Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PDFs vs. Dead Trees

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I know a lot of people are against laptops at the game table. However I usually use my laptop when I GM. There are many programs to speed up combat, keep track of time passing for spell and other effects etc. So back to the point, I like having the physical books, but I also have pdf copies of a lot of material. It beats lugging around a bunch of books and source material and having to keep searching through stacks of information. Despite that, I would never want to ditch my physical books. It is the same as the fact that although there are plenty of dice rolling programs, there is still something comforting about rolling the physical dice.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think PDF's have their practical uses, but dead tree will never die and should never die. If you're gaming, you don't need to bring a million books! Bring the 4 or 5 most important(edition specific). I'm 27 and I bring a backpack with 4 books specific to the game we are playing. I have bookmarks on the pages I use often so there is no fumbling around. I bring dice (because virtual dice suck), and a notebook and pencils. I love dead tree! The feel, the smell. It is tangible, it is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    This newer generation, not all, but a very few, are forming into cliques with a gang-type mentality. Again, a very few, but I've seen it, the hostility, the defensiveness, and the animosity shown not only to those not in the know, but to 'rival' gaming groups as well.
    That's a very dangerous stereotype. You could make the same argument for any age group. Every decade, all generations have seen gangs, thugs, punks. There are good and bad in all groups, ages, and generations. People who were/are in your parents generation said the same thing about your generation, that you just said about another generation. They said you were all punks, miscreants, thugs, no care for manners or rules. No chivalry left, blah, blah, blah. Things only seem to get worse as time goes on because the population increases, and the media only makes money when they put the spotlight on the dark side of humanity...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very pro-PDF, but I also like the deadbooks versions so I can have a really nice gaming bookshelf (see it here). The problem is, bookreaders haven't quite caught up IMO (I really want an 8.5x11 viewable bookreader), and while a laptop is OK, it doesn't fit onto the tabletop as well as a bookreader could. So, I find myself in a somewhat mixed position... I buy PDFs in expectation, but I still haul the important books with me (for now).
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Downloads
    Uploads
    We've seen what people like about PDFs ( searching, compact size, etc. ). These are all good points. So I thought I would add on the other side.

Here's why I like books vs. laptop/e-reader/etc. ( Again, I'm not against PDFs... )

• My books are well organized and easy to find on the shelf
    • I don't have to recharge the battery on my book, or be close to an outlet
    • When I open the book it is instantly on, I don't have to wait for it to turn on or load up
    • If I add notes or place bookmarks, I don't worry about losing that information due to a hard drive crash or a virus
    • I don't worry about whether I have the correct interface or reader or license key
    • I can loan it to someone and not worry about breaking any laws or having any file incompatibility
    • There is an experience to handling a book and turning its pages that is completely lost in any other medium

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by darelf View Post
    We've seen what people like about PDFs ( searching, compact size, etc. ). These are all good points. So I thought I would add on the other side.

Here's why I like books vs. laptop/e-reader/etc. ( Again, I'm not against PDFs... )

• My books are well organized and easy to find on the shelf
    • I don't have to recharge the battery on my book, or be close to an outlet
    • When I open the book it is instantly on, I don't have to wait for it to turn on or load up
    • If I add notes or place bookmarks, I don't worry about losing that information due to a hard drive crash or a virus
    • I don't worry about whether I have the correct interface or reader or license key
    • I can loan it to someone and not worry about breaking any laws or having any file incompatibility
    • There is an experience to handling a book and turning its pages that is completely lost in any other medium
    Bravo!! This is exactly why I am not fond of PDFs, particularly the last point.

Oh well, the more advanced we become the more we forget or lose. Anyone still know how to use a slide-rule? Or even know what it is? Hell, the Dewey Decimal system even fell out of fashion for books in favor of Library of Congress filing. All those library classes in grade school just to understand Dewey...gone to waste.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    very well put Darelf! I love how people talk trash about dead tree by saying, "well I can find the spot in the PDF much faster than someone can find it in a book. LOL heard of bookmarks? When I bring books to games I bookmark the important pages that I use. In my 3.5 players handbook I have like 12 pages bookmarked. I can get to any of them in mere seconds...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234