Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone attempted a GI Joe GURPS campaign?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Anyone attempted a GI Joe GURPS campaign?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have never played GURPS before but would be interested in seeing if a Joe RPG game could be adapted to the rules.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never played in one. Never even thought about it, but it does sound like an interesting idea. It wouldnt surprise me if there arent at least a few gamers on these boards that have done so.

Btw, welcome to the boards.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I'm going to look into it some more and see if anyone has attempted and if not, see if it's feasible or not. Just figured with such a broad range of characters it might be pretty cool.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic2460 View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to look into it some more and see if anyone has attempted and if not, see if it's feasible or not. Just figured with such a broad range of characters it might be pretty cool.
    Anything is 'feasible.' This is role/roll-playing, after all. Go for it!
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the boards. I've never seen a campaign built around GI Joe, but I'm willing to bet that there are more than a few websites out there with gamers who have done so. You may also want to check out an RPG called Cartoon Action Hour which is a game that was designed to emulate the action cartoons of the '80s. I believe one of the sample campaigns was very reminiscent of GI Joe.

On a related note, there is a GURPS campaign concept that is very interesting and while it isn't fully "GI Joe", it does have Cobra Commander :

Last edited by Webhead; 11-13-2008 at 09:57 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here you go, i have that one in one of my albums. =D

nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Gargamel is hot : he's pimping blue chicks, unlike Skeletor who's got halitosis
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never even thought about doing a GI Joe game and don't think I would like it cause I can't stand GI Joe, but I think it's very cool that someone is thinking about GURPS and I believe that it would work very well. It seems to me that GI Joe would probably play well at the 200pt level to allow the characters to do some of the crazy outlandish things they do.

Plus I would definitely use Martial Arts to spice up the combat scenes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I would definetely play the game as a more "modern soldier" with more of a special forces element rather than the old cartoon perception of laser guns that never hit anybody and the corny story lines. I remember playing with the figures as a kid and me and my friends always trying to find a way to make it seem more like a game rather than just "playing with army guys."

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to cover GI Joe. The biggest difference between it and a regular military campaign would be the special vehicles, which GURPS Vehicles could DEFINITELY handle (although that means needing to use 3e instead of 4e until they get the time to convert Vehicles). Can't really say I'd want to play in it, but it is more than feasible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    tired it one time many years ago. My group at the time were not impressed as they did not like GI Joe. Ah well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another game with GURPS-like detail is Spycraft 2.0. There is a campaign setting for Spycraft 2.0 that is blatantly... inspired by G.I. Joe called Real American H.E.R.O.es. I'd look there for some good inspiration for running a G.I. Joe GURPS campaign.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sitting here, mouth open. No, I never even considered it, but you might have something there. Not my personal cup of tea, but it is a conflict rich environment.

GURPS would be a good thing to go with. It does normals, light supers very well. The kind of critters you find in the GI Joe setting.

I would recommence the "Action" series of source books. Designed for the typical action blockbuster type adventure.

I'm of the opinion that game aside GURPS source books are not a waste of money.
    Last edited by tesral; 05-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Action for sure. I found that Action 2 might be my favorite GURPS purchase. That little book gets me going every time I read it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cartoon Action Hour, mentioned by Webhead, does have a GI Joe like setting. Season 2 has the series Strikeforce Freedom. The first edition has the Darkness Unleashed book but while the heroes are soldiers, the enemy are supernatural creatures (mummy, werewolf, etc.) so it isn't as close to GI Joe. I definitely recommend the game. It is designed for 80s action cartoon shows.

Cartoon Action Hour Season 3 has started a kickstarter campaign. It's already passed it's goal. There have been two previous editions of the game. The first is very different from the second. The new edition is probably going to be close to the second season.

If you are a fan of He-Man try to free playset for season 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast