Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Looking for Character Ideas
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Looking for Character Ideas

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for Character Ideas

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My friend "B" and I have been accepted into a Star Wars gaming group. We've never played the SW RPG before (unless you count the KOTOR video games), and we're pretty new to PnP in general. So anyway, B and I will be joining an existing group, and we're expected to roll up characters in advance. The problem is, I'm not really sure what class I want to try first.

The DM says he's not restricting any classes, so Jedi are okay (light side only), but I think I'm going to go with something simple for my first character. I asked him for suggestions on what the party needs, and what other classes were already in the party, but he kind of dodged the question. Maybe he considers it metagaming to roll up our characters that way, or maybe he just wants to see what we come up with on our own. (Or maybe he's just really busy and the universe doesn't revolve around me.) The only instructions he gave were on how to roll up our stats (he doesn't use point-buy/standard array, just dice rolls).

So anyway, B and I have been working on our characters together, studying the PHB and doing our best to fill out our character sheets correctly. We decided on a pair of Twi'leks. We figured having some connection between our characters might make it easier to write them into the story, so we're going to be a brother/sister team. He's settled on "scoundrel" for his first character (He always plays rogues in RPGs). But I'm still trying to decide what to do for mine.

In D&D (mostly computer games), I've generally played bards, fighters (especially archers), and rogues. Roleplay-wise, most of my characters have been kind, funny, and generous, though not particularly brave. I probably could have gotten into clerics (because I like helping people), but in the video games I always found them too complicated. Since I like bards, my first thought was to do an entertainer-type, so I rolled up a Noble (working on the "inspiration" talent tree). Thinking maybe my brother (B's character) would be like my manager or something. But I don't know, are nobles always, well, "noble"? Meaning, does the class imply a noble lineage, political position, etc? Would a noble likely be paired with a scoundrel that way? Besides that, a Twi'lek entertainer is kind of trite, I think. Almost bordering on racist. "Oh, she's a Twi'lek, so she must be a dancer."

I also thought about making her another scoundrel (it runs in the family), but with different skills so our characters aren't too similar (B is concentrating on stealth). I was also curious about the scout class - I haven't quite figured out the point of scouts yet, as I keep trying to decide what the D&D equivilent is for each class. I thought maybe making her a computer/mechanical expert would be fun, but then I felt I was copying too much from KOTOR.

I guess when I get down to it, I'm having more trouble deciding on her background than her actual class/build. Using the PHB, I can probably put together a build based on her personality, if I can just nail down her personality first. I'm not really into min/maxing stats, nor do I think it would be the appropriate for this group anyway. I don't care about powerful characters; I'm really just looking for suggestions on what is fun to play.

Some data: We are playing the Saga edition. We are allowed to use the KOTOR sourcebook if we want, but not the Force Unleashed sourcebook (too overpowered). The game takes place about 1000 years after KOTOR, so we won't be affected much by many established events. We will be joining a story already in progress. All I know about the story right now is that it sounds a bit like Firefly/Serenity. It sounds like the game is more roleplay-oriented than combat intensive, and I don't think they even use miniatures. With the addition of us, the group will have 7 players (I think). Our first session might be this Sunday, if enough players can make it.

Any help would be hot.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To answer your question about the "Noble" class, they don't have to be nobility necessarily. "Noble" is really more of a quick reference term for a character who is about leadership, prestige, charisma and pulling strings. They are the "legitimate" version of the Scoundrel. Scoundrels excel at shady dealings while Nobles tend to excel at kosher dealings using more socially acceptible means.

The great thing about Saga's Talent Tree system is that two characters can have the same class and yet take very different paths. From the sound of it, you would probably be leaning toward either the Noble, Scoundrel or Sout classes as Soldier and Jedi don't seem to be your bag.

Scout is kinda the stand-in for the D&D Ranger. The scout excels at pathfinding, survival, stealth and using the environment to his advantage.

A Twi'lek could easily fit any of those 3 classes, it just depends on the concept. As a brother/sister duo, I would almost say that it might be interesting to go Noble to compliment the shady underhandedness of the Scoundrel. The Noble would be more of the up-front, visible "face" of the pair and distracts targets to buy time for the Scoundrel to do his "dirty work". Then of course, you can always multiclass later if you find that you want to open up other abilities to match your evolving concept. That's the most liberating part about Saga. You can mix and match things until you find the best representation for your character.

Here's also some info on Twi'leks that might inspire ideas:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Twi%27lek

Let us know how it goes.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    As a brother/sister duo, I would almost say that it might be interesting to go Noble to compliment the shady underhandedness of the Scoundrel. The Noble would be more of the up-front, visible "face" of the pair and distracts targets to buy time for the Scoundrel to do his "dirty work".
    Oooh, I like that.... hmmm....

Downloads
    Uploads
    The great thing about Saga is that it is very class friendly when it comes to party make-up. You can have a party mix of man different classes and still be effective in a combat situation. This is something that Saga excels at and probably a reason why your GM did not give you any other hints to the rest of the party make up.

I would suggest Noble as well and for all the reasons web head said. Being Twi'lek will help in those classes also!

Post your stats when you finish them, it will be interesting to see what you have come up with.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Post your stats when you finish them, it will be interesting to see what you have come up with.
    Thanks!

I've got my character sheet mostly filled out. After racial adjustments I ended up with:
    STR 10, DEX 15, CON 11, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 17

This gave me 8 skills to train in (class is 6, +2 INT modifier), and I picked:
    Deception, Gather Information, Initiative, Perception, Persuasion, Pilot, Treat Injury, and Use Computer.

...though I'm still thinking on a couple of those.

I chose Inspire Confidence as my first talent, but I was torn between that and Bolster Ally. I haven't quite decided on a feat yet. If I'm reading this correctly, the Noble's automatic "Linguist" feat means I also get to pick 3 additional languages.

I rolled 4+4+1 (x400) on my starting credits, so I have 3600 credits to spend on starting gear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
    Thanks!

I've got my character sheet mostly filled out. After racial adjustments I ended up with:
    STR 10, DEX 15, CON 11, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 17

This gave me 8 skills to train in (class is 6, +2 INT modifier), and I picked:
    Deception, Gather Information, Initiative, Perception, Persuasion, Pilot, Treat Injury, and Use Computer.

...though I'm still thinking on a couple of those.

I chose Inspire Confidence as my first talent, but I was torn between that and Bolster Ally. I haven't quite decided on a feat yet. If I'm reading this correctly, the Noble's automatic "Linguist" feat means I also get to pick 3 additional languages.

I rolled 4+4+1 (x400) on my starting credits, so I have 3600 credits to spend on starting gear.
    Looks good so far. You may want to take Knowledge (galactic lore). It is a general knowledge skill that can come in handy a lot.

Thats a good amount of credits to buy some good gear, blaster pistol, a datapad, comlink, etc...

And yes you do gain +3 extra languages from the Linguist feat!

Downloads
    Uploads

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cathar Jedi/melee duelist. A proper selection of talents and feats make you a fast killing machine that is almost unhitable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansatan View Post
    Cathar Jedi/melee duelist. A proper selection of talents and feats make you a fast killing machine that is almost unhitable.
    I'd really like to try Cathar sometime, but I'm going to save that for a later character.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its funny that you mention KOTOR...

because that's what got me so deeply interested in the Saga. When the game ended i was like "thats it??" and freaked out... until i discovered saga.

--which was actually the framework for bioware's game. sans a lot of PC classes etc. infact im playing Kotor now. lol
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Nerd v2.135 (final) View Post
    Its funny that you mention KOTOR...

because that's what got me so deeply interested in the Saga. When the game ended i was like "thats it??" and freaked out...
    (Spoiler Alert) Well, you want to talk about bad endings, KOTOR 2 was especially anticlimactic. "Okay, what happens next? Wait, why are the credits rolling?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol. seriously though.

I wish they had made kotor I/II as easily modifiable and malleable as Neverwinter Nights. It would have been COMPLETELY awesome if people could create modules for Kotor, and even do their own voice acting and scripting as some very patient and talented people have done with NWN2.

But still, despite the limited scope of possibilities for character dev in that game (either one) they were really something else. especially when they came out, which was only a year after Icewind Dale was released. unprecedented.
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    OH! BTW,
    that new game bioware is working on, the MMO one 'the old republic', will not be based on the SW d20 system. It will be a completely different kind of game that will be wholly divorced from any such pen and paper core mechanic. The reason for this is the mere expense of obtaining a licence from Hasbro to use the d20 system. bioware apparently has some kind of partnership with lucasarts in the development of SW:TOR, where Lucasarts call all the major shots in game design and development, and in return bioware doesn't need to obtain an unbelievable expensive star wars licence.
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lucas Licensing is know for its tight control of Star Wars products. They are the reason why it takes so long to get RPG content developed.

Although I liked the KotOR video games I am really hoping that the MMO is much better.

Back on topic, Fury, how did your character turn out?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Back on topic, Fury, how did your character turn out?
    Well, I haven't gotten a chance to play her yet - the game keeps getting postponed for various reasons.