastards kept to themselves. On that point, the townsfolk all agreed it was for the best.

As the months passed, three more people were strangely found dead. Some of the deaths were clean, as if the people simply went to sleep. But they were healthy young lads so we all suspected murder. Others were not so lucky, Adams boy turned up dead in the village square, and in much worse shape than Master Thomas to say the least. Adam took his own life that very evening. It may sound strange,
    but it actually felt nice to see someone die in a pool of blood again. Except Adam, everyone shared the same strange fenomena - a complete lack of blood.

Now, this particular upcoming sunday was - according to tradition - the "Good luck harvestday", where all the townsfolk gathered up and had a nice evening of singing and dancing to bring good luck to the upcoming harvest. Well, atleast those of us neither dead nor inbred.
    The weather is usually nice on that day, but this time it was all rain. After just a short while, we all gathered up in the village hall to dry ourselves. It was already dark outside, and thunder had started roaming the skies. Of course, we kept our mood high.

A crash of thunder so strong it made the hall shake suddenly made the band stop playing. As the music stopped, the dancing stopped. For a short while, everyone stood staring at eachother. Just as the fluiter started his melody again, we could all hear a loud thump on the great door. It was not the sound of a fist banging, more like the sound of a large piece of meat falling to the floor after getting cut with the butcherknife. I will never forget that sound.

When the door opened, Master Thomas was standing outside in the rain. His mutilated corpse moved jaggedly, as if hanging from invisible wires. But I could see his muscles flexing as he took a slow step into the light. Whatever made old Thomas move, it was no wires. A gasp echoed though the villagers as his full body entered the lantern-lights, now flickering from the wind outside. Where his arms once had been, there existed nothing but large spikes, one for each missing arm. The left spike had a curve at the end, more like a fishinghook then anything else. His eyes were sunken into his skull, but we could all see his them fixing on Jeremiha, even though the dark sockets of his face.
    Slowly, he moved his maggotfestered legs closer to Jeremiha. We were all frozen to the ground, was this really Thomas? Jolly old Thomas who never hesitaded to crack a joke, or do your work for free if you were short on money. Well, he was Jolly old Thomas no more, and as he suddenly paced up towards Jeremiha, the whole hall erupted into chaos.

I myself never saw him closing up on poor Jeremiha. I never saw him impale Jeremihas body on his left arm, lift him into the air and run away into the darkness outside.
    But I heard. By god, I heard every last choking gurgle from our mayor as the limp, mutilated body of Thomas the blacksmith carried him past me in the flickering lights. And I smelled. I smelled the moist dirt from the grave, his decay, and I smelled things I cant even craft a name to.

Filled with fear, dread and shock, we all ran around like decapitaded chickens in the great Village Hall, everyone too afraid to stand still, yet even more afraid to leave the building and run into the dark.
    It was only a few hours left until morningtime, so the strongest of us barricaded the doors and windows and we all await dawn, armed with pitchforks, machetés and other things at hand.
    As daylight shone through the barred windows of the Village hall, we slowly made our way out. Some of us wanted to find the inbreds and punish them. We all believed they were guilty but we had no proof, so we heeded Jeremihas memory. He had never shed blood that was potentially innocent, and neither would he want us to do it. Instead, we started packing our things.

We rounded up all our things, our horses, and our families. It took some time to make it all happen.
    The inbreds stayed behind, we gave them no choice. But some of our own friends and neighbours stayed behind aswell, they refused to listen to arguments. I do not know what makes a man make a decision like that, I can only say that feel sorry for what is coming to them in the night..
    There were a few reports of more dead people turning up like Thomas, but it was all unconfirmed. Always a short glimse by a single spectator of what looked like a familiar shape moving though the village at night. Even the bastard inbreds looked like they were on the brink of a mental breakdown. I guess even vultures fear ravens.

We are now walking the path away from the village. Yesterday the inbreds appointed a new mayor, I think his name was Ted Bundy or something. They can have the damn village. I just want to get out of here.

Peter Young
    anno 1764

It's probably quite hard to fully understand the background due to all the spelling and grammatical errors, but I gave it a shot.
    Anyway, the villagers will be hard to kill (if the PC's try), and as the story deepens, the PCs will start to encounter some of thoose "dead" villagers. As they spend time in the village, they might notice that if someone dies, the villagers cremate his body. They will always do it, and if they dont, they will notice that the body will come back to life. The Mayor Ted Bundy is a cultist, along with his relatives. He has lived for a good 200-300 years, and will most likely continue to do so. His followers believe that he will be able to grant them immortal life, as he has granted it to himself.
    Ted Bundy has the con "Bloodlust", he must drink one litre of human blood each day.
    Some of the villagers will start to realize that the eternal life that Ted Bundy gives them is not as his own. Ted Bundy only gives the kind of immortal life that the blacksmith Thomas got.
    The PC's will be able to find those villagers that have been enlightened and stopped being cultists (mostly the crossovers whom stayed in the village) and they will fill the PC in on some details.

So the story will probably revolve around killing Ted Bundy.
    I want to keep the kids in the storyline, perhaps make the "evil" child Ted Bundys son, whose main purpose in life is to serve as a demonic gateway, or to be sacrificed at the correct age to extend Teds life.
    I dont really have a story for the good child unfortunately, any suggestions?
    I'm thinking about making Ted inhabited by a demon or fiend of some sort, who will get out if ted is killed.
    I'm also considering the possibility that Ted has cast a spell on the village, forbidding anyone to leave without his permission. (If someone tries to leave, they simply wander in circles and end up in the village again). That way, its a bit more emphasized that Ted has got to die.

Meh, long read, you are welcome to be naggy and point out apparent flaws.

Edit: @ Soft-serve - Good call, thats true. Didnt think of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast