Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Draconomicon Art Gallery

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Draconomicon Art Gallery

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Draconomicon Art Gallery

From brown, to purple, to gray dragons—here’s the full set of illustrations from Draconomicon. Use these illos to show your players what fearsome creatures you’re about to unleash upon them!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PnP News Bot View Post

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Draconomicon Art Gallery

From brown, to purple, to gray dragons—here’s the full set of illustrations from Draconomicon. Use these illos to show your players what fearsome creatures you’re about to unleash upon them!
    I'm of the opinion that there are just too many types of dragons, but if you like dragons, youll like these pictures. My fear with all the types of dragons is in the fact that it can be overdone and gamers will get tired of them, not unlike the drow.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    I'm of the opinion that there are just too many types of dragons, but if you like dragons, youll like these pictures. My fear with all the types of dragons is in the fact that it can be overdone and gamers will get tired of them, not unlike the drow.
    In some ways it's a general problem with "Monster Manuals" and the like: if the GM can read about some beastie, then so can the players. Designers come up with variations in an attempt to keep critters fresh, but eventually the players learn how to beat those too.

A better solution would be "monster generators". Ideally a GM should be able to design a creature from scratch in very little time. However, built-in mechanisms to customize existing creatures, such as Chaos mutations in Warhammer and RuneQuest, would also work. Wizards are the ultimate monsters in that respect: there's no telling what spells they have prepared (unless they're 4e PC classes).

Of course, an easier solution is to reuse the same "monsters" ... who are intelligent, versatile, and can use tactics. In a Midnight campaign most of our adversaries were goblins, orcs, and legates, who had their own goals and agendas, and who used their environment and tactical advantages to the fullest.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)