Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Where Do I Post?

Downloads
    Uploads

Where Do I Post?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm sure other people have probably asked questions like this, but I have a specific one that has paralyzed my posting on the topic.

Exalted.

It's not WoD ( and there aren't any Exalted threads in that forum.... or any forum ) and it's not exactly Dark Future, or SciFi, or Fantasy, or, or, or.....

I don't want to post about Exalted in a forum where it isn't wanted.

( For that matter, is there some "catch-all" category for stuff like Nobilis, or Life With Master that don't fit in the regular genre categories? )

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your best bet is probably fantasy, as that or anime are the over-arcing themes in Exalted.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It might depend on what the actual question is. There are a couple of categories under Fantasy. If it has to do with a GM/DM quandry, you could submit it to the "Ask the GM" section. Then there is always the General category under the Players Portal section. If you post it in a particular section and it would be better somewhere else, there have been the occaisional times that someone's post has been moved by either Farcaster or one of his Moderators. If this happens, don't take it as being in trouble. Of course, this question could also lead to another section being added to the site.

Now, what is the question that you would like to ask of us here on the site?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for help/samples/etc. on Exalted rules. That is, things like the use of Virtues, combat in general ( although I found a fantastic pdf on that ), charm/combo questions, etc. Very specific Exalted things.

I'm starting a campaign this weekend, and 2nd edition seems so completely different from 1st edition. I tried to run a sample combat with a couple of friends to see how it works, and it was just confusing and frustrating. Of course, I've since found a great step-by-step for combat that they really should have put in the main rulebook it's so good....

Anyway, as things come up in game, I'd like to be able to pose questions in the right forum. I ask preemptively because I want to be sensitive to others.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As a person who's been running exalted for a long while, I can certainly sympathize. If you'd like to, you can PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Good luck on your new campaign and I hope you all have a blast
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by darelf View Post
    Of course, I've since found a great step-by-step for combat that they really should have put in the main rulebook it's so good....
    Share the link please
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If enough of you guys play Exalted want to talk and show a bunch of posts about it (I'd go for Fantasy too!) you can always throw yourselves at the mercy of Farcaster and ask him to create a sub-forum for it.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll chime in on fantasy.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was recruiting for an Exalted PbP game for a while there. If it'd garnered any interest here, that might've been a basis for a subforum request For now tho, I'm running the module over at the Tangled Web.

On a somewhat related note, my group and I are working on a conversion of Exalted to the modern setting. I've already got some good material, but where would I put that to get the response/advice of the P&PG community? Fantasy or Modern campaign resources? I'm focusing on using resources from the old and new World of Darkness (such as the nWoD armory book and the like) and converting them to existing Exalted mechanics so that an Exalted player could easily use the new setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could post articles in the article/blogs section of PnPG
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    Share the link please
    np, http://www.bazzalisk.org/exalted/201X.pdf

It's basically a walk through of a very complex combat that starts between mortals and scales up. I found it extremely useful.

Oh, and the game went great! We did spend the majority of time on the character creation, but our first combat went pretty smoothly. Some issues came up, such as how exactly minimum damage works (I think it only applies at the point where you are soaking the damage dice?).

The most amazing thing was during character creation, people used Social as the dump stats, and I ignored reading anything about social combat, and then during the first encounter with possible enemies the PCs went completely social trying to convince, intimidate, etc. So, we just RPed it, but I want to be prepared for next time so I will read up on the social combat stuff and we will give that a try. It's bound to come up, and the players I think have realized they will actually use it, unlike most other RPGs we have played....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you make a successful attack, meaning you get more successes on your attack roll than the target's DV, then the rule is you get to roll at least 1d10 damage regardless if the target would soak it.

If your weapon has the O (overwhelming) tag on it, then the number after the slash is the minimum damage: the minimum amount of dice you roll after you apply the target's soak to your raw damage pool (Str + Dmg + xtra successes). If what's left after soak is less than your minimum damage, you roll your minimum damage instead.

If your Essence is higher than the minimum damage (number after the slash) or if your weapon has no minimum damage, you roll your Essence in dice rather than the minimum damage (because you are just that powerful, I guess ).

The exception to all of these rules is Hardness, a rare trait of heavy armors and artifact armors as well as some Charms. If the target has a Hardness rating greater than your raw damage, you do not get to roll damage at all. His armor defends him perfectly. If you get more raw damage than his Hardness rating, continue as normal with subtracting his soak and rolling damage against him.

On a side note, if a character has multiple Hardnesses affecting him (such as he is wearing artifact armor with a Hardness and has also activated a Charm that gives him Hardness) they do not stack. You take the highest level of Hardness for that damage type (Bashing, lethal or aggravated) and use that as the applicable Hardness trait.

If you are looking into social combat, be aware that there are only 7 traits which really matter in the social combat arena. They are:
    Charisma
    Manipulation
    Appearance
    Presence
    Performance
    Investigation
    Integrity

Your Appearance is compared with your opponent's. If you have a higher Appearance, they have a mental DV penalty equal to the difference (up to -3) and your mental defenses are at a bonus to their attacks equal to the difference (again, up to +3). You make social "attacks" using either Charisma (for honest, directness) or Manipulation (for deception or slyness) plus Presence, Performance or Investigation. Performance is almost always used when addressing groups rather than individual opponents. Investigation is used to seek out points of weakness in their arguments or in their "mental armor" that you can penetrate with a particularly well phrased attack. It is also used to sense their motives and relationships with other people in the social combat. Integrity is used in calculating your mental dodge DV rather than as an attack Ability.

The other social Abilities are considered to operate on too long a timescale to be used in social combat. These are Socialize and Bureaucracy, iirc.
    Last edited by GoddessGood; 11-17-2008 at 11:32 AM.